Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Considering NAV/Head Unit Upgrade - Any Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 11:12 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Considering NAV/Head Unit Upgrade - Any Recommendations?

I worked with Dennis at DD Mods back in 2012 and completed a double din upgrade for my 2004 C5 convertible. At that time, I chose the Kenwood DNX 6980 NAV system head unit.

The unit has performed well with no complaints, however it does not have Bluetooth streaming and as a result, I have to plug in an old iPod Touch via a USB port for my iTunes collection.

Since my 6 year old iPod Touch just died (for some mysterious reason), I'm exploring new options including a new iPod or retired iPhone or whether or not I should just update my head unit if the new features are worth it.

For example, the one thing I really like about the head unit is the volume control ****. Since the C5 does not have steering wheel volume controls, I like the tactile feel of the volume **** vs. trying to slide the volume via a touchscreen response. This helps keep my eyes on the road, etc.

However, what I don't enjoy is the touch-screen scrolling through my iPod artist or song selection list. The touch screen scrolling makes it difficult to be precise with a song selection and I was curious what the best options are available in 2015/2016. Do any manufacturers have a scroll or tracking wheel, similar to the first generation Blackberry phones? I think a scroll wheel would provide a more accurate response than the touch screen slide controls.

If not, any other recommendations of make and model, double-din NAV head units that provide a great and accurate response? I would say 95% of my listening is off of my own 6000+ iTunes library with the other 5% off broadcast radio.

Thanks!

Last edited by MSG C5; 11-08-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:29 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Call me direct and I can go over your options.
Currently Pioneer 8100 and Kenwood dnn 992 are your best options
Dennis
Old 11-08-2015, 12:35 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
Call me direct and I can go over your options.
Currently Pioneer 8100 and Kenwood dnn 992 are your best options
Dennis
Dennis, if I decide to upgrade head units, I may also order a new double din bezel as I would like to get my ashtray/charger area back. I'm thinking another half-wrap leather but instead of the hydro CF pattern, matching up a Carbon Flash paint finish to match my custom waterfall/deck lid.

I appreciate any additional user recommendations.

Last edited by MSG C5; 11-08-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:30 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

That color combo would look great

The reason I suggested the two I have is they are currently the only two with the capacative touch screen. These two will be much easier to see the screen in the sunlight now for you with top down.

Just call me sometime and we can talk about it.
Dennis
Old 11-12-2015, 12:56 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Dennis, based on the units you recommended, does the album and song artwork display on the head unit when paired via Bluetooth with the smart phone? In my case its the iTunes library and iPhone 6S.

Or would I need to continue to connect via a USB port for the artwork to display? My current Kenwood head unit allows for Bluetooth wireless phone operation but not Bluetooth music streaming.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:49 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Any user recommendations?
Old 11-14-2015, 10:28 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 742 Likes on 470 Posts

I went to Dennis for the Piioneer NEX 8000. the 8100 is the next gen and added the support of Android Auto,as well as Car Play.
I can't speak for the Kenwood,but I love this Pioneer. Fast GPS and boot times-fairly full featured.Great sound. It's my choice
Old 11-14-2015, 12:02 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by yamabob
I went to Dennis for the Piioneer NEX 8000. the 8100 is the next gen and added the support of Android Auto,as well as Car Play.
I can't speak for the Kenwood,but I love this Pioneer. Fast GPS and boot times-fairly full featured.Great sound. It's my choice
Thanks for the feedback. How about the touchscreen responsiveness? Biggest challenge with these touch screen head units is that without steering wheel controls, you have to reach over and operation the unit with your hand, often while driving. Some of the touch-screen roll bar functions are pretty quirky and it's hard to scroll and and change playlists or artists.

Also, if you bluetooth stream your music from your smartphone, does the artwork appear on screen or does that require as USB connection? If so, is there a front access USB port?

Last edited by MSG C5; 11-14-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:27 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Thanks for the feedback. How about the touchscreen responsiveness? Biggest challenge with these touch screen head units is that without steering wheel controls, you have to reach over and operation the unit with your hand, often while driving. Some of the touch-screen roll bar functions are pretty quirky and it's hard to scroll and and change playlists or artists.

Also, if you bluetooth stream your music from your smartphone, does the artwork appear on screen or does that require as USB connection? If so, is there a front access USB port?
Dennis supplied me with a PAC adaptor which allowed me to keep steering wheel functions. Volume-channel and presets. When I stream what ever downloads have album art show up. Same with radio as well as what HD channel ( you can hear the difference in the audio). I can also change songs while streaming without touching screen. The capacitve screen is amazingly responsive. I play around with a lot of the functions but mostly on speaker set-up. Love the time alignment. There are inputs on the back for either a I phone and or an Andriod device as well as a HDMI input. The screen flips and you can add a mic for Auto eq or add a usb or fob(which you can upload update or new screens)
Old 11-14-2015, 01:40 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by yamabob
Dennis supplied me with a PAC adaptor which allowed me to keep steering wheel functions. Volume-channel and presets. When I stream what ever downloads have album art show up. Same with radio as well as what HD channel ( you can hear the difference in the audio). I can also change songs while streaming without touching screen. The capacitve screen is amazingly responsive. I play around with a lot of the functions but mostly on speaker set-up. Love the time alignment. There are inputs on the back for either a I phone and or an Andriod device as well as a HDMI input. The screen flips and you can add a mic for Auto eq or add a usb or fob(which you can upload update or new screens)
Thanks. I have a C5 so I don't have any OEM steering wheel funtions. Good to know that with the Bluetooth streaming that the artwork also shows up. You mention you can hear the difference, is the Bluetooth streaming worse sounding than the other options?
Old 11-14-2015, 03:58 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Sorry-what I meant was that you can hear the difference when the signal comes in for HD audio.
Depending upon source level you can adjust up to equal FM broadcast as well if recording level is low.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering NAV/Head Unit Upgrade - Any Recommendations?

Quick Reply: Considering NAV/Head Unit Upgrade - Any Recommendations?