Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

My C5Z's audio upgrade

Old 09-18-2016, 03:22 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Default My C5Z's audio upgrade and some questions about install.

So I've been collecting parts and waiting for bezel and misc stuff for the past 3 months. I purchased most of the components from Dennis at DD Mods and I got the Subs from Marc at VetteNuts.

Both are a pleasure to speak to and to deal with.

Most importantly is Hands Free communication to take calls, and a backup and front cameras.

I only wish I would have emphasized that I don't like buying stuff that are made in bloody China!

Here are some pics of what will be going into the car over the next 2-3 weeks!

I'm really hoping this amp will fit under the passenger seat, and I hope that the complete system will sound better than the stock Bose system, as the Bose system has a nice thump base coming from the doors and i kinda like that..

The subs i got are 8" JL w3v3 i believe.

Here she is, 03 50th lowered on stock bolts

In this pic you can see all the Raamat BXII i got, hopefully this will also reduce the damn heat!

I hope these are good... anyone have experience with them? In all the threads ive been reading everybody has custom ones...these are like generic off the shelf pieces....

Is this camera any good?

Pemium installation brackets

Im worried this package isnt up to par with the amp im going to be running?? any opinions?

uploadimage

I have a few questions.. Since I got 4 replacement speakers, do I need to run wires to all of them? Also what sequence would you want to do this install in?

Strip interior, do the raamat and ensolite, backup camera, speaker wiring(if needed), speakers then receiver last??

Thanks

Last edited by Georgies; 10-07-2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: corrections and adding remarks to products i received
Old 09-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

anyone? im going to start stripping the interior, will check back later for advise

Thanks
Old 09-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

ok Spoke to Dennis, and I need to run all the speakers to the amp! I will try to document this as best as i can in case anyone is in the same boat as I am.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:38 PM
Vegas Vette
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts

Looking forward to the install pics.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:31 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Its alaways time consuming to get my vette into my garage, have to go nice and slow considering the slope and the shittty entrance.

Here you can see the boards I use to get her in without bottoming out onto the floor and screwing up the rockers...nxt year I plan to make some solid Teflon skid plates cuz its always nerve racking All thos scratches on the floor were from my previous fox body notchback.

This is the final spot for doing the audio install as i'm going to need space to have the doors open...that's why i'm avoiding the car lift.

A few more shots in my man cave..

Here you can see I covered my table support with some polar fleece(benefits of working in the Shmata business)

Just clearing my locker....cant afford to make a single scratch!

Quick interior shot without the bezel

9/32 socket driver and a little pull here and there and the stock radio and a/c units are out! More polar fleece, soo soft!

I pulled the rear carpet. Had to remove thos plastic cargo wing nuts and then the rear piece has velcro on the two compartments over the muffler area and it just pulls out. Will post pics of the carpet tmr.

Does this look stock????!!! Also are these rubbery sticky black patches stuck to the floor stock?

This is the piece that's under the rear windshield. Im removing this to get to the rear speakers. Pried off those two plastic fasteners but it didnt wanna come out! Finally I figured out you have to pull the whole piece towards the front of the car pretty hard. It made a big snap sound and I thought I broke the goddamn thing but to my surprise it was out! Nothing broken!

Here you can see where the metal clips were pulled out of.

Here you can see the driver side rear speaker area... I figured I should attack the seatbelt first.

This is the passenger side seat belt. To get access to the bolt you need to remove the plastic cover. Im pointing in the wrong place, but just under where i'm pointing is a tab you just push up with your left hand and with your right you pull on the cover...no tools needed..

click image upload
Old 09-20-2016, 07:05 AM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

When taking out the upper shelf...is there a way to take it out without damaging it? Id like to do this install in a way that if i must sell i can put all the stock stuff back in..

Thanks
Old 09-20-2016, 11:50 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Use a torx t-50 male socket to take out the seat belt bolt and label it.

Now you need to remove this barbed push pin from the weather strip that goes into the rear speaker panel...

Here the push pin was removed and the panel seperated. You can see the hole it was previously in. To take out the pannel you need to lift it over the lip along the door then wiggle it and pull towards the center of the car and the 3 clips will pop out.

