Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Best Navigation/Touch screen

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 09:31 AM
BillytheKidder
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Best Navigation/Touch screen

I have a Kenwood 692 nav unit and am quite pleased, with one exception; the screen is practically unreadable with any amount of of sunshine, and it doesn't have to be direct light. I think I have the brightness and contrast cranked up as far as possible.

What other brands offer better visibility? Is one brand or another a concensus leader in this area?
Old 09-25-2016, 11:28 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The only options that will have better visibility are
Kenwood DNN992
Kenwood DNX893S
Kenwood DDX99093S
Pioneer NEX8200
Alpine IL00X
Pioneer APP4

These all have a capacitive touch screen and what I recommend for options now for those especially with a coupe or convertible.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:32 PM
BillytheKidder
Racer

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
The only options that will have better visibility are
Kenwood DNN992
Kenwood DNX893S
Kenwood DDX99093S
Pioneer NEX8200
Alpine IL00X
Pioneer APP4

These all have a capacitive touch screen and what I recommend for options now for those especially with a coupe or convertible.
Dennis, thanks for the response. I have some questions. Presuming that I stay with the Kenwood line, could I use the same harness you made up for my 692? Will there be an appreciable difference in the screen? Is the capacitive screen the same as on the Garmin Nuvi line of GPSs?
Old 09-25-2016, 12:54 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by BillytheKidder
Dennis, thanks for the response. I have some questions. Presuming that I stay with the Kenwood line, could I use the same harness you made up for my 692? Will there be an appreciable difference in the screen? Is the capacitive screen the same as on the Garmin Nuvi line of GPSs?
The pac harness yes can be reused yes but it will have to be rewired to the new harness as this year has a different harness from Kenwood

YEs
BIG difference in the visibility of the screen in sunlight.

If it has a capacitive touch screen then I would assume yes it would be similar. I have not seen or had a NUVI Garmin in my hand in many years to be honest and dont follow whats going on with them. But if it has a capacitive touch screen then thats why GArmin switched things up so it could be seen
Old 09-25-2016, 03:53 PM
BillytheKidder
Racer

Dennis, can you give me a price for the Kenwood 893s? Include all the satellite stuff, even if I don't use it it will be installed.

Last edited by BillytheKidder; 09-25-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:22 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by BillytheKidder
Dennis, can you give me a price for the Kenwood 893s? Include all the satellite stuff, even if I don't use it it will be installed.
Just give me a call as I can not post pricing here below MAP price rules allowed by KEnwood

608 854 2033

Thanks!
Dennis
Old 09-28-2016, 11:20 AM
duegatti
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently had a DNX893S installed, and I find the visibility of the screen to be horrible (this is in a convertible with the top down). It's a huge, expensive disappointment. I previously had a DNX9990.

I would find it hard to believe that the DNX893S could be appreciably better than anything. It's like a mirror. In fact, as I was reading the OP I assumed that the 692 must have the same kind of screen as the DNX893S.

I think that under just the right conditions, the DNX9990 could wash out completely, but there seem to be almost no conditions under which the DNX893S is easy to read.

So, I'd recommend caution and thorough investigation. Best of luck, and let us know how things turn out.

Last edited by duegatti; 09-28-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:58 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by duegatti
I just recently had a DNX893S installed, and I find the visibility of the screen to be horrible (this is in a convertible with the top down). It's a huge, expensive disappointment. I previously had a DNX9990.

I would find it hard to believe that the DNX893S could be appreciably better than anything. It's like a mirror. In fact, as I was reading the OP I assumed that the 692 must have the same kind of screen as the DNX893S.

I think that under just the right conditions, the DNX9990 could wash out completely, but there seem to be almost no conditions under which the DNX893S is easy to read.

So, I'd recommend caution and thorough investigation. Best of luck, and let us know how things turn out.

Joe you have to have something wrong in your settings if your having troubles.
There is a huge difference when using the 893 in the sunlight over the other models without the capacitve touch screen.

I just showed a customer last week side by side outside in the sunlight the 773 vs the 893
the 773 you could not see the screen and the 893 you could

Same with another customer who ordered a 6903 and had issues as he didnt want to spend the extra for the 9903. Called me up and ordered the 9903 and sold his 6903 after seeing the one we sent his son for his C5. He swapped the 6903 to the 9903(which is same as the 893 with no nav) and said he could read the screen with top down unlike the 6903 he originally installed.

so Maybe you have the settings off on the screen. Call me if you need to and we can figure it out.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:01 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

sunlight pic of an 893
Old 09-28-2016, 09:24 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks amazing!
Old 09-28-2016, 10:25 PM
duegatti
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing? It looks like a hand, holding a camera, and an arm, and a t-shirt, and a waterfall with the logo, and a light oak passenger seat. It's like a mirror. Sure, superimposed on that we can see the diluted view out the back camera. But imagine if you were trying to read a Nav screen through those reflections - impossible.

Dennis, thanks for reaching out, and I will give you a call sometime soon. But the Nav screen only has one display adjustment setting in its menu, and the picture you've posted does capture most of what I am struggling with as I try to use the unit. If the photo is everybody's idea of great legibility, then I am way, way out of calibration with what the technology has to offer. We'll see what we can do.

Thanks,

Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Best Navigation/Touch screen

Quick Reply: Best Navigation/Touch screen