Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bose system removal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 01:20 PM
DC 155
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Bose system removal?

I bought an 86 Coupe last week that has the Bose system. The radio only puts out white noise and the clock stays at 1:00. None of the buttons work. After reading a bunch of posts and a little research the system sounds very complicated and poorly rated. Because of this I'm contemplating putting an aftermarket system in it. Hence my question, How complicated is it to remove the entire system for someone who's installed basic system(head unit & speakers) in most of their cars? Trying to avoid dumping money at a stereo shop if I can do it myself.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by C4Mike3758
I bought an 86 Coupe last week that has the Bose system. The radio only puts out white noise and the clock stays at 1:00. None of the buttons work. After reading a bunch of posts and a little research the system sounds very complicated and poorly rated. Because of this I'm contemplating putting an aftermarket system in it. Hence my question, How complicated is it to remove the entire system for someone who's installed basic system(head unit & speakers) in most of their cars? Trying to avoid dumping money at a stereo shop if I can do it myself.
you are not accepting instant messaging . Interested in radio
Old 06-15-2016, 09:52 PM
alcoed
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

I had a base '89 before this 03. I experienced the same poor quality performance and sound quality from the fact bose system. I replaced the head unit with a double din pioneer unit with serius, hands free phone, pandora, rear camera, cd, dvd, and navigation. Installed quality 6.5 in the doors, and 6 by 9s in the back. The aftermarket head unit with all of the available rca jacks in the rear of unit made it very easy to place a removable sub woofer box in the rear of the auto. The sound was awesome and really not that expensive when you consider the sound quality and features.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:47 AM
DC 155
Instructor

Nice, thanks.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:25 AM
DC 155
Instructor

Originally Posted by alcoed
I had a base '89 before this 03. I experienced the same poor quality performance and sound quality from the fact bose system. I replaced the head unit with a double din pioneer unit with serius, hands free phone, pandora, rear camera, cd, dvd, and navigation. Installed quality 6.5 in the doors, and 6 by 9s in the back. The aftermarket head unit with all of the available rca jacks in the rear of unit made it very easy to place a removable sub woofer box in the rear of the auto. The sound was awesome and really not that expensive when you consider the sound quality and features.
1. Did you have to run new wires from head unit to the speakers or were you able to use the existing wires from the Bose speakers you took out?

2. Did the double din fit without modification? I thought I read that the stereo location was 1.5 din.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. I just want to have everything thought out and researched before I tear into it.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:42 PM
alcoed
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts
Default to do list

Originally Posted by C4Mike3758
1. Did you have to run new wires from head unit to the speakers or were you able to use the existing wires from the Bose speakers you took out?

2. Did the double din fit without modification? I thought I read that the stereo location was 1.5 din.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. I just want to have everything thought out and researched before I tear into it.
I did run new dedicated speaker wires. This is really no big deal because you will have to run rear camera, phone mic, rear amp, sirius,park brake, wiring anyway. This is a major project, but, trust me, the sound makes it all worth while.
Yes, the stock unit is one and one half, but if you remove the cross bar, it does fit.
Attached Images     
Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 PM
DC 155
Instructor

Great, thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:53 PM
Izzy Dizzy
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default My 89 with a Sony am/fm minidisc

Metra dash kit, Removed all Bose stuff. Did not cut any wires/ran new ones including power to new HU. Disconnected Bose relay too.
New wires to all speakers. Sounds great.
I saved all the Bose stuff for if and when I ever sell my car.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:11 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzy Dizzy
Metra dash kit, Removed all Bose stuff. Did not cut any wires/ran new ones including power to new HU. Disconnected Bose relay too.
New wires to all speakers. Sounds great.
I saved all the Bose stuff for if and when I ever sell my car.
nope, sorry. Just don't like non stock upgrades
Old 08-18-2016, 07:12 PM
Izzy Dizzy
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Aftermarket stero

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
nope, sorry. Just don't like non stock upgrades
I struggled whether or not to do the aftermarket install. Researched the alternatives and was not about to spend close to $400 to have all the amps rebuilt and the Delco/Bose unit's cassette deck was also inoperative, so more $$ for that repair. I had the Sony unit already and decided to put it to use. For me it was a practical solution.
I'd rather have a decent stereo to listen to than the factory unit to just look at....AND, I could reinstall everything if I ever got the bug to do so.

Get notified of new replies

To Bose system removal?

Quick Reply: Bose system removal?