Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

05 vert sound system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:22 PM
tr0569
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 vert sound system upgrade

OK I'm sure I will be told this has been asked a million times but I'm going to try anyway. I decided to upgrade my head unit for multiple reasons and went with the Pioneer SPH-DA120 (looks great). When installing I decided I want to do a full upgrade. I am looking at the JL Audio Stealthboxes for behind the seats so that means eliminating the rear speakers which most agree isn't a big deal. It also means adding an amp so I'm looking for recommendations there. I will be disconnecting the dash speaker. For the doors, are most replacing the 2 speakers with woofers and tweeters and if so which ones? Or should I look at just a 6.5" 2-ways? Again, recommendations? I also believe I will be adding an amp for these speakers as well. Keep it simple because I'm not a huge audiophile but I do want something that sounds good for a reasonable price.

If someone has a list of what they purchased for a similar project that would be welcomed as well!
Old 02-27-2017, 11:25 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

call me
I cna get you everything you need and answer all your questions.

608 854 2033
Old 02-28-2017, 05:12 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I took the 8's out of the door and put Alpine 6x9's in there, replaced the 3.5's with JBL's and the 6.5's in the divider with Infiniti Kappas. Pioneer 4100nex head unit and 3 amplifiers, 1 behind the passenger seat, 2 in the trunk. 2 10" sub boxes in the trunk for now. All new 16 gauge wiring to all speakers and a Pioneer backup camera.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:54 PM
bonzo
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Just a quick heads up. I upgraded a few years back. Pioneer double din hertz speakers in the doors. No rear speakers an d here is the important part. I had the amp mounted in one of the compartments in the trunk ( it's a vert) and I have a jbl sub in another compartment. Anyway the wife and I go on a trip about 2 weeks after the install and the radio would keep dying. After a few hours with the car off it would come right back on. Then cut out a few hours later. We were going from FL to bowling green. Anyway. Seems the compartment was too hot for the amp. It was overheating and shutting itself off. Instead of moving the amp the installer added a relay fan and I haven't had a problem since. Just my experience.

Get notified of new replies

To 05 vert sound system upgrade

Quick Reply: 05 vert sound system upgrade