Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aftermarket Amp and Sub installed on a C7, 1LT

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 12:11 PM
promethius
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Aftermarket Amp and Sub installed on a C7, 1LT

Afternoon,

I had a local audio shop install an amp and subwoofer to my 15 C7 1LT "no previous subwoofer". Install was uneventful but the product is terrible. All they are getting is a constant noise from the sub, which is worse when operating the car. They believe the problem is the noise cancelling subsystem of the Bose system is causing the problem and recommending to "turn off the noise cancelling feature", which appears not to be a easy thing to do.
With that said.....has anyone installed an amp and sub to their C7 and experienced the same problem and how was it fixed. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:48 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

I haven't done mine yet, but according to this post you need to turn it off or unplug the mic.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:00 PM
promethius
Burning Brakes

If you turn off the mics, wouldnt you lose the capability to have hands free driving, etc. That is not a good option, in my opinion!
Old 08-14-2016, 11:05 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

I believe it's a different mic.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:57 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

If you're just looking to disable Bose's installed noise cancellation you can do that from the head unit under settings. You're looking for Bose Audiopilot, switch it off. That will disable all of the active noise cancellation from the system. Not sure how it would help your situation, but hey, if the shop thinks it will work then why not try it?
Old 08-14-2016, 02:12 PM
promethius
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the head unit information. Will check my audio when I get home. I have the base unit audio system, so hopefully it has the same capability.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:16 PM
promethius
Burning Brakes

Not an electronics guy, but based on everything I read it seems reasonable based on how the noise cancellation system works! Will let everyone know how it goes!
Old 08-14-2016, 04:32 PM
promethius
Burning Brakes

mdiiulio,

Looked at the head unit and sure enough....the Bose AutoPilot feature is not listed under the Radio setting. Well that tells me either the 1LT doesnt have the noise cancelling technology, or the base audio system doesn't have the capability of turning it on/off via the head unit. Thanks for the information. Will have to determine one or the other!
Old 08-14-2016, 04:47 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Unplug the mic its on pillar next to drivers seat back if I recall
Old 08-14-2016, 05:14 PM
promethius
Burning Brakes

Pentavolvo,

Thanks, so it is on the back pillar, behind the driver? I am assuming the trim has to be removed to access it?
Old 08-14-2016, 06:04 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by promethius
mdiiulio,

Looked at the head unit and sure enough....the Bose AutoPilot feature is not listed under the Radio setting. Well that tells me either the 1LT doesnt have the noise cancelling technology, or the base audio system doesn't have the capability of turning it on/off via the head unit. Thanks for the information. Will have to determine one or the other!
Ouch, just familiar with my 2LT, sorry.

Just looked at the infotainment manual... Has "Bose Audiopilot (if equipped)" Looks like 1LT audio may not have it. But then again, the regular manual also has a "LATCH (if equipped)" section for child seats, yet exactly 0.000 corvettes are equipped with them. So there's that

Last edited by mdiiulio; 08-14-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:29 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

mdiiulio,

Are you in the main settings screen or on the menu screen accessed from the main audio screen?

Look under the Menu tab on the far right of the main audio screen

Old 08-14-2016, 09:39 PM
promethius
Burning Brakes

Went back and looked under the menu screen....not there! So it must be associated to the upgraded audio system!
Old 08-14-2016, 09:46 PM
promethius
Burning Brakes

I got part of the schematics for the 1LT, that shows the speaker wire colors for each speaker. Right now the audio shop is tapped into one of the back speakers which I have now learned is the wrong one. It has to be one of the woofer speakers in the doors. Hopefully tomorrow I will have the other two parts that show which pins in the 16 pin plug attached to the factory amp control the noise canceling mics so I can get them turned off. So I think I'm heading in the right direction. Will keep you updated. I appreciate the help and assistance!!!!!

Last edited by promethius; 08-14-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:46 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I can't find my copy of schematic send to me and I'll take a look at it
Old 07-16-2017, 11:49 AM
jonparks
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Afternoon,

I had a local audio shop install an amp and subwoofer to my 15 C7 1LT "no previous subwoofer". Install was uneventful but the product is terrible. All they are getting is a constant noise from the sub, which is worse when operating the car. They believe the problem is the noise cancelling subsystem of the Bose system is causing the problem and recommending to "turn off the noise cancelling feature", which appears not to be a easy thing to do.
With that said.....has anyone installed an amp and sub to their C7 and experienced the same problem and how was it fixed. Thanks in advance.
Been down this road.
So the noise canceling mic is on each door panel. You'll need to remove the door panel on each side and unplug the wire going to the mic. Its easy to find its the only wire that goes to anything that resembles a mic. That will solve the "white noise" problem. Turning it off at the head unit will not help (I've tried it).

BTW save yourself some time and frustration. Purchase some type of Signal leveling product (I used a BitOne but there are others that work just as well for cheaper). Pull the high signal inputs from the Bose Amp. The sound is much better but lets face it. It will never sound as good as a aftermarket head unit which in our case is not obtainable.

Last edited by jonparks; 07-16-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Amp and Sub installed on a C7, 1LT

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Amp and Sub installed on a C7, 1LT