Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

[C5] Aftermarket head unit w/ or w/o Bose amp/speakers

Old 07-17-2015, 08:57 AM
Electron2002
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default [C5] Aftermarket head unit w/ or w/o Bose amp/speakers

It's a foregone conclusion for me that the factory head unit is coming out of my 2002 coupe, in favor of a double din navigation head unit (likely a Pioneer NEX8100).

However, I am not very interested in installing a separate amp or adding a sub. I am either going to leave the Bose amp and speakers in place and install an interface between the h/u and Bose amp OR I am going to bypass the Bose amp all together and install aftermarket speakers (most likely component sets) powered strait off the h/u.

Realizing there are still plenty of variables to consider (most notably: which speakers I use). Given the two possible configurations, which tends to offer the better results?
Old 07-17-2015, 09:01 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

There isn't an amp in C5, only a Bose processor. The door subs will still be self powered with the Pioneer, but the front and rear twiddlers will be powered directly off the HU.

The stock door subs aren't anything special, but really aren't all that bad for what they are. If you're dead set against a real sub in the trunk I would recommend an ROEM-Vet1 interface and upgraded oem sized 2-way speakers for the fronts and rears (3.5" in front and 6.5" in rear, both standard 4 ohm).

Dennis can hook you up with everything you need

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C5] Aftermarket head unit w/ or w/o Bose amp/speakers