Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing deep cycle battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:06 PM
robert1989
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing deep cycle battery

Hey,

So I have a 98 C5 and I've been putting money into it and my next stop is a new paint job or something else. I also work for an insurance company (starts with a G) so I know how often people get screwed.

Which brings me to this. I installed a camera system in my car, front and back. The issue is the camera only has about an hour of battery life.

So my solution is to buy a few 12 volt deep cycle batteries and store them in those small cargo areas in the trunk. I am going to use sealed lead acid batteries. My question is should I use a standard ATV battery or can I use a few small 12 volt alarm system batteries.

When I went to micro center someone there told me that if I hooked up a small 12 volt to my car the battery would explode because the alternator puts out 90-120 amps.

Edit: the current circuit the camera is on kills battery power when I turn the car off.

Last edited by robert1989; 01-10-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:18 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Why don't you just install an automotive relay on the B+ wire feeding your cameras and energize the relay coil with switched power so they're only turned on when the car is running
Old 01-14-2016, 08:00 PM
robert1989
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markcz
Why don't you just install an automotive relay on the B+ wire feeding your cameras and energize the relay coil with switched power so they're only turned on when the car is running
Thats what is happening now.

I would like them to record when the car is parked but not kill the battery.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing deep cycle battery

Quick Reply: Installing deep cycle battery