Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Kenwood 9902s with android auto play?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 11:49 AM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Kenwood 9902s with android auto play?

I have finally updated my droid phone to the 5.1 OP system. Ready to use the full android auto system with the Kenwood 9902s and HDMI/MHL cable that I installed last August. Downloaded the Kenwood smartphone control app to the phone. That part seems to be OK. Updated the operating system on the 9902s from the 1.5 to the 1.6 op system. That has an improvement.
Now all I get is a message on the radio that I have no signal from the smartphone. Can't perform the screen calibration because the screen on the 9902s is solid blue with a round red circle with a line through it and the screen on the phone turns solid white. It keeps flashing a message that it is trying to connect but I get nothing. Bluetooth on both phones work fine, but that is only allowing basic radio functions such as bluetooth phone operation and pandora. Any cheap radio will do that.
Has any one had any luck getting the Andriod auto to work with a MOTO X phone with the 5.1 op system?
Old 01-16-2016, 06:33 PM
ta-kid
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Kenwood DNX 892 and debated the DNN992 but seen no real advantage to doing what you are trying to accomplish.Yes, its neat to have your phone screen functions on the car deck but here in my area you are only allowed to use phone functions by hands free Bluetooth while the car is moving.(safer).
But Have you checked out Five Star review "You tube" clips.They explain a lot of functionality on how to accomplish some of these mirror functions and Android play on Kenwood decks.Might help you out some.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:02 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrasport
I have finally updated my droid phone to the 5.1 OP system. Ready to use the full android auto system with the Kenwood 9902s and HDMI/MHL cable that I installed last August. Downloaded the Kenwood smartphone control app to the phone. That part seems to be OK. Updated the operating system on the 9902s from the 1.5 to the 1.6 op system. That has an improvement.
Now all I get is a message on the radio that I have no signal from the smartphone. Can't perform the screen calibration because the screen on the 9902s is solid blue with a round red circle with a line through it and the screen on the phone turns solid white. It keeps flashing a message that it is trying to connect but I get nothing. Bluetooth on both phones work fine, but that is only allowing basic radio functions such as bluetooth phone operation and pandora. Any cheap radio will do that.
Has any one had any luck getting the Andriod auto to work with a MOTO X phone with the 5.1 op system?
Based on my research (because I'm considering moving to a similar unit), the Moto X - at least the 2013 version - doesn't support HDMI/HML so it won't push your screen signal to the Kenwood. I venture to guess this is your issue.

Last edited by CrvtBB; 01-16-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:10 AM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I've watched the You Tube clips. They only show how things work, but not what to do when a step fails.
I have waited almost 6 months to get the new Moto X with 5.1 update. My old Moto X would not work and I knew that when I bought the radio from DD mods last August. The new phone is about 3 days old. It should work.

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood 9902s with android auto play?

Quick Reply: Kenwood 9902s with android auto play?