Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Stuck HU with US Acoustics Amp, Focal Utopia 165W, and ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 02:26 AM
FNC80
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Default Stuck HU with US Acoustics Amp, Focal Utopia 165W, and ????

My head is spinning since deciding to change out the audio!!

I need help!!!

1. Would this setup work?
2. What subs can I use in the rear speaker enclosures?
3. How are US Acoustics amps? Thezeb.com seem to be up on them.
4. Where do the amp(s) mount in a C5 Coupe?
5. Do I need 2 amps?

Thanks! :)
Old 08-28-2002, 03:48 AM
ZippoMan
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Stuck HU with US Acoustics Amp, Focal Utopia 165W, and ???? (FNC80)

If you are planning to upgrade your system there is no point using the stock HU - for a few hundred you can get a nice Alpine that'll make everything sound better.

If you are using the Focal 165Ws you will not need rear speakers. As a whole the audio community seems to agree that rear speakers are not needed if you have a high quality set of components such as the 165Ws.

If you are not a bass nut, and want to stick with 1 amplifier, I would look into the various 5 channel amplifiers that are on the market. A good example would be the JL Audio 500/5. It offers 100x2 25x2 and 250x1. This should give you plenty of power for the components and 250 watts for the sub. If you want more heavy hitting bass most likely you will have to go with a 2 amplifier setup such as a JL 300/2 and 500/1.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:55 AM
FNC80
Safety Car

Default Re: Stuck HU with US Acoustics Amp, Focal Utopia 165W, and ???? (ZippoMan)

I wanted to keep the stock HU because I run mainly CDs and from what I've read, it's not too bad, plus I want to keep the stock look.

Gotcha on not needing rear speakers.

Can I put a pair of subs in the rear speaker enclosure?

Thanks for the JL Audio 500/5 amp advice. I'll look into this one.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:07 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

US Acoustics are the best in their price range MHO

Why dont you get a JL AUDIO Stealth Box for your sub?

Old 08-28-2002, 04:14 AM
ZippoMan
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand how you want to keep a stock look. There would still be an improvement but its like most things, "strong as the weakest link" - in this case the weak link would be the HU. If you are putting in a high quality set of Focals and using the stock deck they would definitely not be running at their potential.

PAIR? Two 10s may fit, but I think 1 12" would be your best choice. JL makes very good subwoofers, checkout their power rating chart and see what subwoofers go along best with 250 watts (if you choose the 500/5 amplifier). From my experience one 12" sounds better than two 10s anyway.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:17 AM
FNC80
Safety Car

Default Re: Stuck HU with US Acoustics Amp, Focal Utopia 165W, and ???? (Kale)

US Acoustics are the best in their price range MHO
I just read a not too glowing review of the JL 500/5, the main criticism being the regulated power supply cutting into the sound quality.

Why dont you get a JL AUDIO Stealth Box for your sub?
Do they make one for the C5 and how much space will it take up? Where can I find a pic of one or a place that sells them?

Also, why can't a sub go into the stock rear enclosures?
Old 08-28-2002, 04:19 AM
FNC80
Safety Car

Default Re: Stuck HU with US Acoustics Amp, Focal Utopia 165W, and ???? (ZippoMan)

If you are putting in a high quality set of Focals and using the stock deck they would definitely not be running at their potential.
I hear ya. Maybe that'll be a change down the road, but for the time being, my ears are being assaulted by the stock speakers!

PAIR? Two 10s may fit, but I think 1 12" would be your best choice.
Where would this fit?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:28 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with the stock head unit you dont have non fading volume control (no sub volume) which is essential, MHO. I took my sub out of my system until I got one that had the non fading out... but anyway...

Focal makes a 5" sub called 5Ws that would fit in your rear enclosure. It would be expensive to make the .3 ( i think) ported box that Focal reccommends for it. Two of them might hit like a single 8. Thats not so much thrumming bass as it is.. punctuation..

Here's the JL stealth box in the back of a c5:

I've seen people make a "shelf" for amps in the back, with a top and fans so yuo dont lose much space.

Old 08-29-2002, 12:03 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stuck HU with US Acoustics Amp, Focal Utopia 165W, and ???? (Kale)

Grab a steathbox. C5s are the easiest to upgrade with basic bass with one of these. Get one 5 channel amp. The JL is a good choice but there are lots of others. 2 amps can be used but its not necessary with a basic setup. Grab the speakers for the front, maybe a set of coax for the rear like Boston or MB Quarts, and then a new deck. If you want to add bass, you will need to buy other equipment to split the signal into specific channels and frequencies to properly power the speakers. This will cost close to the cost of just getting a good deck that has them built in like an alpine and the sound quality of a good deck will definitely be noticed with focal speakers. It will also make wiring the system that much easier as you won't need to worry about converting this or splitting that.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:44 AM
FNC80
Safety Car

Default Re: Stuck HU with US Acoustics Amp, Focal Utopia 165W, and ???? (92TripleBlack)

Thanks for the input. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck HU with US Acoustics Amp, Focal Utopia 165W, and ????

Quick Reply: Stuck HU with US Acoustics Amp, Focal Utopia 165W, and ????