Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Head Unit inot all alternator whine

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 01:24 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New Head Unit installation alternator whine

So I completed my installation of a Pioneer AVH 4100NEX along with new speakers on the doors and rear, sub, capacitor and new amp. I am using RP3-GM11 since I don't have Bose and I didn't want to keep OnStar. Initially I simply install the HU. Made all the connections to the interface. And was using the stock speakers. At this time, I had a whining noise. I searched and figure it was a ground and that since I was going to install a new amp, cap and speakers, I didn't have to worry about. However at that time it did t sound like an alternator noise. Anyways fast forward my installation of new speakers, new sub, new amp and new capacitor and now I get a nasty alternator whine that increases with acceleration. What can I do? Group loop insolators? But I thought new HD didn't need this since I am using the actual RCA output from the HU. At first, I thought I was ground issue at the capacitor, so I moved it to a new ground, no luck. Thought it was power st the capacitor, totally disconnect it and no luck. I cant think it's the ground at the amp as it is connected to a good ground, I believe. It is connected to a ground point on the driver side by the door. I do have to say thay my power cable from the battery runs along with the power cable that goes to the front of the car. I installed insulation so I figured I would run the new power along the car power that goes to the front of the car. What else can I do? I didn't disconnect the speaker connections made from the interface to the new HU either. Figured it wouldn't matter since I was unplugging and removing the old speakers. What to check? One thing that I notice on this radio, there was not an antenna turn so I connected the blue and white from the interface (which is supposed to be amp turn in) to the blue amp turn on at the HU. At first, I didn't do this since I don't have Bose. I thought I didn't need to but apparently my antenna didn't turn on and didn't get any radio reception. Once plugged in, I got radio reception. Anyways, what to check next? Any chance that because I left the cable connections to the speakers still connected from the interface to the HU, that is introducing the noise? I probably going to go back and cut those off. But do I need GLI? If so which one? So I can buy them now and get this over with. Would I need 3, one for front, rear and sub?

Last edited by Jcbarr25; 02-08-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Get a good quality ground loop isolator.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:35 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimnc
Get a good quality ground loop isolator.
Installed where?
Old 02-09-2016, 06:50 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcbarr25
Installed where?
http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...ons_061713.pdf
Old 02-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Ok got it. Quick question thou, I thought GLI was mainly when retaining stock amp/speakers with a new HU. Am I wrong? So just use two for the front and rear output? Don't need one for the sub output? Man this is really annoying..
Old 02-09-2016, 01:53 PM
WHSER
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you had the whine before you installed the amps, it's not the RCA's. Seems like it would be a bad ground on the Head Unit and or the RP3.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WHSER
If you had the whine before you installed the amps, it's not the RCA's. Seems like it would be a bad ground on the Head Unit and or the RP3.
Well I don't think it was too much of a whine. More like a white noise on the speakers.. but idk for sure. I know there was a noise before the new amp. So how to fix the ground issue? Do I connect the radio ground to another ground and not directly to the RP3? If so, any suggestions on where to tap for q ground?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:45 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

wouldnt surprise me if its in the radio..
I had to send about 6 or so of them back to Pioneer in 2015 due to same issues.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
How can I determine if it's the radio?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:10 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
So here's my breakdown of grounds.
Amp is grounded on the driver side G032 ground location. Capacitor is grounded where the battery is grounded where the battery is grounded at, but not directly to the battery. I thought this was the problem and I swapped this ground with no luck. Even take the capacitor of the equation and no luck. Next I plan on testing to see if the RCAs are picking up the noise. However the noise is present even with the HU volume to 0 or mute. Should I ground the radio to another location not the interface?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:24 PM
WHSER
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Have another HU you could test with?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Have another HU you could test with?
I do. But it's all older model single din unit. I guess I can try tom after work. So let's say it's the radio. How can that be fixed? Or do I need a new unit?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:36 PM
WHSER
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

If Dennis says he returned some units for the same reason that will tell you it may be a common issue on that model. I have an 8100 and don't have that problem. Can you return it and swap it out for another one? Or you can send it back to Pioneer for warranty work. But that test with another HU will tell you whether or not it's bad.

Last edited by WHSER; 02-09-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:45 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Well idk about returning it. Need to check with the online vendor I purchase it from. As for warranty work, idk I have to check. First I need to determine if the radio is the actual problem. Is there a way to test the ground without taking the whole unit out and rewiring a new HU? Maybe Dennis can chime in. Maybe some kind of test?

I was thinking. My radio didn't have an antenna turn on so I connected that to my amp turn on. Maybe an issue since I also connected the video bypass? I think I am going to start unplugging certain cables to check the connections. Maybe I can single out the issue. Could I connect the Antenna cable to the switch power? What I found weird is that the RP3 didn't have an antenna turn on cable, only an amp turn on which is blue/white. If I didn't connect that, I had no radio reception. I can also hear some clicking noises when I shut down the car like the ignition clicking
Old 02-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Anyone more ideas? Today when I get home I'm gonna work on this. Going to test connect to a new ground the radio. Moving rca around and such.. last connecting a new HU.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:05 PM
WHSER
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Maybe try a different wiring harness also (GM11)? Those have been known to be bad out of the box.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:17 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Maybe try a different wiring harness also (GM11)? Those have been known to be bad out of the box.
Well I am assuming that if the harness is what's bad as far as the ground, when I ground the radio to a different location, I'll know then I can just bypass that ground. Question, is it OK to connect the Antenna lead on to the switch on power cable?

Get notified of new replies

To New Head Unit inot all alternator whine

Old 02-10-2016, 11:03 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

I am kind of ashamed but I have to admit hat the noise was being picked up by one of the RCA. Like I mentioned I installed insulation all over the car, well my smart head decided to run the RCA for the front and rear output right next to the power cable running from the back to the front of the car (my battery is in the back). So to test that, I unplugget that RCA and use another one just from the radio directly to the amp. No noise at all.. I am in the process of rerouting the cable. Will report tom if that was the issue. But I'm POSITIVE It was.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:52 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Ok soooo I guess I spoke too soon. So today I was able to reduce the alternator whine by a lot. I mean it was nasty before. But sadly I still have alternator whine that goes up and down when I give it gas. I tried everything. Different RCA, unplugging antenna, grounding radio to another ground source, even grounding the RCA outputs to the radio chassis and no luck. Still have noise

What do I do next? Can this be the amp? I am really close to just give the GLI a try. I am out of ideas..
Old 02-11-2016, 01:07 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

GLI's should easily fix minor alt whine.

In vettes the 'antenna turn on' signal IS the amp trigger. Don't use HU antenna wire, use amp trigger (blue/white).

Quick Reply: New Head Unit inot all alternator whine