Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Antenna switch for 89

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Charcoal1989
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna switch for 89

Hey guys. I'm replacing an old Kenwood HU with a new one in my 89 coupe. I've read posts about switches that keep the antenna down unless you're listening to the radio but can't find the one's that were mentioned. Any ideas on model #s or sites to check?

Thanks for the help
Old 03-16-2016, 02:31 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Some HU have a separate trigger wire for the antenna (blue vs blue/white) that is only hot when on the radio, if you haven't purchased the new radio yet see if you can find one you like with that feature.

I haven't wired the antenna mast supply in an '89, but if it's just looking for +12v to raise the antenna, then any standard on/off toggle switch from Radio Shack should be fine.
The following users liked this post:
Charcoal1989 (03-17-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 03:47 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Charcoal1989
Hey guys. I'm replacing an old Kenwood HU with a new one in my 89 coupe. I've read posts about switches that keep the antenna down unless you're listening to the radio but can't find the one's that were mentioned. Any ideas on model #s or sites to check?

Thanks for the help
someone has a bypass switch here
The following users liked this post:
Charcoal1989 (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 01:04 PM
Charcoal1989
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
someone has a bypass switch here

Thank you both for the help
Old 03-27-2016, 01:49 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Charcoal1989

Thanks for the help
I know that your car is a C4, but the procedure should be the same. Pull back the carpet near the antenna and look for the three wires. For a C5, splice into the pink (likely the same color for a C4) wire. Run the wires to a toggle switch. I put mine in the ash tray area. The switch keeps the antenna down. It still works fine for local stations even when retracted. Good Luck.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:42 PM
Charcoal1989
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jcgunn
I know that your car is a C4, but the procedure should be the same. Pull back the carpet near the antenna and look for the three wires. For a C5, splice into the pink (likely the same color for a C4) wire. Run the wires to a toggle switch. I put mine in the ash tray area. The switch keeps the antenna down. It still works fine for local stations even when retracted. Good Luck.
It worked just like you said. I spliced into the pink and hid the switch in the console. Thanks for the help

Get notified of new replies

To Antenna switch for 89

Quick Reply: Antenna switch for 89