Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C6 Speaker/HU Upgrade w/o Amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Thrahl
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 Speaker/HU Upgrade w/o Amp

Hey guys, I just bought my first Corvette, an MN6 black '07 stripper coupe and so far it's been pretty great.
The factory radio and my blown rear speakers are terrible though so I'm upgrading the system.
I've read multiple threads (including the C6 Audio FAQ which was incredibly helpful) about how to go about upgrading the audio system but I have a couple questions.

It seems like everyone says you can't get decent sound out of the stock setup without a complete overhaul (components in the doors, stealthbox in the back, and amps) but most of what I've read is in regards to the Bose system which I don't have.

My question is, will upgrading my stock HU (I got a Kenwood DDX372BT) and replacing just my blown rear speakers be enough to get decent sound?

I personally think the 8" subs in the doors have good enough thump but the combination of blown rears plus crappy FM compression makes it hard to judge the actual sound quality of the system as it stands.
I'm not looking for a crazy loud setup (I prefer the sound of the engine over the music ), I just want quality sound.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:04 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

If you have non-Bose then you don't have the self-powered door subs, you just have regular speakers. Just FYI.

IMO, to get YOUR exact setup sounding the best, I would buy new 2-way 4 ohm 5.25" coaxial speakers for the rears that have no more than 50wRMS power rating (something like the Polk 521 or Kenwood KFC).

Make sure you use an interface adapter that uses the HU line-level RCA outputs to supply the stock amp, but only connect the fronts to the adapter. Then re-wire the new rear speakers directly to the HU speaker outputs. You can use HU front/rear fade adjustment to keep a proper balance.

I believe that would sound the best while only replacing what you have to.
The following users liked this post:
Thrahl (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 07:44 PM
Thrahl
7th Gear

Hey thanks for the response Mark.

I like your ideas, I think that will give me what I'm looking for without too much work or money.
I went ahead and ordered the KFCs, they have great reviews and the price is right.

I'm not familiar with the wiring behind the stock unit. I ordered a Peripheral GMCO and it looks like that provides line level RCA to the stock amp, is that correct?

If that's the case then it should be a pretty straight forward install, I'll just have to run some speaker wire from the HU to the rears which shouldn't be too bad.

I'll keep you guys updated and probably take some pics as I go.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:38 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The GMCO is an older model, but it should work great
Old 06-02-2016, 07:47 AM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the none bose and had the head unit changed this spring . And I would say it sounds better . Next spring I may replace rears and door speakers . Some say it will be better others say no ?

Last edited by skar; 06-02-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Thrahl
7th Gear

Just finished the install today, it sounds great!

I ended up not swapping the rear speakers or running cable for them.
I could have sworn they were blown but now everything sounds fine so I'm not sure what I was hearing before

I planned to make a run straight from the HU to the rears but they sound awesome through the stock amp so I'm not going to mess with that either.

It was pretty straight forward, I just plugged the GMCO RCAs straight into the line level outputs on the HU and all was well (well after I figured out that the blue wire needed to be connected to signal the amp to turn on )

Only a couple issues. I only ordered one ground loop isolator since I didnt plan to use the RCAs for the rear and now they pop when the music is paused or turned off. A second is on the way now.
The other issue is that the GMCO has the most obnoxious chime I have ever heard. It's so loud and tinny. When I go back in there to install the other isolator I'm going to wrap it with electrical tape or something to quiet it down.

Overall I'm very pleased. More than enough thump and gets plenty loud with great quality. It looks better than stock too haha.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:11 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

If you have foam tape it works good, or try wrapping the GMCO with a small rag, then cocoon it with electrical tape

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Speaker/HU Upgrade w/o Amp

Quick Reply: C6 Speaker/HU Upgrade w/o Amp