Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DIY: 8" Door Speakers in a C6 Corvette? Easy step-by-step install guide!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 02:15 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vetten76
Ok. I finally got to my install. I went to Barrett Jackson auction in AZ and collapsed with blood clots in my lungs. Gzzzzzz. Damn near bit the big one. Anyway, installed yesterday. Initial impressions are that I'm still not getting the highs I want. I have Infinity tweeters. Maybe I need something more. Basic bass is more with the mids. I do have a 10 inch JBL sub in the back. I run two amps in my system. Total overkill. It's not fair to judge on the 8 inch mids yet. Not broken in. I'll post again in a couple of weeks. I ran into the rubbing problem you mentioned. It was the bolt in the window mount. I shaved it off at the nut. Problem solved. My audio is still a wip! Lol. Fun stuff.
lol

so i want to try something similar. are you ok? damn brutal man. so not getting the highs you want, maybe change the 3.5" speaker out? I did the kicker and put bass blockers in it, WAS A MUST!!!. i have highs mids and lows, although im tempted to do a 10" woofer in the door. ill comment once my 8" speakers are more broken in but they sound great, finally happy and can accept it. can you show you me what you did with the bolt in the window mount? what a pain! you use a cutoff wheel? or a dremel?
Old 02-05-2017, 02:18 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

I agree. I ran new larger speaker wire too. Easy to run it through the door.
you have any pictures of the speaker wire you ran through the door to the amp? How do you access that door gromet? I'd like to do the same and run a separate amp for those two door speakers, instead of the Kendwood HU.

Here are the 10" speakers i was thinking of. http://www.ebay.com/itm/262051608240...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

3.1" deep, would likely fit with some .75" plywood spacing!
Old 02-05-2017, 02:37 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ClashBandicoot
you have any pictures of the speaker wire you ran through the door to the amp? How do you access that door gromet? I'd like to do the same and run a separate amp for those two door speakers, instead of the Kendwood HU.

Here are the 10" speakers i was thinking of. http://www.ebay.com/itm/262051608240...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

3.1" deep, would likely fit with some .75" plywood spacing!
I didn't take pictures. For the speaker wire, I popped the rubber sleeve in the door to the body then fed the wire through then put the sleeve back. Easy to get too inside the door. I had two kenwood amps that survived my son totaling a car I gave him. I had to use them! I mounted both in back of my seats. I've had no tempature problems. One 4 channel and one single channel. I did my install when my car was a week old. I striped the entire interior out and covered with sound deadiner and heat shield. My doors are completely covered in the material too. Again, overkill. I won't spend all the time and effort again. All the wires were easy to run between the amps and head unit with everything out. I want a C8 next. What ever it comes with I'll leave alone. I'm 60. Been doing audio in every car I've owned since I was 16. My sons love getting my cars and trucks because the audio is always over the top! Lol... I can post pics of my completed system if you want. Just let me know.
The following users liked this post:
ClashBandicoot (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 04:30 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

I didn't take pictures. For the speaker wire, I popped the rubber sleeve in the door to the body then fed the wire through then put the sleeve back. Easy to get too inside the door. I had two kenwood amps that survived my son totaling a car I gave him. I had to use them! I mounted both in back of my seats. I've had no tempature problems. One 4 channel and one single channel. I did my install when my car was a week old. I striped the entire interior out and covered with sound deadiner and heat shield. My doors are completely covered in the material too. Again, overkill. I won't spend all the time and effort again. All the wires were easy to run between the amps and head unit with everything out. I want a C8 next. What ever it comes with I'll leave alone. I'm 60. Been doing audio in every car I've owned since I was 16. My sons love getting my cars and trucks because the audio is always over the top! Lol... I can post pics of my completed system if you want. Just let me know.
Wow that sounds intense! way to go! you are an OG when it comes to this stuff. I'm going to try to run the wires to the front speakers myself, we'll see how it goes. Car must sound badass to take apart the entire car and cover it with sound deadner material! nice work. WOuld love to see pics. I have a JL Stealth Sub box in the with a Kicker Comp 10" sub, i love it! i have two amps behind the passenger seat.

So once you popped off that rubber gromet between the door, where did you feed the wire from? Can you easily access it? Do i need to take apart the dash to get to it? I wish someone had pics or a DIY
Old 02-05-2017, 05:22 PM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Ok. I finally got to my install. I went to Barrett Jackson auction in AZ and collapsed with blood clots in my lungs. Gzzzzzz. Damn near bit the big one. Anyway, installed yesterday. Initial impressions are that I'm still not getting the highs I want. I have Infinity tweeters. Maybe I need something more. Basic bass is more with the mids. I do have a 10 inch JBL sub in the back. I run two amps in my system. Total overkill. It's not fair to judge on the 8 inch mids yet. Not broken in. I'll post again in a couple of weeks. I ran into the rubbing problem you mentioned. It was the bolt in the window mount. I shaved it off at the nut. Problem solved. My audio is still a wip! Lol. Fun stuff.
Where are your tweeters mounted?
ClashBandicoot (02-06-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 05:28 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by Curt D
Where are your tweeters mounted?
Tweeters are mounted up high where the stock ones were. I made MDF mounts for those too.

