Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Sound System install in ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 12:41 PM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts
Default New Sound System install in ZR1

Got my 2011 ZR1 back from the installer after the addition of an upgraded sound system. I had the Bose System which was unacceptable to me.

I left the stock HU and added:

-Hushmat in the doors, trunk and behind the seats
-Audison Bit Ten Processor
-JL XD 700 amp
-JL C560 speakers
-JL C5525X speakers
-JL 10" sub Stealthbox w/ remote level control

I'm very happy with the sound deadening from the Hushmat installation. I don't have db readings from before and after but the interior noise level has been substantially reduced and the doors sound very solid when being closed. Added weight from a Dynamat sound deadening install was recently discussed in another thread. Total weight for the Hushmat install was about 18lbs.

The system now sounds awesome. highs are very clear and the bass hits hard. Not a cheap project but worth it to me.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:35 PM
bb996+r1
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool.
If you really want it to wake it up, ditch the factory
stereo for an aftermarket unit.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:22 PM
Jimnc
Drifting

Originally Posted by bb996+r1
Very cool.
If you really want it to wake it up, ditch the factory
stereo for an aftermarket unit.
I considered replacing the HU with aftermarket but figured that the Bit ten processor would clean up the signal well enough that the additional cost wasn't justified.

Am I missing something here?
Old 01-12-2016, 05:49 PM
bb996+r1
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimnc
I considered replacing the HU with aftermarket but figured that the Bit ten processor would clean up the signal well enough that the additional cost wasn't justified.

Am I missing something here?
The bit ten is a great unit for what it does.
I personally would only use one in a vehicle that the radio could not be upgraded(BMW, MB, new C7)

You are going to get more features, a better display, and better sound
by upgrading your factory radio.

Did your installer suggest upgrading your factory radio?
Old 01-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Originally Posted by bb996+r1
The bit ten is a great unit for what it does.
I personally would only use one in a vehicle that the radio could not be upgraded(BMW, MB, new C7)

You are going to get more features, a better display, and better sound
by upgrading your factory radio.

Did your installer suggest upgrading your factory radio?
No, I told the installer that I didn't want to switch out the HU and he didn't try to convince me otherwise. I considered an aftermarket HU but the higher end NAV units with satellite would have added another $1500 plus to the project. This is not my DD so the upgraded NAV system and other features didn't seem worth the expense. If there was a substantial upgrade in sound quality I would consider it but I don't see that would be the case with the Bit ten.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:39 PM
Bgreenard
Go Fast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Where is the Amp mounted? Pictures? I didnt know JL made a sub for the ZR1, there is no cubby to mount in like the other C6s
Old 05-29-2016, 05:09 PM
Jimnc
Drifting

Amp is behind the passenger seat. The stealthbox fits in the left corner (port side). The cubby is there under the carpet. I will take some photos tomorrow but the sub install looks exactly like the photo on the JL website.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Bgreenard
Go Fast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

What year is your ZR1? There is no left cubby (Driver's Side) only the right has one for the battery. I had a JL sub enclosure in my past C6 Z06. It had a left cubby .
Old 05-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Old 05-30-2016, 11:27 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Amp is behind the passenger seat. The stealthbox fits in the left corner (port side). The cubby is there under the carpet. I will take some photos tomorrow but the sub install looks exactly like the photo on the JL website.
If I understand right, you could fit the stealthbox in the left cubby whit no issues with the 2 modules sitting in there?
Old 05-31-2016, 06:59 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Originally Posted by The boss
If I understand right, you could fit the stealthbox in the left cubby whit no issues with the 2 modules sitting in there?
The installation was done by a professional shop. I don't know whether there were modules in the cubby. I do know that I have JL 10" sub stealthbox rocking my car.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:47 AM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

This is very interesting as most website do not offer a box for ZR1. If you have a chance, would you lift the box (if its not screwed or bonded) and take a picture of the cubby, there are 2 modules in there and I guess many ZR1 owner would like to know how it was fitted.
The following users liked this post:
Bgreenard (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 02:20 AM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

No, I told the installer that I didn't want to switch out the HU and he didn't try to convince me otherwise. I considered an aftermarket HU but the higher end NAV units with satellite would have added another $1500 plus to the project. This is not my DD so the upgraded NAV system and other features didn't seem worth the expense. If there was a substantial upgrade in sound quality I would consider it but I don't see that would be the case with the Bit ten.
My Grand Sport has the Alpine ILX-007 in dash receiver with Apple Car Play. I love it. I have Apple devices only so it seem less. Nav through my phone. Alpine Tune It app is unbelievable. Tuning at your finger tips. I have a Jl xd 600/6 running Jl components and the Jl stealth box like yours. All my other car systems are running 12" subs. I'm totally blown away by how good this 10" sounds. The bit ten is an excellent piece. But the factory nav unit looks and acts dated. Try the in dash media from Alpine. About $500 and worth every penny.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:43 AM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Very cool piece. Extremely easy to use with Apple devices. Most of all, looks like it belongs there.
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2016, 02:45 AM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Another angle with the entire center stack.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To New Sound System install in ZR1

Quick Reply: New Sound System install in ZR1