Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

Coupla' Corvette promo models

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Revoh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coupla' Corvette promo models

Not that it's a big deal to most of the folks here, but I'm bored, so I'm posting a couple old Corvette-related pictures from my collection. Who knows--maybe there's something there that someone hasn't seen. FWIW.

These aren't all Corvettes (obviously), but there are a few in the pace car display.

Last edited by Revoh; 11-17-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Toyvetts
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Promos

Nice Collection! Looks like some of those should be in my cabinet instead!!

Harry
Old 11-18-2010, 10:20 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

They look pretty cool, whats the story on that big scale white 53?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:13 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Default Wow - great collection!

And to think I was beginning to wonder if I had too many "toys"! I'm gonna use you as my excuse with the S.O. when I wanna buy more!

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Revoh
Intermediate

Thanks!

Originally Posted by oldsarge
They look pretty cool, whats the story on that big scale white 53?
Those were sort of a model kit/toy that Ideal made in the '50s. You'd basically just screw it together and start playing. It has a jack, and tools, a sheet of different state license plates, the headlight bulbs come on, etc. You see them around sometimes. My dad actually got that one new, and passed it along to me maybe 25 years ago.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:59 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

Nice collection! I'm a '58 Chevy nut....I see in the second photo a white '58 Impala convt....I have not seen that one before....can you tell me who made it???? Is it a promo or a diecast model? Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Revoh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tractman
Nice collection! I'm a '58 Chevy nut....I see in the second photo a white '58 Impala convt....I have not seen that one before....can you tell me who made it???? Is it a promo or a diecast model? Thanks
That was just an old original annual kit that I found at a swap meet. When I bought it, it was horribly painted and had all the customizing kit stuff still glued on (louvers, fins, bubble skirts, etc). So I stripped it down and painted it. I think it's actually one of the few cases where it actually looks better in person than it does in the pictures.

I also have this one, which doesn't look like much, but it does have a story. 1958 was the first year they produced these types of kits. My dad got this one and painted it this cinnamon color with a brush and added the flame decals. Over the years, it had been in pieces in various boxes and things. When my grandad died in 1980 and they were cleaning out his house, I was interested in all the old models. My dad was getting rid of a lot of them, and he just wanted me to go away. So he gave me this kit so I'd stay busy. So not only was it my dad's first plastic model kit, but it was mine. I've put it together and taken it apart 100 different ways over the years, but it's still one of my favorites.

I have a few '58 Chevy promotional models too, but I don't have any pictures handy.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupla' Corvette promo models

Quick Reply: Coupla' Corvette promo models