Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paging Dokken or 92 TripleBlack

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 10:47 AM
my ride
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging Dokken or 92 TripleBlack

:confused: I'm installing a new Alpine HU and I can't find a way to connect the illumination lead on the Alpine 7894 to a lead on the 92 Vette. The factory harness does not have a wire for illumination or dimming (it only has 4 wires on the power connector and the dimmer or dash lighting aren't there). How should I connect for lighting the HU? I've already lost a pound of skin replacing the Bose "POS". Thanks!
Old 12-19-2002, 12:50 AM
Dokken
Advanced

Default Re: Paging Dokken or 92 TripleBlack (my ride)

Sorry for the delay, I've been having hard drive problems (read I smashed my old one against the wall). I know the METRA harness adapter I used on my 90 has the illumination lead which was explained to me at Circuit City.

Unfortunately, the installer (read..he knows best) said not to use the dimmer lead due to the uncertainty of where the stock lead was and the color of it. I was able to locate a diagram from an old link so keep searching the web for tuner box schematic, I opted not to use the dimmer feature..sorry.

Otherwise I found the 7894 to be bright at first but then growing to like the amount of light. Besides, I constantly seem to screw the dimmer slider down when I turn off my lights. It may be more of a hassle to turn it back up all the time if it were too low. :cheers:
Old 12-19-2002, 03:02 PM
my ride
Advanced

Default Re: Paging Dokken or 92 TripleBlack (my ride)

Dokken,

Thanks for the reply. I choose not to wire the dimmer switch either. I took your earlier advice and went with a complete Alpine system- SPR-694A (rear), SPR-134A (front) and 7894 HU sounds great! The one thing I did differently was to build a metal box (26 gauge) exactly like the Bose control unit with an open rear. I made metal tabs so that the box mounted into the vette just like the original Bose control unit. I also centered the Alpine HU in the middle of the box, I made panels for the space above and below the head unit and sprayed it flat black. It was a lot of work but it made mounting a breeze. Thanks! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Paging Dokken or 92 TripleBlack

Quick Reply: Paging Dokken or 92 TripleBlack