Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

DIY: 8" Door Speakers in a C6 Corvette? Easy step-by-step install guide!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 03:07 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY: 8" Door Speakers in a C6 Corvette? Easy step-by-step install guide!

Hey Everyone,

So, as like you all most likely did, i went the 6.5" speaker route to replace the factory 10" speaker...but was left at a loss as there WAS NO BASS from the 6.5" speaker, a significant downgrade if you ask me. I have a 10" sub in the trunk, so i've got the low's covered, but need some mid-bass up front. It didn't take me long until i began scheming of different ways to fit 8" speakers in the doors to recoup some of that mid-bass i lost by moving to a 6.5" speaker. I set out to find some decent mid-bass speakers (link below), as these were more robust (6 pounds each) and made some low end thump in the cabin! The system was not balanced with just 3.5" speakers in the doors and the 5.25" (rear). The original intention of Chevy was for the 10" to act as subwoofers or mid-bass, take them out and you have a big gap in the system. Now the 8" speakers solve this problem!! It was pretty easy, as i used one of the Double D templates and took my router tool and cutout an opening for the 8" speaker and bolted it down, yes nuts and bolts so it wouldn't budge. I have a video where i detailed it out for everyone, so i hope this helps!! I also included the install video once your speaker templates are done and ready for use in your Corvette.

Like comment subscribe! Thanks guys!

FYI, somethng i found out today...You need to bump out the mounting plates by 1/2" so they don't hit the window when it goes up and down. something i obviously overlooked, sorry for not including that. I cut a 1/2" piece of plywood and put it underneath the template that drills into the door, problem solved!!

Last edited by ClashBandicoot; 01-15-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:07 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

install video once speakers are ready for use in the Corvette
Old 01-14-2017, 11:27 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Like you, I'm disappointed in the general sound of my audio. I have 6.5 separates in my doors. It just lacks depth. Car audio is such a crap shoot. I've had super low dollar systems sound twice as good as high dollar systems. My 13 GS is high dollar. I never considered 8 inch speakers. Is the difference really noticeable? I'm intrigued. Lol. You believe the difference is worth a try?

Originally Posted by ClashBandicoot
Hey Everyone,

So, as like you all most likely did, i went the 6.5" speaker route to replace the factory 10" speaker...but was left at a loss as there WAS NO BASS from the 6.5" speaker, a significant downgrade if you ask me. I have a 10" sub in the trunk, so i've got the low's covered, but need some mid-bass up front. It didn't take me long until i began scheming of different ways to fit 8" speakers in the doors to recoup some of that mid-bass i lost by moving to a 6.5" speaker. I set out to find some decent mid-bass speakers (link below), as these were more robust (6 pounds each) and made some low end thump in the cabin! The system was not balanced with just 3.5" speakers in the doors and the 5.25" (rear). The original intention of Chevy was for the 10" to act as subwoofers or mid-bass, take them out and you have a big gap in the system. Now the 8" speakers solve this problem!! It was pretty easy, as i used one of the Double D templates and took my router tool and cutout an opening for the 8" speaker and bolted it down, yes nuts and bolts so it wouldn't budge. I have a video where i detailed it out for everyone, so i hope this helps!! I also included the install video once your speaker templates are done and ready for use in your Corvette.

Like comment subscribe! Thanks guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWKbppg4H8Y
The following users liked this post:
ClashBandicoot (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 03:54 PM
vetten76
Drifting

I bought a pair of those speakers, same as you. I'm courious to see what they do? I have quality JL Audio 6.5's in the door, so we'll see if bigger is better. $70 is worth a try just to see... they guarantee you'll like them or your money back. Lol.

Originally Posted by vetten76
Like you, I'm disappointed in the general sound of my audio. I have 6.5 separates in my doors. It just lacks depth. Car audio is such a crap shoot. I've had super low dollar systems sound twice as good as high dollar systems. My 13 GS is high dollar. I never considered 8 inch speakers. Is the difference really noticeable? I'm intrigued. Lol. You believe the difference is worth a try?

Last edited by vetten76; 01-15-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:37 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Thanks for subscribing!! I must admit, it is quite a difference. I had to use bass-blockers on my 3.5" door speakers, as those were distorting at higher volumes, but the system is finally to my liking! You won't be disappointed.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:39 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

I bought a pair of those speakers, same as you. I'm courious to see what they do? I have quality JL Audio 6.5's in the door, so we'll see if bigger is better. $70 is worth a try just to see... they guarantee you'll like them or your money back. Lol.
FYI, somethng i found out today...You need to bump out the mounting plates by 1/2" so they don't hit the window when it goes up and down. something i obviously overlooked, sorry for not including that. I cut a 1/2" piece of plywood and put it underneath the template that drills into the door, problem solved!!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:31 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Thanks. Expierience has taught me to always check the window. Actually, I always do my installs with the window down.

