Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 USB / Aux Port Placement

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 04:20 PM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default C6 USB / Aux Port Placement

I just ordered the Kenwood head unit I've had my eye on for some time now (DDX9903S) and was interested in getting suggestions and preferably pictures of how people have mounted their USB and auxiliary ports and cables in the C6. My headunit has 2x39" USB leads that connect to a proprietary port in the back of the headunit. My initial plan was to remove the 12V socket in the center storage compartment and replace it with something like the Rockford Fosgate PAUX pictured below, but that would leave a huge amount of extra USB cable behind the dash which might cause slow charging and signal interference, and would still require an additional length of USB in the storage compartment. Now I'm leaning toward eliminating the 12V port and replacing it with a simple rubber grommet through which the USB and Aux cables can pass. I would like to know what other solutions people have used, since I know there are several here who have Kenwood headunits with rear USB leads. Please post pictures if you have any personal experience or recommendations for a clean install.

Rockford Fosgate PAUX:

I am also interested in pictures of clean and effective mounting locations for the microphone in the C6, I would prefer not to put it in front of the gauges in my line of sight, right now I'm considering the A pillar as a possibility.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

So you are looking for something with a shorter cable?

Like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PAC-USB-...-/311549679279
Old 12-09-2016, 02:25 PM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Homer3D
So you are looking for something with a shorter cable?
Like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PAC-USB-...-/311549679279
Yeah something similar to that, but that one is a bit smaller than a 12V port, so it would need an adapter to mount in the 12V location.

Alternatively I could leave the 12V and cut a new hole next to it though.

My ideal solution would be either some kind of generic USB mounting blank, into which the included Kenwood USB ends could be mounted, or a USB port with male on the back and female on the front, with no cable in between. I would also like to have the Aux port in the same mount, but that is less important.

I am a little surprised Kenwood does not seem to have any other solutions that use their proprietary port, aside from just the loose cables. I'm sure some others have run into this with the popularity of Kenwood Excelon receivers in the C5 and C6.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:42 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

For the mic, top of the A pillar or above the rear view mirror.

For the USB, it depends what you'll be plugging in and how often you'll change it.

If it's a phone every time you get in/out of the car, definitely put it in reach, possibly in sight of the driver. Under the arm rest works, but it may get annoying to plug/unplug every time you get in the car.

If you're just plugging in an iPod that's dedicated to the car, then just run the wire you have to the glove box and let it sit in there.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:55 PM
wallyh
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you ever solve your problem? I'll be facing the same problem soon.
Wally
Old 02-11-2017, 12:27 AM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Originally Posted by wallyh
Did you ever solve your problem? I'll be facing the same problem soon.
Wally
Once I got it apart I didn't really see any way to discreetly mount the USB port, I ended up running the Android Auto/Apple Carplay USB out of the little change compartment/ashtray below the climate controls, so I can still close it up if I'm not using it. The other, which is designed only for USB storage devices, I routed into the glove compartment, and I will probably never use it. I would still rather have the phone USB come out from the center armrest compartment so that the phone could be shut in there with no cords showing. As it is right now, there is a cord running out of the dash to the phone, which sits in the cupholder for lack of any better place to put it.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:22 PM
wallyh
Intermediate

Thanks for the fast reply. The ashtray in my Vette is being used to "hide" my Mild to Wild switch. I think your earlier idea of using the 12v port in the console. I only use the 12v port for my iPhone which I believe the radio will take care of. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Wally
Old 02-11-2017, 05:43 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

I'd recommend glove box over console for things being left in the car for long periods of time.

Things overheat in the console, and then they shut off.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:00 PM
wallyh
Intermediate

Thanks again - knew about the console heat but forgot! Did you install a backup camera? If so, where did you mount the camera? I've watched a YouTube where the camera was mounted off center.
Wally
Old 02-11-2017, 06:04 PM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Thanks for the fast reply. The ashtray in my Vette is being used to "hide" my Mild to Wild switch. I think your earlier idea of using the 12v port in the console. I only use the 12v port for my iPhone which I believe the radio will take care of. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Wally
Seems like it would work, just be careful to cap off the positive power connection after you remove the port so you don't get a short. I can't remember for sure from when I had it apart, but I think the power port may be an integrated part of the console, so you may have to carefully cut around it with a hole saw or something to remove it. If you only use your power port for a phone charger or USB charger then yes, the new headunit will supply charging power, but it may not be as high-current as your car charger (depends on the headunit) so in some cases your phone might charge slower. My Kenwood Excelon DDX9903S supports rapid charge with my phone, but it still isn't quite as fast as some wall chargers.

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
I'd recommend glove box over console for things being left in the car for long periods of time.

Things overheat in the console, and then they shut off.
I've always heard this, but never had any problem in my 06 with console heat. I wonder if the previous owner put some insulation under the console, seem unlikely though as he modified nothing and had all of his maintenance done at the dealer.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:11 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WhoIsPat
I've always heard this, but never had any problem in my 06 with console heat. I wonder if the previous owner put some insulation under the console, seem unlikely though as he modified nothing and had all of his maintenance done at the dealer.
I stopped leaving chap stick in my C6's center console because it kept melting.

