Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

05 Corvette C6 adding Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Quiznovette1
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 05 Corvette C6 adding Navigation

I have an 2005 C6 and would like to add Factory Navigation to it, The vehicle has the 1sb option and also the us9 stereo option with bose speakers. From what I have read it should already be wired so I can add a navigation unit and also the gps antenna, My question is, am I able to install a unit from a 2011-2013 into it with the usb connection and better display or will I have to stay with a unit from 2005 thru maybe 2009 or 2010,

Thank You
Old 02-09-2017, 09:07 AM
kupitz
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have just done the same, went with a 2009 NAV unit though. But from what I understand ALL C6 NAV units will work, you just might lose the functionality. I am still struggling with removing the Theft Lock from mine after the install, many instructions telling me how to do it with the Tech 2 and even someone said it can be disabled in Accesory mode before hand but I have had no luck. Looks like a $100 trip to the stealer to get it done....
The following users liked this post:
Quiznovette1 (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Quiznovette1
Heel & Toe

Default Adding Navigation

Thanks for the reply, I did a little more research and it looks like you can get just about any combination wiring harness to make it work through kawal.net corvette mods, Absolutely a great website with step by step instructions,
Old 02-10-2017, 11:04 AM
kupitz
Instructor

Called the dealer today and after repeatedly telling me it can't be done without GM's involvement (said they need an RPO code from them for the radio) I again mentioned several members of this forum saying it can be done and I would bring the instructions. They finally agreed to try my instructions but want to be clear it will not work and I will be on my own after that, I obliged....gonna charge me $40 for the 10 minutes of hookup to the car!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Quiznovette1
Heel & Toe

Default Theft Lock Code

Please let me know how you make out, I still have to install mine ,Just waiting for some warmer temps , but where I work I have access to a tech II scanner and was planning on following the procedure I also found on this forum, If you lived closer I could help you with the scanner but I live in upstate ny and it's going to be a little while before we see any corvette's on the road.
kupitz (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:10 PM
kupitz
Instructor

I have a scanner too, but unfortunately it only covers partial 2007 models, Y body wasn't an option under 2007.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:41 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Anyone with an up to date Tech2 and CANDi module can do the VIN relearn. Just did one for a guy that had a base radio swapped to a a base with the aux input jack.

Takes about 10 min. The car needs to be in the Acc mode to step through the process.

Again this requires a Tech2 with CANDi module. Any of the Chinese clones or a genuine GM will work so long as the Tech2 has the software version that supports your model year. Most all the clones come with a software version that will support up through 2013.

Gary
Quiznovette1 (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 07:15 PM
kupitz
Instructor

Update, I was actually able to use the scanner I had, went to 2005 model and was able to clear the VIN using the 2005 Corvette even though mine is a 2007. Problem solved and the Stealer doesn't get my money!
Old 02-14-2017, 04:05 PM
Quiznovette1
Heel & Toe

Default Navigation unit

Thanks for the update, That's good to know as far as trying another year in case it doesn't work at first. I hope to start pulling my console and checking the wiring this weekend, it's suppose to be near fifty degrees over the weekend and right now that will feel good.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:51 AM
silverbullit99
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For all you guys that have these Navigation units... do they require CDs to keep the routes up to date ? I was considering changing my base unit with a Nav deck/Radio unit. Looking at what would be involved..
Old 07-27-2017, 09:26 AM
kupitz
Instructor

Originally Posted by silverbullit99
For all you guys that have these Navigation units... do they require CDs to keep the routes up to date ? I was considering changing my base unit with a Nav deck/Radio unit. Looking at what would be involved..
They require the DVD to be inserted to work. There are several versions of the DVD and the last one was made around 2012 I believe. GM is not providing newer versions past that point so it's only as up to date as the version software you have.

If interested I have a Nav unit for sale along with the GPS antenna you would need to upgrade, PM me for details.

Get notified of new replies

To 05 Corvette C6 adding Navigation

Quick Reply: 05 Corvette C6 adding Navigation