Last edited by vetten76; 02-05-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:34 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Wow that sounds intense! way to go! you are an OG when it comes to this stuff. I'm going to try to run the wires to the front speakers myself, we'll see how it goes. Car must sound badass to take apart the entire car and cover it with sound deadner material! nice work. WOuld love to see pics. I have a JL Stealth Sub box in the with a Kicker Comp 10" sub, i love it! i have two amps behind the passenger seat.

So once you popped off that rubber gromet between the door, where did you feed the wire from? Can you easily access it? Do i need to take apart the dash to get to it? I wish someone had pics or a DIY
Oh god no you don't have to take apart the dash. Just take off all the door sill plastics including the plastic next to where your foot rests. Poke the wire through and you can grab it in the footwell. Easy.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:34 AM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Oh god no you don't have to take apart the dash. Just take off all the door sill plastics including the plastic next to where your foot rests. Poke the wire through and you can grab it in the footwell. Easy.
wow thats awesome thanks for the heads up!!!
Old 02-06-2017, 08:50 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Tweeters are mounted up high where the stock ones were. I made MDF mounts for those too.
You may want to think about glassing them in the pillars. Prop up some tweets near the pillars and see if that's what you are looking for.
Is it not enough highs or highs not in the right place?
Old 02-06-2017, 11:49 AM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by Curt D
You may want to think about glassing them in the pillars. Prop up some tweets near the pillars and see if that's what you are looking for.
Is it not enough highs or highs not in the right place?
I've seen that done, but I'm not willing to do that much work. If anything, I'll try a different type of tweeter. Just not enough highs. My F150 truck was a sales tool for a friend who's boss tried to start an audio business. They wanted my help. I had aluminum tweeters in that. They were incredible. Over the top, but really worked. Lol. That guy's friend started Boss Audio at a swap meet. He figured he'd do the same. Not. The stuff was junk. O2 Car Audio was the name. My youngest son has that truck now. 28 speakers including 4 tweeters. Down to 2 amps. Had 4 but they kept failing. I wish my C6 sounded as good.

Last edited by vetten76; 02-06-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:50 AM
vetten76
Drifting

lol

so i want to try something similar. are you ok? damn brutal man. so not getting the highs you want, maybe change the 3.5" speaker out? I did the kicker and put bass blockers in it, WAS A MUST!!!. i have highs mids and lows, although im tempted to do a 10" woofer in the door. ill comment once my 8" speakers are more broken in but they sound great, finally happy and can accept it. can you show you me what you did with the bolt in the window mount? what a pain! you use a cutoff wheel? or a dremel?
On cutting off that bolt, I used my Harbor Freight electric cut off wheel. It cut right through it. No problem. I cut it flush with the nut. Very simple fix.
ClashBandicoot (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 01:59 AM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

On cutting off that bolt, I used my Harbor Freight electric cut off wheel. It cut right through it. No problem. I cut it flush with the nut. Very simple fix.
perfect. now to find out how to get the amp wired up!! running wires to the doors will not be fun
Old 02-16-2017, 02:57 AM
vetten76
Drifting

perfect. now to find out how to get the amp wired up!! running wires to the doors will not be fun
Oh cut it out. Running the wires to the door is nothing. Cake!
Old 03-06-2017, 09:19 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So..these are basically stock replacements?
ClashBandicoot (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 07:02 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Originally Posted by jbomx363
So..these are basically stock replacements?
yeah and they sound a hell of alot better. Long as you shave off the window actuator screw or push them out .5" like i did.
jbomx363 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 12:13 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So.. just installed these... with the stock head unit... and basically.. they sound like chit.

I already had punch 132's in the upper doors.

At least the rattle is gone of the blown oem speaker. Would of been better off just replacing with oem.

Guess I'll change head unit and see if anything improves. If not, time for amp to drive the fronts and see if that does it.

Bummer.
ClashBandicoot (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 03:26 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

So.. just installed these... with the stock head unit... and basically.. they sound like chit.

At least the rattle is gone of the blown oem speaker. Would of been better off just replacing with oem.

Guess I'll change head unit and see if anything improves. If not, time for amp to drive the fronts and see if that does it.

Bummer.

Change it all and get good amps.
ClashBandicoot (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 04:03 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Bummer.
You would be better off installing an aftermarket headunit, you can't push crazy bass to these speakers, have to install bass blockers ($5) to eliminate sounds below 100hz or whatever if you dont have a head unit. if not get an amp and power them, they will handle quite a bit!

Quick Reply: DIY: 8" Door Speakers in a C6 Corvette? Easy step-by-step install guide!