Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to check if my amp is dead in C6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Spiderxkx
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How to check if my amp is dead in C6?

So I have a 2007 c6 base. I have a pioneer HU in it. Just recently the music would cut in and out. Then it would only play music in the mornings when I went into work, and would sometimes not play anything after work when it's hotter out. I know the HU is playing and working because I see the little bars moving that it's playing music. I took the HU out to check if the remote turn on wire was disconnected or something. Everything was connected property, but I still made new crimps just to make sure. Then I turned it back on and it would cut in and out again. Then it just stopped producing sound and no matter what I tried it didn't do anything. I don't know if the module stopped working, or if it doesn't send signal to the amp to turn it on anymore, or if the amp itself stopped functioning. I also don't have a voltmeter to check any further. Anyone else have this issue in the past or a way to fix it?
Old 10-26-2015, 11:30 AM
Spiderxkx
Instructor

I got my hands on a voltmeter. Any suggestions?
Old 10-26-2015, 07:42 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Check the Amp fuse 31 under the hood. If that's good odds are the trigger portion of your interface module is fried due to the high current draw that the stock amp and antenna have. A free fix is to install a jumper wire around the box. Connect the blue/white wire coming out of the HU directly to the box wire (between the box and oem car plug) that lines up with the white wire at pin B3 of the oem plug.

If you want to verify that with the meter first... With car and radio on, check for +12v on HU blue/white, then check box outlet at B3 wire. If I'm right you'll have 12v at HU and nothing (or significantly less than 12v) on other side of box.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Spiderxkx
Instructor

Originally Posted by markcz
Check the Amp fuse 31 under the hood. If that's good odds are the trigger portion of your interface module is fried due to the high current draw that the stock amp and antenna have. A free fix is to install a jumper wire around the box. Connect the blue/white wire coming out of the HU directly to the box wire (between the box and oem car plug) that lines up with the white wire at pin B3 of the oem plug.

If you want to verify that with the meter first... With car and radio on, check for +12v on HU blue/white, then check box outlet at B3 wire. If I'm right you'll have 12v at HU and nothing (or significantly less than 12v) on other side of box.
Thank you mark, that's sort of what I thought happened. I'll check that later today to see if I'm getting the 12v from the HU remote turn on, and see if it's passing through the module as well. If that's the culprit, I'll just splice the remote turn on wire to the factory harness b3. I'll chime back in to give my results, hopefully positive. Thank you for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To How to check if my amp is dead in C6?

Quick Reply: How to check if my amp is dead in C6?