Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Morel-Arc-Double D

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 06:37 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

Default Morel-Arc-Double D

Well it's been a year since I picked up the phone and here I am today.
What started as a stock base system has now morphed into a concert hall.
Having found the stock stereo rather "lacking" I decided to upgrade. A talk with Dennis had me purchasing a Pioneer NEX8000. At the time much more HU than I needed but what the heck-the capacitive screen would be cool right. Yep. Suddenly the speakers seemed to come to life.Holy cow are these things upgraded? Must be. No head unit would make that much of a difference. Actually it would,and did. Along the way I picked up a JL stealthbox with a little old 10" sub in it. Again, on the phone with Dennis seeing where I might like to go. Big-small-cheap, yeah that last one sounded good. After all I put my money in the engines performance and that cost big bucks.
Kenwood XR900.5 was the answer. Small footprint,small price, pretty dang good sound. The sub was able to hit some and played at low volume with the required addition to the soundstage,but something was lacking. Had to be the speakers-but these were upgraded right. Make that a no. A huge no. Wow that head unit.
A call to Dennis and next thing I know,Morel Elates in a 2 way component set were on the way. Now I had gone around to shops and heard Focals-Hertz-Hybrid and the more common brands you might find in the big box store's, I didn't get to audition the Morels. Anywhere. Faith grasshopper. After all, Dennis had not steered me wrong yet.
The big day arrives and I hook up the Morels.Wow. Dang-Amazing. No,not at all. Bummed is more like it. While I could hear a cleaner sound they just don't seem like " all that". Had Dennis finally misstepped. No. While they did sound better they were not amazingly better.
The beginning of this was just a HU upgrade with little direction or desire to go anywhere else. This was now going in another direction.the answer? Power. More. As with the engine more is always better. These little guys like it. So a call with what I thought I wanted and no-Dennis would not agree. He said" Get this!" What a minute-I want something much more expensive. What kind of business man is he. Options. Many more ways to hook it up.
Sold!! A beautiful Arc xdi 1200.6 was now on it's way. And here it is. Now to hook it up. Bridged-active-passive-bi-amped-2 channel-4 channel. Holy mackeral Batman -the choices seem endless.
In the end ( for now anyway) I decide to bridge the sub channels-and bridge the fronts and run passive. Set gain on amp for the channel 's and a little-and I mean a little tweaking and......Sh*t!!!!!!! Are you kidding me???? Center stage-check, crystal clear high's-check, and did I add a sub or something? This thing can pound.
Now I didn't buy or set this up to thump my way down the road or annoy people. Power brings great sound down low. I can honestly say this is one of the best purchases I have made. My audio is at a whole other level-and I've yet to add my MLV into the fold.
Dennis, not only gave me great service, and great products-but helped me save money. For that I can not thank him enough.
Morel Elates are worth every penny. Arc amps-worth every penny. Great mid bass and tweets that are not tiring( Focal-you come to mind).
Wow-Dang-Amazing. Check,check and check.

Last edited by yamabob; 10-26-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:31 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

A well powered and properly set-up system is hard to beat, even with discount equipment, but with high end gear like yours...

I experimented with several setups, but currntly have the 1200.6 doing 3-way active in my doors, that amp is AMAZING

Originally Posted by yamabob
In the end ( for now anyway)
It NEVER ends
Old 10-27-2015, 12:31 PM
yamabob
Drifting

I experimented with several setups, but currntly have the 1200.6 doing 3-way active in my doors, that amp is AMAZING

Do tell!!!!

I was/am thinking of run tweets to front channel and woofers to rear channel. Thoughts?
Old 10-29-2015, 10:53 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Glad your happy with everything Bob!
Thanks again and call me anytime!!
Dennis
The following users liked this post:
yamabob (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 11:32 AM
yamabob
Drifting

I bow to you good Sir. I could not be more pleased with the equipment or the time you took during each and every call to guide me. It's been fantastic. It has made my car much more of what I thought it should be. If people really knew what they can sound like!
Old 10-29-2015, 08:56 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

nice to see you work through that. on the really high end gear where you are looking for minor changes each piece of the system has an impact on sound. many people overlook amps when they absolutely influence what your ears hear
Old 10-31-2015, 03:39 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Do tell!!!!

I was/am thinking of run tweets to front channel and woofers to rear channel. Thoughts?
I bow to you good Sir. I could not be more pleased with the equipment or the time you took during each and every call to guide me. It's been fantastic. It has made my car much more of what I thought it should be. If people really knew what they can sound like!
You could eliminate the passive crossover that came with the components and hook each speaker up to it's own amp channel. See pg 9 of the amp instruction manual. That would give you control over the volume of each individual set and the exact crossover of all three bands.

However.... If you're that happy with how it sounds now, I'd just leave it be since getting the setup just right without the crossover would be a good bit of effort.

Get notified of new replies

To Morel-Arc-Double D

Quick Reply: Morel-Arc-Double D