Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 rear speakers, 6.5" kicker subs???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 03:53 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts
Default C5 rear speakers, 6.5" kicker subs???

First off, car is an 01 coupe. The fronts are Q-series 6.5" components, with 1.5" tweeters in the doors, and the amp is an MB-Quart ZA2-1000.4, which will give me 125 watts RMS to each channel, at 4 ohms. The doors are reinforced, dynamat covered, closed off, and covered over that with ensolite.

I like the components. I did not spring for anything cheap here, and it sounds great...just not loud enough with the targa top off, goin freeway speeds :/ I don't have ears in my knees damn it! The main problem is bass. My components do well here, but if I decrease the LPF to 100hz or lower, now my max volume suffers.

I have a set of these Kicker 10CVT654 6.5" shallow mount subs from another project, and I was wondering what the mounting depth is in the rear 6.5" speaker cavity in a coupe (I left the stockers in there unhooked from my previous install for the sake of staging). The Kicker subs are a little less than 3" deep, and sound good in 0.20 cubic foot enclosures I had them in before.

Would I need a spacer to fit these in the stock location?

They are open air capable, but how hard is it to make the enclosure, truly enclosed?

Can I enclose it using dynamat?

Suggestions?????

Opinions on subs going in this location?

If I get some good mid range bass from these, I can turn down my bass gain at my components, and really turn the volume up!

Stereo gurus please help!
Attached Images   

Last edited by ErikwithAK01; 02-15-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:38 AM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Those are probably too deep and the location is open air. I think that the drivers side has an available depth of like 2". Passenger a bit more.

Gary
Old 02-16-2017, 06:17 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts

Damn! Shallow huh. I might mount them in the small side compartments in the back then, firing up. I never use them, and it would not be hard to make a small sealed box attached to the back side of the lid. I only need 0.2 cubic feet lol. They are also free air subs, but they will sound better in a small box.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 rear speakers, 6.5" kicker subs???

Quick Reply: C5 rear speakers, 6.5" kicker subs???