Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Head Unit inot all alternator whine

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 04:58 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default let me help you out!

So Iam gonna save you a major headache and tell you what I WENT THROUGH! I tried multiple head units, tried multiple grounding points, tried making the ground wire under 18". I tried grounding the RCAs. I tried different more expensive RCAS. I ran the wires down one side, then down the other side. Then i put the RCAs down the middle and ran power down the right side and speaker wires down the left. Nothing I tell you nothing got rid of my alternator whine. I then changed out the amp...or better yet, I removed 1 amp. (I was running multiple amps). Ironically guess what, when only running 1 amp, it killed the ground loop. No noise. Add the amp back in...ground loop is back and alternator whine too. I also would get a loud click or pop when turning the system on or off. Bring the system back down to 1 amp and all whining gone but the click and pop still there...amp was a 5 channel Planet Audio. Replaced it with a kicker 5 channel and click and pop gone.

So....with that...try this:
First get rid of your cap. Run the Boss on its own. Run your RCAs away from power, Run your speaker wires away from power and preferably away from the RCAs too (a foot or so away is sufficient). Make your ground wire as short as possible. Mine is like 16" and I drilled through rear bumper firewall (tub wall, not sure what else to call it lol). I drilled and bolted it to the rear frame rail. Make sure to scrape away any paint for good solid ground! Test it out. If whine is still there...try a different better quality amp (Pioneer, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, JL Audio, Kicker, etc). Stay away from lesser brands that have poor regulating circuitry. (Blaupaunkt, Jenson, Kenford, Pyramid, Planet Audio, Boss Audio)

Post up your results...my guess is you will be whine free after you try a different (better) amp and run the wires properly.

The Corvette is very finicky in the amps run in it and how many are run. It seems very prone to develop ground loops. The isolators in my humble opinion don't do crap but even if they do, only work so much. They just mask the problem...never fix it entirely. (yeah I tried those too)...nope...didn't work.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Manners226
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I am dealing with the same issue. I even grounded the head unit in two spots to the bare frame. Also looked up the factory ground points and tried the two near the middle of the car with zero change.

Quick Reply: New Head Unit inot all alternator whine