Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Head Unit inot all alternator whine

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 01:12 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
GLI's should easily fix minor alt whine.

In vettes the 'antenna turn on' signal IS the amp trigger. Don't use HU antenna wire, use amp trigger (blue/white).
Copy that. I have the Antenna turn on attached to the amp trigger. I was just testing because the bypass for video says not to connect any antenna turn on to the same blue wire. It was worth a try. Anyways, I guess I will try the GLI. Only for the speakers right? No needed for the sub?
Old 02-11-2016, 01:20 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcbarr25
I will try the GLI. Only for the speakers right? No needed for the sub?
Most likely, yes, but you may need one on the sub also.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

OK well I'm gonna try just speakers first cuz honestly I disconnected the speakers and cant hear anything. Would it be possibly it's the amp?
Man why must this car be so hard to work on? I have done all my previous cars and never had issues. I'm gonna order the GLI today with amazon so should see them over the wknd.

Is it normal that I hear the alternator whine even with the radio off and on mute? It's really low, like when I have my NPP open, I can't hear it but I wanna to fix it right
Old 02-14-2016, 07:53 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Well I ordered a pair of GLI and it didn't work. I am going to other another brand and see what happens. But I am really annoyed by this issue. I actually removed the HU and installed another HU to see if the HU was the problem. No luck. Same soft noise when volume is all the way down.
What else can I do if the next pair of GLI doesn't work? I checked the ground for the amp again. Could it be the amp is bad? I don't have another amp to test.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:32 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WHSER
If you had the whine before you installed the amps, it's not the RCA's. Seems like it would be a bad ground on the Head Unit and or the RP3.
OK so I finally swapped to another HU, the noise is still present. I'm assuming this eliminates the radio as having a bad ground or bad rca grounding? Now as for the RP, any way I can test the interface? However, I did ground the radio directly to a bolt in the car, and still noise is present.
What about a power line noise filter? I just try GLI and didn't work but I want another brand.

Here's a question, If I connect a speaker directly to the speakers leads on the radio and I hear the noise, this actually means that the rca aren't the problem right? I know I said there was a noise before but I want to make sure
Old 02-15-2016, 03:01 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Ok so here's an update. I was searching and I got the idea of bypassing the head unit to see if the whine/noise was still there. And surprisingly, it was there still. I used my phone and a 3.5mm to rca cable directly connected to the amp. Noise still present. One thing I notice was that with everything on, if I plugged the rca leads, the amp would make a pop thru the speakers.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:55 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The pop is normal, but try not to do that very much

What is amp model, where is it mounted, where is it grounded?
Old 02-16-2016, 11:21 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

The pop is normal, but try not to do that very much

What is amp model, where is it mounted, where is it grounded?
Markcz,

Thanks for replying. The amp is a Boss audio Armor 1600.4
It is mounted on the right behind the driver on the trunk space on a small rack I made out of mdf. Finally, the ground is on the driver side G032 ground locatio (by the door). I actually check on that ground and found that it had paint so I sanded it to to metal. Still no luck. Maybe a bad amp? Any test I can run with a multimeter or something for continuity? I got it because it is compact and a good price but I guess I might have to get a more expensive better quality one.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:37 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Try moving the ground to a seat bolt, you may get lucky.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:59 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Will try this today. Easy change. Well see. This is driving nuts. Here the kick though, I can't hear it thru the radio while playing music. Only when there is no music, volume 0 or mute or HU off, so I could easily install a switch on the amp turn on and if I don't want to have silence with no music, I can just shut off switch and the amp won't be power at all. But that is last resort I guess.. idk. I just want to determine if it's the amp and maybe I can fight for a refund
Old 02-16-2016, 04:47 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Here's a question, shouldn't the amp shut off when I shut off the HU? With the AVH 4100NEX it doesnt. Even though I shut off the HU, the amp still being power along with my capacitor digital readout. With the other HU I tried, as soon as I shut the radio, everything else shut off as well. Ideas?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:35 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

No luck for me.. errrr. Any more ideas on what to do? I wonder if the rca have poor grounding. I think this amp is garbage..
Old 02-17-2016, 04:28 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

If you unplug the RCA's at the amp, with the radio on and car running, do you have alt whine then?
Old 02-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

If you unplug the RCA's at the amp, with the radio on and car running, do you have alt whine then?
I will try when I get home but I think I did try this and there was no whine at all. But I'll let you know
Old 02-17-2016, 07:51 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Hey markcz, so I was wrong. Unplugged every single lead of the rca cables until they were all unplugged. Noise still present even after rca are not connected. And it's more like a constant noise. Like FM radio reception noise kind of. That soft hissing type of noise. This is why I was asking if it could be the Antenna since it is connected to the amp turn on off of the radio. However, when I tested the other hu, I didn't connected the Antenna turn on (amp turn on) and noise still present.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:46 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Well idk what else to do. I swapped the amp and still have the noise. However, I realize the noise is present when the car is not on as well. It is a steady noise. I really so not think it increases with rpms. Idk what else to try. Now I even ha e a noise when the radio shuts off..what else to do???? I really need hell with this... noise is present when rca cable aren't attached to the amp.. so I was thinking and I remember I ran the power cable from he battery to the capacitor directly next to the power cable running from the battery to the altenator.. could this be causing the noise?
Old 02-23-2016, 01:58 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Does adjusting the amp gain ***** change the noise? Are they turned up all the way? Try them at half way.

If the amp is staying on with the car off, the trigger wire isn't connected properly. HU blue/white should go to trigger terminal on amp, and nothing else should be there.

Get notified of new replies

To New Head Unit inot all alternator whine

Old 02-23-2016, 02:38 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Does adjusting the amp gain ***** change the noise? Are they turned up all the way? Try them at half way.

If the amp is staying on with the car off, the trigger wire isn't connected properly. HU blue/white should go to trigger terminal on amp, and nothing else should be there.
The gains are only 1/4 up. I really do not think the noise changes with the gains settings. I didn't mean the amp is staying on with the car off. I was just referring to the fact that the noise is present in acc mode without having to turn the engine on. It is present as soon as the amp is turned on by the unit. I really so not what else to try. I do have the HU blue and white to the trigger for the amp. I was really hoping the new amp would get rid of the noise. What else to try next?
Old 02-24-2016, 01:46 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Any more ideas?
Old 02-24-2016, 02:42 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Quick Reply: New Head Unit inot all alternator whine