Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dash camera installation of the cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 01:21 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Dash camera installation of the cam

A different way to install a dash camera. Most place it right on the windshield, i just wanted a view from in and outside. It gives you a recreation of the ride, recorded like you were a backseat passenger Installations right on the windshield can be found many places on YouTube.

Install was for a Mini 0806. Here is a couple views before you see the installation performed...

Installed to right and behind driver seat.
A - metal bracket bent with a lip to slide between plastic trim and rubber seal.
B - bolt to attach top of suction bracket to top of metal strip
C - bolt to attach bottom of suction bracket to middle of metal strip
D - 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener SJ3560 tape to attach cam to swivel base
E - bottom of metal bracket
F - 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener SJ3560 tape to attach bracket with everything attached , to the headliner plastic trim.

Running power cord from cam to the fuse panel. The purple circle in bottom right pic is where a xmas-tree type pin has to be removed to get the cord behind the trim.

continuing the cable, supplied was 6 feet , an additional 10 feet of usb was required to reach fuse box. The bottom right picture shows..
purple circle is the 'add a circuit', put it into wiper/heated seat slot (see your manual) to have power only when car is running
red circle is a duel usb where cam cable plugs into
green circle is some more 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener SJ3560 tape

3M Sj3560

12v cig lighter outlet and usb lighter charger.....or....ones that come with usb built in

add a circuit

Mini0806 ,note 807 will be out soon. (yes its a pic of a 805, but they are so similar, no one will know it if we dont tell them!)

10' ysb extension cable, note that 28/24awg has less voltage loss than 28/28awg...

you might add some ferrite cores if your usb cable doesnt have them, to reduce static

Daytime drive........

Night time drive, with the CPL (polarizing lens filter) on, with it off it would be a little clearer/brighter...

Short clip on Route 66. It's really too bad i had visor down, so you really cant see much, sorry about that!!!

Some points to consider when comparing different cams....
resolution quality , video quality day & night , functions , max sd card size , price , size , reviews , reliability , viewing angles , GPS , sound quality , polarizing filter , more i cant think of right now.

the best place for researching what cam to get is here...
https://dashcamtalk.com/
https://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-comparison-tool/
http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/da...son-mid-price/
https://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-buying-guide/

you can also go to a dash camera forum and see what folks for the brand you sorta picked out are saying....
https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/
plus ask questions , such as.. who sells xxxxxxx in my country in case i need to return it or need support.

If you notice the dash camera has two 'tick' marks at the top of the lens. One on the camera body and one on the lens. I put those there so when i remove and replace the CPL filter, it will be turned correctly. A CPL filter is a polarizing filter like certain sunglasses (and 3D glasses). It reduces glare and the reflection of your dash on the windshield. It will also reduce the brightness some, which is fine in the daytime, but at night its does that too well! So if you want the best night time quality , you remove it and replace for daytime. This is an optional lens you can purchase for the Mini0806.

I researched the 3M Duel-Lock tape(s).
Some interesting facts...
•Rubber Adhesive- Use indoors up to120° F.
•Acrylic Adhesive- Outdoor use up to200° F.
•Low Profile– Flexible and invisible. For use up to 158°F.
3M SJ3560 is a clear tape with Acrylic Adhesive, it is for indoor & outdoor , and is UV resistant.
3M Id : 70-0704-2838-1
Specifications indicate it has a 1,000 time open/closure lifecycle before degrading to less than 50% strength.
Setup time on first applying is 24 hours (if i remember right) to reach max attachment strength.
It's most commonly known use is to hold up windshield toll transponders. I found that you can get this from Amazon sellers, just put in.... 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener SJ3560 250 Clear, 1 in x 6 Ft........ in your Amazon search. Remember that if you get 6 feet, that is only really 3 feet after sticking together. It will run you about $21.00 for 6 one sided feet.

Last edited by ChevyDave; 08-12-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:15 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Glare needs to be reduced by mainly a very clean windshield and a polarizing filter. Notice the lens has a white tick mark at the top on both the camera body and the lens, thats because the lens has filter cover and the marks are there to align them.

Video taken with lens on, with heavy clouds, so it would be brighter with lens off. Sample of another video, gives you the 'backseat' view...

driving in the rain. note the 'crackle sounds' which appear to be the rain splatters. some dash camera have excellent audio and then some very poor. again , if i remember this is with the CPL filter on..

True night time driving and again i seem to always leave the filter on. Note also that the inside is quite clear, almost like i should 'tweek' the focus on the cam, which some do and looks i should too!

Last edited by ChevyDave; 09-07-2015 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Dash camera installation of the cam