Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bass Door Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Watchie
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bass Door Speaker Replacement

I have a 2011 C6 Coupe, base system. Having replaced the rears and mid/tweeters with direct swap speakers (no change to the electronics) is it similarly possible to do the same for the bass speakers in the doors (pull them in favor of a 6 3/4 mounted on a custom surround) without also needing to add or change out the existing small amp that currently powers them?

Bottom line, I want to simply pull what's there and install the new ones (using the Metra connectors as necessary).

Doable?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2015, 04:27 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

"
Old 10-18-2015, 10:13 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

The door 'subs' in non-Bose should just be normal 6.5" speakers. You CAN replace them easily, but there isn't much gain, if any.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:17 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

How about front speakers ? .
Or a new amp? on base C6 (none bose)
I need more punch .
Old 10-26-2015, 06:59 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by skar
How about front speakers ? .
Or a new amp? on base C6 (none bose)
I need more punch .
The best bang-for-buck that will give a big improvement is 6.5" components in the doors, a 10" sub in the trunk, and a bridged 4-channel amp to power everything. Use a 5-channel amp and throw in new rears for just a bit more.

Just changing out the stock speakers for aftermarket 2-ways will make it sound better to most people, but it won't add any volume or bass.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:29 AM
skar
Burning Brakes

Thanks I will look in to this .
Old 11-09-2015, 12:42 PM
ppage27
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
The best bang-for-buck that will give a big improvement is 6.5" components in the doors, a 10" sub in the trunk, and a bridged 4-channel amp to power everything. Use a 5-channel amp and throw in new rears for just a bit more.

Just changing out the stock speakers for aftermarket 2-ways will make it sound better to most people, but it won't add any volume or bass.

I am in the process of collecting information and it looks like you have done the most and know the most. I see very helpful posts from you everywhere! Simple question: Do recommend the same upgrade if Bose IS installed?
Old 11-12-2015, 12:59 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ppage27
I am in the process of collecting information and it looks like you have done the most and know the most. I see very helpful posts from you everywhere! Simple question: Do recommend the same upgrade if Bose IS installed?
Yep

A bridged 4-channel powering fronts and sub is the minimum new equipment to get a out of your efforts. Using mid-grade gear you can easily do it right for under $1000, or you can add new rear speakers and switch to a 5-channel amp for a few hundred more.

You may have also noticed that I recommend people call Dennis a lot. Once you figure out a budget he can help you get the most out of that money.

Get notified of new replies

To Bass Door Speaker Replacement

Quick Reply: Bass Door Speaker Replacement