Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

VetteNuts Insulation Kit Results: AMAZING!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:02 PM
Req
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default VetteNuts Insulation Kit Results: AMAZING!

Just finished pulling the C5 Coupe apart, installing the insulation kit from VetteNuts, and reassemble everything. I've ready many, many reviews on the impact of this project, but couldn't believe the outcome is so outstanding!

Before the dampening kit was in place, I had to speak louder than normal to have a conversation. After finishing the doors this morning, I couldn't wait to test out the differences. First impression before starting the engine was that the doors and entire body sounded more solid. I also got this impression while driving. On the interstate this morning going 80mph, the passenger and I easily heard one another while whispering! Absolutely night and day difference! It's still pretty cool in Middle TN, so haven't got a a chance to test the heat dampening aspect, but will comment during our 100°+ temps come in August.

To be fair, I did a bit more than just the insulation kit. First, I completely adjusted the windows forwards, backwards, height and tilt to reduce any wind noise. I finally got it dialed down to one tiny wind-whisper that shows up around 80mph. Then I put Noico 80mil sound deadening material (similar to brand names) in key areas of the frame and doors. Then I installed the VetteNuts basic insulation kit + a layer of reflectix (from Lowes) since I was working with a specific budget. Otherwise, I would've gone with the premium insulation kit since the ensolite is already backed on the kit. Putting everything back was pretty tight, especially the rear speaker panels. I omitted the second layer of reflectix for the kick panels and the two side cubbies.

This is an investment that will last the life of the car, and well worth the 2.5 days it took (I took my time to get as close to perfection as possible). Considering the C5 only has 18k miles, this 'mod' will be enjoyed for decades to come! I have on order VetteNuts partition and can't wait to put that in place when it's ready (custom build to order) as that will help reduce unwanted noise + other benefits, like having a shelf at my disposal. I love the sound of the Vette engine and happy that the kit killed just the unwanted road and tire noise, not the sounds of a sports car . . . as it should be!

I cannot say enough about how professional, responsive and just an awesome bunch the gents are at VetteNuts! Marc and Josh were patient with my questions, and even guided me through some of the panel removal process via the phone (Josh - a round of brews on me!). I never took a car apart like this before, but felt very confident in doing so thanks to these C5 experts! Considering this was my dad's dream car when he was a kid, bought it after he retired and then handed it down to me just last fall, I really appreciate all the help and guidance from Josh and Marc (OK, make that two rounds!). Even if they weren't 15 minutes away, these guys would absolutely be my go-to shop! Now, time for a wash and wax . . . tomorrow!!

I'll post pics shortly, and feel free to ping me if you have questions about tackling this project! If you have even considered it, then DO IT! This is the best mod you could possibly do that you will enjoy from the moment you close the door!

Last edited by Req; 03-22-2017 at 07:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rob 02 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Req
Heel & Toe

Pics . . . for the doors, I used upholstery adhesive + gorilla tape.

joezr2 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 05:42 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

It looks good. I am getting ready to do this soon.

How big of a difference did changing the speakers make?

Last edited by Rob 02; 03-23-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Req (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 08:44 AM
Req
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Rob 02
How big of a difference did changing the speakers make?
Much louder and mids pop-out more. I did replace the stock 3.5's with Pioneers, so that brightened up the highs and enhanced the clarity. The overall sound quality is enough of a difference with the speaker upgrade and insulation kit that I've decided to put the double-din system upgrade on the back burner and take care of a few other things first.

I already have iPhone connectivity via FM transmitter (#18 at https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html)
Rob 02 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I started a DIY interior thread in the C5 general section. Feel free to post.
I have to tear my interior down like you did. I'm re-covering my seats and doing some other leather work.

I ordered some Polk speakers and am waiting for a DD bezel from Double D Mods. It seems like a big project.
Req (03-23-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 11:20 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Good work. I just completed a similar project on my C5. It made all the difference in dampening in general, and eliminating all exhaust and road noise from the rear of the car. It is a project well worth doing.
Req (04-08-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To VetteNuts Insulation Kit Results: AMAZING!

Quick Reply: VetteNuts Insulation Kit Results: AMAZING!