Here you can see the 3 clips

This is what it looks like with the panel removed

Here they both are out of the car

Next up was the door sills, just pull them up, once a few clips pop loose start pulling towards the back of the car and they come out.

Now I take out the seat belt assembly covers(b pillar). I didn't take very good pics here but just use common sense and fishe the seat belts threw the slits and they should come out. I did it with the seat in the car but it would have been easier without the seats.

Here are the two pieces on the table ready for wrapping

Here you can see i wrapped everything in fabric and bagged them to protect them from all the dust and crap at my factory incase this project turns out to take more time than expected..

Next on the list was the seats...i started with the passenger seat. You can see this expandable push pins need to come out to be able to remove the front seat bolts.

Once the pin is out pull the cover towards the front of the car and it pops off.

Some shots of what it looks like with the seat out and the carpets. The carpets just come off and the kick panel or whatever you call it at the passengers feet is attached with Velcro.

Hey whats up! Dont look at my crotch

how to do a screen shot

Last edited by Georgies; 09-21-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:13 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

This is under the glove box. the panel that holds the foot well light is floppy...is that cause there is a fastener missing If so is it supposed to be the same as the one next to it (Circle pushpin)

Here is whats adjacent to the accordion tube that goes to the door... how do you take it off? I need to fish my speaker cables to the door once i get there..
Thanks
Old 09-21-2016, 03:08 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgies
This is under the glove box. the panel that holds the foot well light is floppy...is that cause there is a fastener missing If so is it supposed to be the same as the one next to it (Circle pushpin)
If I remember correctly, it is held in with 2 push pins, and the cut seam makes it really easy to break it into 2 pieces. I don't think the fasteners are the same kind.

Originally Posted by Georgies
Here is whats adjacent to the accordion tube that goes to the door... how do you take it off? I need to fish my speaker cables to the door once i get there..
Thanks
I have no idea what this is, or what is in this picture. what am I looking at?
Old 09-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

the black square piece with stickers(bar codes) is where i need to go threw to pass speaker wire threw into the door... behind that piece is the accordion tube going into the door.

thanks
Old 09-21-2016, 03:40 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I did not need to remove any of those things when I did mine. You just need to pull out the speakers to run cable.

If you wish to add sound coverage to the door and want to remove that stuff, take a look at these pics.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591951646

which is why your photo of the door does not look like anything. Did you take that laying down or something?

Or is this the door jam? Under the dash?

Last edited by bill mcdonald; 09-21-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:13 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

ok but i need to run the cables from the speaker to the crossover and the crossover to the amp right? im planning on installing the amp under the pass seat... how do i pass the cables into the cabin?
Old 09-21-2016, 04:14 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

man maybe i shoulda went with 3 way speakers instead of 2ways
Old 09-22-2016, 09:15 AM
Z06_ER
Navigator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hope this helps i am doing the same thing right now. The square access panel above has i think 4 little L type clips that hold the panel up into the access hole to your door. 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. Using your panel puller push up on the bottom of the square panel and pull backward to release the bottom. Once you have the bottom out you can just pull the panel down and away from the hole. Run your speaker wire into the door from this hole then at the top of the panel there is a slit that you can run your wire through. Once you get all the wires in the slit just pop the panel back on the access hole.

This is my Drivers Side
Old 09-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Thanks alot man! I didnt want to try and pry it by fear of damaging it. I see your running some special type of speaker wire? Since i dont want to do this again, any suggestions on decent wire?
Old 09-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Z06_ER
Navigator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had some left over wire from Crutchfield when doing a couple of neighbors cars a while back it is Stinger PRO Series oxygen-free copper wire 16GA.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:33 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

ok man good luck! i will keep posting away till this is done on my end!

Get notified of new replies

To My C5Z's audio upgrade

Old 09-22-2016, 05:19 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

More pics please
Old 09-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

sarcastic much lol! As the install progresses I will definitely post more pics!
Old 09-22-2016, 08:19 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Still waiting on someone to give me some input on that stock looking sound deadening. Is it stock?

Should i put the raamat over it? Should i take it off?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My C5Z's audio upgrade