Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Speaker connectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 06:20 PM
sargeter
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speaker connectors

In my '02 C5 vert, someone had replaced the speakers. He cut the connectors off and hard wired the new speakers and they are toasted. I found and bought stock speakers to put back in but I need to find the connectors that plug into the speakers for the door speakers and rear speakers.
Can anyone tell me where to find the connectors?
I really need these connectors. I've been searching the net for the past few days, looking at a bazillion sites and connectors and not having any luck.
For those who let me know about changing the BSP. I got that done. It wasn't as hard as I worried it would be. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:40 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Any aftermarket 4ohm 2-way speaker will sound better than oem. Why not just get a new set of aftermarkets and use the wires that are there.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:40 PM
sargeter
Advanced

Originally Posted by markcz
Any aftermarket 4ohm 2-way speaker will sound better than oem. Why not just get a new set of aftermarkets and use the wires that are there.
Because I already bought the stock speakers.
When I got the car, he had a Sony stereo in it that I did like because of the little bitty buttons. I didn't want to have to put my reading glasses on every time I wanted to do something with it. The speakers he had in it were half toasted already and I couldn't crank it up very loud to hear it over the loud pipes.
I went on EBay and found a stock stereo and the dealer install it for me. I like the big buttons but the speakers get a really scratchy sound after a couple of minutes now. I got a stock BSP and speakers off EBay. I installed the BSP and it helped a little. Then I went to put in the speakers when I found out about the connectors missing.
I don't want to spend a whole more money that I can't afford since I already have the stuff. I did get an email back from someone who said he has the connectors.
I appreciate your feedback. I'm just an old guy looking for halfway decent sound. I don't need a mega-blaster stereo to rattle the windows.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:01 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Your best bet for getting the stock speaker plugs is a set that someone else cut off

You say "I installed the BSP and it helped a little". How was the stock radio functioning without it? Did you remove one that was already there? If not, whoever replaced the stock radio did something with the wires and you may not actually be running your sound through the processor.

Don't expect miracles from the stock speakers, with everything else also stock they are the weak link
Old 04-12-2016, 11:48 PM
sargeter
Advanced

Originally Posted by markcz
Your best bet for getting the stock speaker plugs is a set that someone else cut off

You say "I installed the BSP and it helped a little". How was the stock radio functioning without it? Did you remove one that was already there? If not, whoever replaced the stock radio did something with the wires and you may not actually be running your sound through the processor.

Don't expect miracles from the stock speakers, with everything else also stock they are the weak link
The BSP was already in there. I just replaced it because I didn't know if the old one was part of the problem.
I figured it was one of three things - the stereo itself, the BSP, or the speakers.
I replaced the BSP and that's not it so next is the speakers. I know the new/used BSP that I bought functions because when I remove the connector, the radio is very faint but you can still barely hear it. When I plug it back in, the radio is louder. If the speakers don't do it, it must be a bad stereo that I got hold of.
That was why I had the dealer install the stereo so they would make sure it was wired right. The original stereo connector was still in there but the guy had cut some of the original wires and had spliced in some of the other new wires. The dealer put the wires back right.
I thought that since so many people were replacing the stock stuff, there would be a lot of stuck stuff out there available to buy and I found the stock stuff I was looking for.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:52 PM
sargeter
Advanced

Originally Posted by sargeter
The BSP was already in there. I just replaced it because I didn't know if the old one was part of the problem.
I figured it was one of three things - the stereo itself, the BSP, or the speakers.
I replaced the BSP and that's not it so next is the speakers. I know the new/used BSP that I bought functions because when I remove the connector, the radio is very faint but you can still barely hear it. When I plug it back in, the radio is louder. If the speakers don't do it, it must be a bad stereo that I got hold of.
That was why I had the dealer install the stereo so they would make sure it was wired right. The original stereo connector was still in there but the guy had cut some of the original wires and had spliced in some of the other new wires. The dealer put the wires back right.
I thought that since so many people were replacing the stock stuff, there would be a lot of stuck stuff out there available to buy and I found the stock stuff I was looking for.
I found the rear speaker connectors. I haven't taken the front door panels off yet. I'm just assuming that since the back ones were hard wired, the front ones probably are too. Now that I've got the back connectors, I'll try to do the back speakers tomorrow and hope for the best.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:54 AM
sargeter
Advanced

I just posted this in my "scratchy speaker" post, too:
My continuing saga. I got the BSP changed a couple days ago and no noticeable difference in the way the stereo was acting.
Today, I changed the rear speakers. I had to get new connectors for the back speakers because he had the other speakers hard wired. Everything (front and rear) worked fine for about a half hour. No squealing or static. I was happy because I thought I had it fixed.
Then it started doing the same thing, making the same noises. Bummer!
I'll get the front speakers changed in a few days. I don't know yet if I'll have to get the connectors for the front, too, since I haven't had the door panels off yet.
It's looking like I might have just got a hold of a bad stereo.

Get notified of new replies

To Speaker connectors

Quick Reply: Speaker connectors