Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Help with C5 and ROEM VET1

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 10:46 AM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Help with C5 and ROEM VET1

I am in the process of installating a DD Mods Double din bezel with 3 gauge pod. I have a Pioneer AVH-280BT that I will be using as my headunit, and also have a backup camera that mounts above the license plate.

I wired everything for the stereo over the weekend and plugged it all in and the unit did not power up. I am not getting 12V from the yellow wire, which is supposed to be a constant 12V (battery). When i ran a jumper from my switched 12V to the yellow wire, it powered up and everything ran fine. I am using the ROEM-VET1 and it should be plug and play except for the red wire, which goes to a switched 12V.

Any ideas why my yellow wire is not getting a constant 12V?

Secondly, my install has turned into a mess (see pic below). I had to remove the dash pad to get to the cage support. I am having to modify the cage by cutting/hacking portions of it out of the way to get the double din into position. The HVAC controls went in without much issue, just lower the mounting position down and drill new holes.

Attachment 48363338

However, the double din is going to be a challenge. I need some kind of a support for the stereo. I was looking at a generic dash kit like the Metra where it would support the stereo and the mounting depth is adjustable. Anybody know of anything? The one below looks like the depth is fixed.

Amazon.com: Metra Electronics 95-2001 Double DIN Installation Dash Kit for Select 1990-Up GM Vehicles: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra Electronics 95-2001 Double DIN Installation Dash Kit for Select 1990-Up GM Vehicles: Car Electronics
Old 04-04-2016, 10:54 AM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Maybe one of
these these
?
Old 04-04-2016, 12:49 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Which mounting bracket did Dennis recommend?

Re the dead yellow wire....

Check the RDO fuse #5 in the passenger footwell. If that doesn't do it then I'd just run a wire to the Orange wire in the accessory pigtail.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:16 PM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Originally Posted by markcz

Check the RDO fuse #5 in the passenger footwell. If that doesn't do it then I'd just run a wire to the Orange wire in the accessory pigtail.
Dennis didnt have any recommendations for the 3 gauge DD unit. Im on my own on this one. Kinda wished I had known that going into it, not that it would have changed my mind, but I would have been more prepared for what I was about to get into.

I will check the fuses. I was going to pull fuses, but quickly got into a mess with the install. Figured I would ask on here first. Stock unit was working perfectly when I pulled it last week.

Re orange wire, yeah, I realize its an easy fix just to run wiring from battery power. Just curious why the yellow wire in the harness would be dead with a functional stock unit. I will check fuses before i speak any further. Stranger things have happened.

Last edited by TX Z06 02; 04-04-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:25 PM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Oh my dear lord. There already a thread on installing the 3 gauge unit. First time to the Audio/Electronics forum, give me a pass this time please. LOL

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-install.html
Old 04-06-2016, 03:44 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Z06 02
Maybe one of these?
No Way!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:58 AM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Originally Posted by markcz

You were correct! I dont know how it did it, but that fuse was blown.

Replaced and all is good.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:27 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by TX Z06 02
Dennis didnt have any recommendations for the 3 gauge DD unit. Im on my own on this one. Kinda wished I had known that going into it, not that it would have changed my mind, but I would have been more prepared for what I was about to get into.

Would do you mean? Options for what?

I will check the fuses. I was going to pull fuses, but quickly got into a mess with the install. Figured I would ask on here first. Stock unit was working perfectly when I pulled it last week.There is no ACCy power in the C5 you MUST connect to the passenger footwell yellow just as it shows in our install guide on our website

Re orange wire, yeah, I realize its an easy fix just to run wiring from battery power. Just curious why the yellow wire in the harness would be dead with a functional stock unit. I will check fuses before i speak any further. Stranger things have happened.
We have all wiring guides on our website for the install and it shows you MUST connect the red wire to the footwell or under the streering column on a 04
Old 04-07-2016, 05:17 PM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
We have all wiring guides on our website for the install and it shows you MUST connect the red wire to the footwell or under the streering column on a 04
Dennis,

It wasn't the accessory wire that was the issue. I mentioned I already had that connected. It was the yellow wire (12V battery) that was the issue. Checked the RDO fuse and sure enough that was it.

As far as options, I was referring to the mounting options. That was before I knew what I know now - that you have brackets. Early in our conversation you told me that there were no written instructions and I was pretty much on my own. And I updated the other thread with your recommendation of brackets.

I got the brackets coming now and all should be good.

Last edited by TX Z06 02; 04-07-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 AM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Ok, on to the next round of issues.

First is the antennae wire. It doesnt fit in the connection on the radio. Its too loose. IS there a fix for this?

Secondly, the sound is "muddy" and there is a little background noise. Whenever I grounded the radio, i grounded it to a wire that grounds to the cage support. I also have all of my other components grounding here as well. Would grounding the radio separately fix the background noise?

What about the muddy sound? I have briefly read some threads about aftermarket head units and most of them say that you really need to change out the speakers because the bose speakers dont sound good with anything but stock head units. Is this true?
Old 04-11-2016, 11:27 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

For the antennae I had to use an adapter to make the connection. So my antennae wire went into the adapter that fit the head unit.

As for the ground and noise. I had issues at the battery on my car. I ran separate wires to an optima red top. I grounded my head unit to the cage with no issue though.

I have no idea about the bose stuff. I replaced everything when I did my install. You did get one of those electronic adapters for the speakers though correct? Never mind, I just realized you have the PAC thing...

I installed a metra unit on another car, to use the stock speakers, and that thing just sucks. It has a volume screw on it. But I had to put the stock unit in several times to adjust the volume on the stock unit, to control some input on the cars amp. The front speakers drop out from time to time which seems to be an ongoing problem for the unit.

Last edited by bill mcdonald; 04-12-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:01 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

The stock antenna needs an adapter. Metra 40-GM10 or Scosche MDA1B

For the background noise, try playing with the pots on the adapter. Turn them down a bit, which may help with the muddy sound also.

In C5 the aftermarket HU speaker outputs go directly to the rear and front twiddler speakers, and the adapter splits out the bass to go to the door woofers as a line level signal. If you have too much bass you can prob fix it with the pots on the interface adapter or by adjusting the HU tone settings.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with C5 and ROEM VET1

Quick Reply: Help with C5 and ROEM VET1