Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I'm back after a few years. Looking for ideas for my new Corvette.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 06:10 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Default I'm back after a few years. Looking for ideas for my new Corvette.

Back in 2013 I had an 05 C6 Z51 that I put a Nexus 7 in. Some of you may recall this thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-thread.html

Back when I went the DIY tablet route, there weren’t any good out of the box plug and play solutions providing the functionality I wanted so I had to make my own. A few years later it looks like there are some good options (Android head units, Carplay, Android Auto, Mirror link etc).

Over the last few years, I drove a couple Porsches where I was content to leave the infotainment stock. I’m a few years behind on in car tech upgrades at this point and don’t have a lot of time to catch up with a 5 month old baby at home. Yes, I traded in my Porsche after my son was born like everyone predicted, but not for a mini-van, rather a 2012 ZR1 because why not have a 638hp daily driver? Wifey is all set and content with the MDX I got us for family duties.

I’m really happy with everything about the ZR1 except for the Bose / Navi radio so now I’m looking for a plug-and-play solution that will do the following:

- Android Auto & Mirror link with my S7 edge phone. Ideally, want to be able to mirror phone apps on screen and control phone from head unit touch screen with my phone tucked away.

-Plug and play with steering wheel control support. As much as I love DIY, my free-time is much more limited now as a new parent so I’d like to get this project done as quickly as possible. Time is my most valuable resource right now, but I can't bring myself to leave my ZR1 unattended with an audio installer

I see a lot of people are installing the Kenwood DDX9903S from DDMods and the pre-wired harness looks like a nice time saver, but I don’t think it will do what I want. In the youtube video I watched, they said mirror link is available with MHL. My S7 edge doesn’t support MHL and I don’t think this would allow for touch control anyhow. I don’t see the S7 edge listed in supported devices on Kenwood’s site either.

I also notice some people are installing the Joying Android head-units. There is a youtube video showing one of these doing mirroring exactly like I want and he is using the same S7 edge I have.

The Joying units appear to check all the right boxes and look really great but I have a few reservations. 1) They have 10 million different units that all say “Latest” on the website and on Amazon. Which one is actually the latest? 2) How is support? The english is very difficult to make out on the website and videos.

Thanks in advance guys. To try and keep this long thread interesting, here are a few pics of my new ride. It feels good to be back in a Corvette. With the Mild to Wild switch, this ZR1 sounds amazing ... until I turn the radio on.

Here is where my new head unit will go. The interior on the 2012 is familiar but feels a lot nicer than my 05 C6 with all the leather and suede.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:37 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Welcome home, nice ride.....
Old 01-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Agree with your comments on the OEM HU. Garbage. Just had the Pioneer 8200 installed in my 2011 ZR1. It will Mirror Link with Android but I'm an Apple guy so don't know the details. Steering wheel controls work with adapter.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm back after a few years. Looking for ideas for my new Corvette.

Quick Reply: I'm back after a few years. Looking for ideas for my new Corvette.