Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C4 component tweeter placement

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 10:07 AM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C4 component tweeter placement

I'm replacing the front speakers in my C4 with a set of MB Quart components, thye mids will be mounted in the door, is it ok to mount the tweeter facing upwards under the dash grills and bounce the sound of the windshield or would there be a better place to locate them?
Old 12-19-2002, 11:03 AM
Charlutz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: C4 component tweeter placement (shotchkiss)

I know others have put them in the dash grilles. Mine are mounted on the lowest screw of the windshield pillars and sound just fine. I've also seen pictures of them (in Kale's car I think) stuck to the underside of the dashboard cover, but if your car is an earlier C4 like mine, that won't work unless you've replaced the breadbox with the flat panel kit.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:15 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Default Re: C4 component tweeter placement (Charlutz)

I'm kale

Generally you want your tweeter within 6" of your midrange. Especially with overbright components like MBQuartz.

I had my Focal's tweeters mounted under the dash pad. Unfortunately, this caused a lot of "weirdness" with things ~3000hz. Male voices sounded disconnected, almost like a reverb. Hard to say exactly. Just not quite real.

I moved them down to the door panels, and they are within .5" of the mids now. It improved sound quality and transparancy by a huge margin.

unfortunately, my left knee covers the left tweeter, and unless I drive with my knee under the steering wheel, i lose detail in the music. It's all about the trade-offs...

Best thing to do is mount the mids like yuo want them, and put some stickytape on the tweeters.. expirament till yuo find smoething yuo like.

BTW. You should use the solid top, your tweeters will kill your ears iff they bounce off the glass roof.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:49 PM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Default Re: C4 component tweeter placement (Nevermind)

So I'd be better off mounting the tweeters in the door with the mids then? If so, what is the advantage of components?
Old 12-19-2002, 04:58 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Default Re: C4 component tweeter placement (shotchkiss)

the biggest advantage is the quality of components available.
The second big advantage with componetns is you dont have a hole in the middle of the speaker with a tweeter on the end "blocking" the mid.

Some mids DO have an open center with a cone in the middle, but that's something else entirely. ha ha.

Placing the tweeters inthe dash will give yuo incorrect imaging. It would probably sound ok.

ideally you want a clean LOS from the left tweeter to the passenger, and the right tweeter to the driver. This isnt possible in a c4 really. So you have to make do.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 component tweeter placement

Quick Reply: C4 component tweeter placement