Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Old 1988 Delco unit MP3 modification possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 04:08 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Old 1988 Delco unit MP3 modification possible?

I found a Delco unit for a few bucks from a pick a part and figured I would pick it up for something to mess around with. It's out of a 1988 Buick and this is an odd one as it has a cassette delete block off plate. How much more would a cassette mechanism have really cost to add to a car even in 1988? I got it to power up but no way to check speakers without an antenna.

I've seen this done with these old Delcos but they all have the cassette mechanism. So I'm wondering would there be a way to "trick" this unit into thinking it's getting a signal feed from an antenna when it's coming from an mp3? No cassette mechanism to "hack" into but would the provisions still be in the radio circuit board to solder into? I see these all the time on ebay but would be cool to "make" my own from a junkyard find. This thing was dirt cheap so if can't be done, I won't lose any sleep over it.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I found a Delco unit for a few bucks from a pick a part and figured I would pick it up for something to mess around with. It's out of a 1988 Buick and this is an odd one as it has a cassette delete block off plate. How much more would a cassette mechanism have really cost to add to a car even in 1988? I got it to power up but no way to check speakers without an antenna.

I've seen this done with these old Delcos but they all have the cassette mechanism. So I'm wondering would there be a way to "trick" this unit into thinking it's getting a signal feed from an antenna when it's coming from an mp3? No cassette mechanism to "hack" into but would the provisions still be in the radio circuit board to solder into? I see these all the time on ebay but would be cool to "make" my own from a junkyard find. This thing was dirt cheap so if can't be done, I won't lose any sleep over it.
That's not how I do my aux installs. Post a picture of it

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 11-17-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:40 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
That's not how I do my aux installs. Post a picture of it
Thanks for the interest, I'm in the middle of parts everywhere from tearing into it now. Give me a minute and I'll post some pictures. I found a few topics that discuss using the radio shack 1/8 stereo jack and tying it into the 3rd and 4th wire from the front of the tuning board.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:06 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Old 11-18-2015, 07:43 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

that 1/8 in jack has to be specifically wired at that end to work.
does the radio work now if you installed it?
My aux kit is specifically for 84-89 bose vettes. Other radios have slightly different wiring harnesses etc.
Might work with that radio, not sure
Old 11-18-2015, 10:27 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
that 1/8 in jack has to be specifically wired at that end to work.
does the radio work now if you installed it?
My aux kit is specifically for 84-89 bose vettes. Other radios have slightly different wiring harnesses etc.
Might work with that radio, not sure
Probaly should've got some pics of the wiring job before I put everything back but it's screwed together loosely just in case. The radio powers on and all visual functions work, but I don't have an antenna to check for sound. The majority of topics discussed that there were a band of 9 wires running off the tuning board. If you were looking at the radio from the front, and counting towards the back on this band, the 3rd and 4th wires are the ones to tie into.

Only problem I ran into being it's never specified which wire is for which channel, left or right. But the way the procedure was stated, sounded like the 3rd wire is L signal and the 4th wire is R signal. So that's how I spliced in the jack. Wires 2 and 3 off the radio shack aux jack went to the 3rd wire on the board and wires 4 and 5 off the aux jack went to the 4th wire on the board. I ran a black wire for a ground off the aux jack like in this guy's picture:

http://postimg.org/image/e8rqvxoad/

So I'm hoping when I plug this in I can plug the mp3 in and get some sound.....I have a feeling I may be taking it back apart though.

Here's a pic of a similar project in which the person reported it works.

http://images.fieroforum.com/2012/20...3-17-05_61.jpg

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 11-18-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:06 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Not quite successful, but something: the display on the radio changes from time to a radio station when I plug in the jack from mp3 into the aux port now but no sound. How are you wiring these in, Cruisinfanatic?
Old 11-20-2015, 12:33 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Actually the MP3 does work. I guess I have a bad amplifier relay. I took it out and used a random relay that had five prongs versus the four inside the amp relay. I figured it couldn't hurt. Plugged it in and got lots of static noise due to not having an antenna. Plugged the mp3 jack into the aux port and got my music coming out the speakers. So not bad for a junkyard find!

A couple of issues: Radio stays powered on even with ignition all the way off, could this be related to sticking amp relay? Driver side front speaker was doing nothing and driver side rear speaker was only emitting bass. Passenger side speakers seem to work just fine. Also, there was noticeable static mixed in with the music. Any recommendations for shielding? Lastly, there's one black thick gauge wire coming out of the back of the head unit. Well, it's actually white but it has a black heat shrink covering it all up but the very top, so I'm guessing this was used to identify it as a ground?

Caught myself staring at the wiring diagrams but I can't seem to find it.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 11-20-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:00 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Picture of the wire. Ground?

What the aux ended up looking like mounted.

Tomorrow will try to see what is causing only the passenger side speakers to play music and only bass out of the rear driver side speaker.

Get notified of new replies

To Old 1988 Delco unit MP3 modification possible?

Quick Reply: Old 1988 Delco unit MP3 modification possible?