Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Speaker Upgrade (without amp) Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 05:32 PM
Req
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Speaker Upgrade (without amp) Concerns

Hi All -

I'm looking to do a slight audio upgrade in replacing the speakers only at this time. Down the road, I will replace the HU and add amps. My concern is I'd like to put in a speaker set that sounds good with the stock HU with no amp, but will also be a bit future-proofed and sound good when I upgrade the HU, amps, etc.

Any thoughts on the below and/or additional suggestions for the front 3.5" speakers (haven't thought of the front 8" or rear 6.5", but figured it'd be best to match the front in terms of vendor)? Also seems like I can replace the rears with no problems, but may be required to replace the amp/HU for a front speaker overhaul based on what I've read thus far . . . thoughts?

- Kicker 41KSC354
- JL Audio C2-350x
- Infinity Reference REF-3022cfx
- Rockford Fosgate Punch P132

Thank you very much for you input!

Last edited by Req; 02-22-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:48 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

I'd say skip the speaker-only step and just wait until you can do full amp/speakers (with or without HU). If you do upgrade now, just get sub-$50 3.5's for the front.

The best way to go with an aftermarket amp is 6.5" components in the doors and a sub in the back, so the new 3.5's won't be needed when you 'do it right'.

If you want to amp the rears later, you can get those now. If you plan on powering them with stock amp or new HU, just leave them stock.

Also, year and model of car would be nice
The following users liked this post:
Req (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 AM
Req
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Mark - that is a great idea on the 3.5's, until I do the overhaul.

I have a '04 C5 coupe also. Duh! Thank you!

Get notified of new replies

To Speaker Upgrade (without amp) Concerns

Quick Reply: Speaker Upgrade (without amp) Concerns