Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C6 Corvette - audio issue, battery keeps draining

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 01:47 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,347 Likes on 481 Posts

Default C6 Corvette - audio issue, battery keeps draining

Hello,

About 5 months ago in my 2005 C6 I installed an android head unit:

Amazon Amazon

I wired it up with a PAC RP3-GM11
Amazon Amazon

( I should note that my battery is only 2 months old. )

Everything seemed fine except I could hear a slight hissing from the speakers when the car was turned off. Not all the time though, only occasionally. For the first few months this did not seem to impact my battery.

In Feb I went on a 2 week vacation and didn't drive the car. When I came back the car started up just fine. I just tested it to see if it would start. I didn't drive anywhere. However, 2 days later I go to start the car and the battery is dead. like 0 volts available dead. Had to scramble through the hatch to pull the emergency door locks.

Charged the battery up and had no issues for a couple of weeks. Car sits on the weekends and starts fine every Monday.

Until today. again I come out and the battery is totally dead. I think it must have something to do with power being run to the factory (non BOSE car) amplifier.

So how do I troubleshoot something like this? I do not even know where to begin. How do I determine what is drawing the battery down while the car is sitting in my garage? I would love to fix this once and for all.

Thank you,
CF
Old 03-07-2017, 06:16 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by CitznFish
Hello,

About 5 months ago in my 2005 C6 I installed an android head unit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wired it up with a PAC RP3-GM11
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

( I should note that my battery is only 2 months old. )

Everything seemed fine except I could hear a slight hissing from the speakers when the car was turned off. Not all the time though, only occasionally. For the first few months this did not seem to impact my battery.

In Feb I went on a 2 week vacation and didn't drive the car. When I came back the car started up just fine. I just tested it to see if it would start. I didn't drive anywhere. However, 2 days later I go to start the car and the battery is dead. like 0 volts available dead. Had to scramble through the hatch to pull the emergency door locks.

Charged the battery up and had no issues for a couple of weeks. Car sits on the weekends and starts fine every Monday.

Until today. again I come out and the battery is totally dead. I think it must have something to do with power being run to the factory (non BOSE car) amplifier.

So how do I troubleshoot something like this? I do not even know where to begin. How do I determine what is drawing the battery down while the car is sitting in my garage? I would love to fix this once and for all.

Thank you,
CF

You should check for a draw. use a multimeter in the amp scale. connected so the car is drawing power through the meter. make sure all latches are closed. it should be asleep in 20 min.My car would not go to sleep with a pac installed. I tried 2 different pacs and got fed up and went back to stock. the pac was causing a 40 milliamp draw with higher spikes. My stock draw is 18 milliamp and it is rock solid when everything goes to sleep.

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette - audio issue, battery keeps draining