Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C4 rear storage compartment sub.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 09:25 PM
ron92Z07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 rear storage compartment sub.....

Ok, I am thinking of installing a 10" sub in the rear storage compartment of my 92 vette and have a couple of questions. First, how should I treat the inside of the compartment? I would like to use the inside as the sub enclosure but figured it would be best to treat the entire compartment with something. Should I just apply fiberglass to the entire compartment and then make a 3/4" MDF mount on top for the sub?
I was looking at a 10" Image Dynamics sub and will be using 2 channels of a US Acoustics USB4065 to power it. I think that gives the sub 160 watts when bridged mono. Is that enough power for this sub? Also, I am pretty new to the new DVC subs. Would I want a dual 4 ohm since I am running 4 ohm mono from the amp? Anywhere I can read about and learn about the DVC type of subs?
Thanks,
Ron
Old 04-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Preacher
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Re: C4 rear storage compartment sub..... (chrisron)

I am running an 8" sub in that compartment and I haven't treated it at all... I should though. The advice I got was to put a good layer of fibreglass on the bottom side of the compartment to strengthen it.

I used 3/4" mdf and foam to seal the compartment and am running it on an US Acoustics 2100. I have the same 4065 you do and am using it to run the 4 new speakers that replaced the bose units.

Kale is the stereo guru here and he told me to get the dual 4 ohm speaker... so I did.

Hope that helps a little.

The speaker grill is now black....
Old 04-08-2004, 10:53 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Ok, I am thinking of installing a 10" sub in the rear storage compartment of my 92 vette and have a couple of questions. First, how should I treat the inside of the compartment? I would like to use the inside as the sub enclosure but figured it would be best to treat the entire compartment with something. Should I just apply fiberglass to the entire compartment and then make a 3/4" MDF mount on top for the sub?
I was looking at a 10" Image Dynamics sub and will be using 2 channels of a US Acoustics USB4065 to power it. I think that gives the sub 160 watts when bridged mono. Is that enough power for this sub? Also, I am pretty new to the new DVC subs. Would I want a dual 4 ohm since I am running 4 ohm mono from the amp? Anywhere I can read about and learn about the DVC type of subs?
Thanks,
Ron
There are a few things you can do to the enclosure... I am going to do this, sometime... argh...

however, I am going to build an insert out of 1/4" MDF and lotsa fibreglass! The idea is for it to be thin and very strong, but not absorb the too much air space. If I remember rightly, the box is about .70^3, so there is more than enough room for a 10" sub.

The next trick is to load the enclosure with "poly fill". It looks much like fuzz from a pillow. A little of that will make the speaker think the box bigger than it really is. You can tune by adding and removing, as needed.

A DVC... it's just that. The voice coil is the main reactant by the speaker to the magnet. When you attach the wires to the speakers, they go to these leads that make their way down inside the primary.

When you have dual voice coils, you have twice the mass working the magnet. It's more efficent and lowers heating of the VC, if I remember correctly. It allows for to smaller coils, versus one real big one.

now I am getting fuzzy... if you have the circuit in series, it will add, meaning the amp will see an 8 ohm load (impedance). If in parallel, it will be a division, meaning the amp will see a 2 ohm load. That will effectivly double the output of the amp. Your 160watt amp now has 320watts! Cool, eh?

I just don't know if that amp is 2 ohm stable... but for some reason, I suspect it is...

Old 04-09-2004, 05:09 PM
your drinking buddy
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I have some pics of mine here
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=626091

BTW, I wouldn't cut holes in the door if I did it again.

[Modified by vettes rule, 5:11 PM 4/9/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To C4 rear storage compartment sub.....

Quick Reply: C4 rear storage compartment sub.....