Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Help with the hissing noise coming from my Pioneer stereo upgrade

Old 06-29-2003, 11:25 PM
ciscokid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with the hissing noise coming from my Pioneer stereo upgrade

Hey guys,
I am replacing my OEM Bose cassette system with the Pioneer SuperTuner III. I purchased the radio/CD player, Bose converter and the radio harness from Corvette Central. I followed the instructions to the T. I have power, I have lights, I have antenna, I have SOUND!. Along with all the right things I have one wrong thing. A constant hiss whether the radio or CD player is playing. In other words, when I have the volume set as low as it will go (no sound whatsoever) I have a constant hiss. Can anyone shed some light on this matter. Also, when I turn the unit off I get a pop as the amplifier relay disconnects. With the OEM radio I never had these issues.
All input appreciated.
Thanks guys.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Help with the hissing noise coming from my Pioneer stereo upgrade (ciscokid)

I was just at Best Buy today pricing a Pioneer and I was planning on using the Bose interface. the install tech warned me about hissing noises using the interface kit. Now after reading your post.....serious second thoughts. :rolleyes:
Old 07-05-2003, 12:35 PM
HapAFcop
Racer

Default Re: Help with the hissing noise coming from my Pioneer stereo upgrade (ciscokid)

Is the hiss isolated to only one speaker?

I still have the stock bose setup in my car, but I also have the contant hiss even with volume turned all the way down. It comes from my right front bose speaker. When I had my alarm installed, I asked the tech about it and he said it was the speaker amp going bad. :sad:
Old 07-14-2003, 09:46 PM
ciscokid
Instructor

Default Re: Help with the hissing noise coming from my Pioneer stereo upgrade (HapAFcop)

I have the exact same problem. I have news for that tech, if it was the amp then if I install the original stereo back in place it should reproduce the same symtoms. That is exactly what I did. The stereo sounded beautiful again. No, I think it is in the Bose converter. I purchased the entire kit from Corvette Central and I had the kit for a year before I installed it. It has only been recently that I installed it and it was a no go. I called pioneer. I called Schosche and I called Corvette Central. CC was nice enough to ask me to send it all back. I just wanted another converter so I could nail down the problem. They insisted I send it all back for an entire replacement. Now that is what I call customer service. I mean after a year! They are a great store to shop from. Anyway, I am still waiting for the goods to come in. I will let you guys know what happend. Just something you guys might want to keep in mind: putting your Vette together using a multi-vender environment might save you money but the problems that can develop later down the road can be very frustrating. That is why when I did all my internal mods I went with one company: TPIS. To me it does not matter what company I go with just as long as they are reputable and have good quality service but stick with one company if you can. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:52 PM
ciscokid
Instructor

Well guys I am back with the same problem. Corvette Central shipped me an entire new stereo, converter and harness. I installed it again and the exact same issue. I get this hissing sound coming out of all the speakers. The volume control does not lower it or increase it. With the music completely turned down it will hiss. When the music is turned up you don't hear it as much because the music is drowning it out. Also when I turn the system off it causes a poping sound. It sounds like the amp relay is releasing and causing it to echo through my speakers. I know this is not normal.
Can anyone help? I need some real expertise here. Now I know it is in my system or the setup from Corvette Central is not compatible with my system. But the original equipment works and sounds normal.
Does anyone have any solid answers or solutions?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2003, 12:29 AM
ciscokid
Instructor

Hey guys,
I have finally solved the problem. It was the Scosche interface all along. I broke down and took a chance on a Soundgate XR4 interface that cost around $130.00 after California tax. It worked beautiful. Just thought you guys might like to know. I actually ordered the GMB2 but they have discontinued that product and the XR4 is the replacement. I guess you get what you pay for. The Scosche interface actually ran somewhere in the neighborhood of $20.00.
Later guys.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:29 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,667 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Good info.
I'm sure there is a lot of Vette owners with the same hiss problem you had. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Help with the hissing noise coming from my Pioneer stereo upgrade

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with the hissing noise coming from my Pioneer stereo upgrade