Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

c2 - amp installation/ground issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 11:12 AM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,027 Likes on 542 Posts

Default c2 - amp installation/ground issue?

I recently put in an amp/hu/speaker install, mounted on the removable panel in the rear of my '67. This is a mild setup -- 250 rms watt amp, 6.5 inch speakers, 500 watt self-powered slim (I believe that's peak power).

I'm having a helluva time with the amps clipping out when the car is running, and I'm assuming I just have a bad ground. so, for anyone that's done an amp install in a c2, any tips? Where do you ground it? I've tried the exhaust hanger, the sill, and next am going to attempt the ground strap at the antenna, but I'm at the point where I'm just going to run a nice thick gauge wire directly to the neg battery terminal.

If this isn't the problem, anything else I should look at?
Old 06-26-2016, 12:50 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

ok, so to put a finner point on this, I don't think the ground is the issue. I put a volt meter at the amp, and it's seeing constant 14 volts while running. But for whatever reason, it just keeps cutting out at higher volumes (by "cutting out," I mean it just shuts off, then turns back on when I lower the volume)

Any thoughts on this? This is not what I would consider a high-powered system. I'm running a nrockford r400-40 amp, two speakers, and a 10" small powered sub. I'm running a pioneer media receiver (top model, forgot the model number).
I'd say it was the amp, but I had a much smaller, older Rockforrd in here until last week, and it was doing the same thing.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:12 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

and the jackazz of the year award goes to...

I pulled everything apart, looks like I had the remote and the +12 on the subwoofer amp reversed, and it was creating all kinds of havoc. Properly wired, sounds great now...

Idiot. I've done dozens of these things, never once done something so stupid.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:54 AM
My addiction
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by JMG2
and the jackazz of the year award goes to...

I pulled everything apart, looks like I had the remote and the +12 on the subwoofer amp reversed, and it was creating all kinds of havoc. Properly wired, sounds great now...

Idiot. I've done dozens of these things, never once done something so stupid.
Would love to see pics of your system and find out if you put your amp in rear storage well? Did you put a sub woofer in the other? Not to many people going with a good system in the coupes? Like to hear your thoughts and whether your still happy with what you have!

Get notified of new replies

To c2 - amp installation/ground issue?

Quick Reply: c2 - amp installation/ground issue?