Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Kenwood DDX9902s

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 01:46 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Kenwood DDX9902s

I installed the DDX9902s from Double D Mods. I have a few issues that I hope can be worked out. Perhaps some of you that have the unit installed can help me out a little. I'll call Dennis if I can't get some the issues corrected on my own.
* Almost no sound from the rear speakers. They worked fine with factory Bose HU. I checked each speaker through the fade and balance on the factory system before removing it. I have the PAC RP5-GM11 installed as I am still using the Bose amp.
* Bluetooth of pandora is terrible. Have to increase the volume level to 30 to hear anything. 35 is the max on this HU. HD radio is good at 14 volume level but not near as clear as the factory Bose HU. The sound quality of pandora via bluetooth is bad enough that it is difficult to tell what song is playing and the display info is in constant "waiting" mode.
* Backup camera opens as soon as the car is started and put in reverse, but then goes off when the radio finally boots up. It restarts but it blanks out when you really need it.
* no way to tell the radio station or song info as that information is listed as "waiting" and sometimes takes 15 to 20 minutes before that info is displayed, even on local stations that are immediately displayed in the truck and other car. Maybe an update will come out, when Kenwood sees that some issues may need to be addressed.
* received a phone call on bluetooth. Both the phone speaker and stereo "buzzer" went off at the same time. No information on who the caller was. Previous setup on my phone, if it senses that the vehicle is moving, the phone or instant message information is relayed to me via audio and then asks if I want to answer or send a message that I am driving. Never touch the phone. I miss that feature now. Perhaps if the phone gets replaced with one that can be mirrored with the HU. Have to answer every call without caller ID.
Any help with any of these issues would be appreciated if you have seen them or corrected them.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Ken G
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an audiophile or electronics whiz like some of the people around here so take what I say with a grain of salt. I put the DDX9902s in my 2009 ZR1 a few weeks ago to make better use of the abilities of my Samsung Galaxy S5 in the car and ditch the factory navigation. Any improvement in sound quality was going to be an added bonus because the Bose amp and stock speakers were staying.

Anyway, I installed the HU using the RP5-GM11 (prewired by DD) without any trouble. I did not add any cameras or Sat. radio. I did run the HDMI to MHL and USB cables into the center console for mirroring and/or Android Auto. I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement in sound quality and all speakers appear to be working properly. I don't use the HD radio much so I haven't noticed if the "information" is coming through.

The stock Kenwood interface works fine in Bluetooth without problems with Pandora or Bluetooth phone function (including caller ID). The media volume on the actual phone does need to be turned up to get adequate volume through the HU. However, the Kenwood mirroring interface is horrible (HDMI to MHL). Navigating the phone is difficult and screen touches are very inaccurate. I wouldn't try to start an app while driving!

The reason I choose this HU was Android Auto. It requires a hardwired USB connection but works great. Voice commands are recognized flawlessly (my mic is mounted next to the OnStar mic) and the interface is much better than Kenwood's, although you can switch between the two seamlessly. There is no Pandora support yet in Android Auto so I have been using Spotify. I just took my first long road trip with Android Auto yesterday and it performed almost perfectly. Google navigation, voice commands, voice messaging and streaming music all worked without a problem. I did make and receive a couple of phone calls during the trip without any problem. At the end of the second leg of my trip (about 4 hours of driving), I did receive a call (in Android Auto) which did not show an incoming call message on the screen (just the ring tone through the speakers) and I could not "pick up" the phone because there was no notification on the screen and the steering wheel control wouldn't work. I don't know if this was a problem with my phone, the HU or Android Auto. Clearly, this is early in the evolution of Android Auto and I'm sure this type of glitch will become rare going forward.

Ken
Old 08-09-2015, 09:32 PM
hydrasport
Pro

If you have upgraded the phone to the 5.0 op system then it may work better than mine. I cannot get an upgrade to 5.0 yet.
What is the part number of the hdmi cord that you are using? Does it charge the phone while it's plugged into the phone?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:20 PM
Ken G
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrasport
If you have upgraded the phone to the 5.0 op system then it may work better than mine. I cannot get an upgrade to 5.0 yet.
What is the part number of the hdmi cord that you are using? Does it charge the phone while it's plugged into the phone?
Yes, my galaxy S5 is running 5.0. I am using the Kenwood KCA-MH100 HDMI to MHL cable. Samsungs need a 5 pin to 11 pin adapter on the end of that cable (just a few bucks on amazon). The phone does charge with both the MHL cable and the USB cable. I really don't like the mirroring interface via the HDMI, though. If you get upgraded to 5.0, go with the USB and Android Auto.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:28 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

is it in DEMO mode by chance?
Old 08-11-2015, 01:48 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Not in demo mode.
I can change radio stations but it usually is not able to list any info about the station or song, at best the radio station is listed. All other info is on permanent "waiting".
I've ordered a hdmi/mhl 5 pin cable to try. Have not tried maps yet.
And don't forget to add a trigger wire to the purple wire that operates the back up camera when car is in reverse. Had to go back and do that.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:51 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The trigger wire is on the back of the radio and has to go to the harness yes...
Without connecting the harness to the radio on this radio we cannot make the connection for you. The other radios from Kenwood have this in the harness to connect for you.

The waiting info comes form the radio stations broadcasting...what they broadcast shows.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:20 AM
hydrasport
Pro

The 'waiting" message never shows on my truck or car stereo, only on the ddx9902s. Like in the picture you posted of the install instructions for this stereo, the "waiting" appears on that screen also. I don't understand why my factory truck radio can display all of the station and song information and this 9902s cannot display any of that same station or song information. It has 3 permanent "waiting" messages on the screen for every song on every station. Tonight the radio froze and I had no control other than volume. Could not turn it off or change stations through either steering wheel controls or touchscreen.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:01 PM
hydrasport
Pro

"Yes, my galaxy S5 is running 5.0. I am using the Kenwood KCA-MH100 HDMI to MHL cable. Samsungs need a 5 pin to 11 pin adapter on the end of that cable (just a few bucks on amazon). The phone does charge with both the MHL cable and the USB cable. I really don't like the mirroring interface via the HDMI, though. If you get upgraded to 5.0, go with the USB and Android Auto."

Does the KCA MH100 cable charge your phone? I just installed that cable and it does not charge my phone.

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood DDX9902s

Quick Reply: Kenwood DDX9902s