My plan is to leave the crossovers in place for the tweeters. The crossover has adjustments so if the bass is too much for the 8 inch speakers, I can change the signal. I've never used 8 inch speakers. Something new! Thanks to you! Lol....

Last edited by vetten76; 01-15-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:40 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Thanks. Expierience has taught me to always check the window. Actually, I always do my installs with the window down.

My plan is to leave the crossovers in place for the tweeters. The crossover has adjustments so if the bass is too much for the 8 inch speakers, I can change the signal. I've never used 8 inch speakers. Something new! Thanks to you! Lol....
I like the way you think! The head unit i have only adjusts the Front speakers so the crossover applies to both speakers 3.5" and the 8" speakers so i need to use the bass blockers to avoid that. The 8" speakers work! I'm going to try to jam 10" mid-range speakers in the doors. stay tuned
Old 01-15-2017, 09:42 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Cut it out! I haven't even received the 8 inch yet!

I like the way you think! The head unit i have only adjusts the Front speakers so the crossover applies to both speakers 3.5" and the 8" speakers so i need to use the bass blockers to avoid that. The 8" speakers work! I'm going to try to jam 10" mid-range speakers in the doors. stay tuned
Old 01-17-2017, 12:12 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Cut it out! I haven't even received the 8 inch yet!
let me know once you get the speaker! I'm doing some testing now that mine are broken in and i have the bass blockers installed in the 3.5" speakers
Old 01-17-2017, 01:25 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

install video once speakers are ready for use in the Corvette https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFfMBRXGxmg

what 8" speakers are those? And have a link to purchase them? You think they'd be good with stock amp and a kenwood ddx9903s HU?
ClashBandicoot (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 03:09 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmoney127
what 8" speakers are those? And have a link to purchase them? You think they'd be good with stock amp and a kenwood ddx9903s HU?
yeah i think they should be good with the stock amp and a upgraded head unit, they aren't more powerful than the bose speakers. I dont need an amp im just running them off the head unit

https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-Mid.../dp/B00LP4SNN6
Old 01-21-2017, 02:05 PM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Dynaudio 362 3-ways with 8" in the doors. Still some door work and a speaker surround to be made.
Attached Images  
ClashBandicoot (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 03:10 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Curt D
Dynaudio 362 3-ways with 8" in the doors. Still some door work and a speaker surround to be made.
nice! that's the real deal right there!!
Old 01-24-2017, 09:47 AM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I took the 8" Bose out and replaced them with Alpine 6x9's.
ClashBandicoot (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 10:13 AM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Originally Posted by 89Roadster
I took the 8" Bose out and replaced them with Alpine 6x9's.
really? how does it sound? Ill post a pic of my final setup, getting back in the car soon.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:48 AM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

really? how does it sound? Ill post a pic of my final setup, getting back in the car soon.
A lot better than the Bose setup but I rewired everything and put new amps and HU in also.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY: 8" Door Speakers in a C6 Corvette? Easy step-by-step install guide!

Old 02-05-2017, 01:32 PM
vetten76
Drifting

let me know once you get the speaker! I'm doing some testing now that mine are broken in and i have the bass blockers installed in the 3.5" speakers
Ok. I finally got to my install. I went to Barrett Jackson auction in AZ and collapsed with blood clots in my lungs. Gzzzzzz. Damn near bit the big one. Anyway, installed yesterday. Initial impressions are that I'm still not getting the highs I want. I have Infinity tweeters. Maybe I need something more. Basic bass is more with the mids. I do have a 10 inch JBL sub in the back. I run two amps in my system. Total overkill. It's not fair to judge on the 8 inch mids yet. Not broken in. I'll post again in a couple of weeks. I ran into the rubbing problem you mentioned. It was the bolt in the window mount. I shaved it off at the nut. Problem solved. My audio is still a wip! Lol. Fun stuff.
ClashBandicoot (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 01:34 PM
vetten76
Drifting

A lot better than the Bose setup but I rewired everything and put new amps and HU in also.
I agree. I ran new larger speaker wire too. Easy to run it through the door.
ClashBandicoot (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 02:02 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

ooh im excited. please show pics!! how did you run the wires? where are the bose amps? Where did you store your amps?

Quick Reply: DIY: 8" Door Speakers in a C6 Corvette? Easy step-by-step install guide!