It doesn't "feel" hot, but it IS hot.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:40 PM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Thanks again - knew about the console heat but forgot! Did you install a backup camera? If so, where did you mount the camera? I've watched a YouTube where the camera was mounted off center.
Wally
I ran a backup camera, Bluetooth microphone, and GPS antenna.

Running the wires to the back was easier than I expected, ran it up through the passenger side of the interior, same as my BB Fusion wiring, then I just routed it out of an existing grommet near the center of the rear wall of the trunk. I spliced the power and signal wires to the passenger backup light, that was probably the hardest part since I don't have a lift.

This is the camera I bought from Amazon, This is the camera I bought from Amazon,
I do not recommend it because the lens does not actually tilt 85 degrees like it says, the wire in the back gets pinched against the inside of the housing at about 60 degrees, which points the camera down too much and not out enough. But what I do like is that the size of it makes it a press fit into the gap in the bumper, so I did not drill or use any fasteners, it holds pretty confidently without putting any strain on the bumper material. mounting it this way makes it off center by about 4 inches, but it's not enough to cause any problems as far as figuring out what is where behind you.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:07 PM
I brake for nothing
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by WhoIsPat
I just ordered the Kenwood head unit I've had my eye on for some time now (DDX9903S) and was interested in getting suggestions and preferably pictures of how people have mounted their USB and auxiliary ports and cables in the C6. My headunit has 2x39" USB leads that connect to a proprietary port in the back of the headunit. My initial plan was to remove the 12V socket in the center storage compartment and replace it with something like the Rockford Fosgate PAUX pictured below, but that would leave a huge amount of extra USB cable behind the dash which might cause slow charging and signal interference, and would still require an additional length of USB in the storage compartment. Now I'm leaning toward eliminating the 12V port and replacing it with a simple rubber grommet through which the USB and Aux cables can pass. I would like to know what other solutions people have used, since I know there are several here who have Kenwood headunits with rear USB leads. Please post pictures if you have any personal experience or recommendations for a clean install.

Rockford Fosgate PAUX:

I am also interested in pictures of clean and effective mounting locations for the microphone in the C6, I would prefer not to put it in front of the gauges in my line of sight, right now I'm considering the A pillar as a possibility.
For the USB you can simply un plug the stock usb in the console and plug in the a standard usb cell phone cable with the larger end (not micro usb) .

I was going to buy one of those until I took it apart and realized you can just plug your usb cable into the back of the stock port. Doesnt get any more stealthy than that.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:28 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by I brake for nothing
For the USB you can simply un plug the stock usb in the console and plug in the a standard usb cell phone cable with the larger end (not micro usb) .

I was going to buy one of those until I took it apart and realized you can just plug your usb cable into the back of the stock port. Doesnt get any more stealthy than that.
You gotta have a 2009 or later to have that port!
The following users liked this post:
Movie Muscle (06-10-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:29 AM
wallyh
Intermediate

Not sure when the USB port was added but it's not in my 2009.
Wally
Old 02-14-2017, 10:02 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure when the USB port was added but it's not in my 2009.
Wally
I think it only came in cars that had the stock navigation system.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:36 PM
wallyh
Intermediate

Mine has the stock Nav system.
Wally

Get notified of new replies

To C6 USB / Aux Port Placement

Old 02-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Watchie
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine has the stock Nav system.
Wally
First, it's my understanding that the mounted USP/Aux port in the center storage compartment came out in 2011, and then only with those cars with factory nav.

With that said, IMO a better option is to remove the cigarette lighter from the compartment under the heat/ac controls and use that for installation of a USB/Aux port. The hole is 1" in diameter (just over 3/4" if you leave the cigarette lighter mounting ring in place) and certainly it would be easy to glue in most anything behind the hole cut to the right size.

This arrangement has one very big advantage - your USB/Aux device can be placed on or in the cup holder compartment and unlike with the center storage area the heat issue is for the most part resolved.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:14 PM
wallyh
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply, that's what I too thought about when the USB and aux ports were added.
The idea of using the cigarette lighter is good. I think the USB leads from the radio are about 36 or so inches in length (radio is still on the way) so I guess the extra length would be "tucked" somewhere in back of the dash?
Wally
Old 02-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Watchie
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the reply, that's what I too thought about when the USB and aux ports were added.
The idea of using the cigarette lighter is good. I think the USB leads from the radio are about 36 or so inches in length (radio is still on the way) so I guess the extra length would be "tucked" somewhere in back of the dash?
Wally
The cable from the OEM Nav is about 13" long I think, but not sure as mind is on the way. In any case, yes, there should be room to tuck it all out of the way.

Quick Reply: C6 USB / Aux Port Placement