Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Classifieds Post your For Sale or Wanted Autocrossing & Roadracing parts here.

WTB: Track Car with Automtic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 01:48 PM
huskerhank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track Car with Automtic Transmission

I am looking for a fairly well set up track car with an automatic transmission. I am only do HPDE's now, but will be racing soon hopefully. I currently have a 03 Z06 that is set up perfectly for me but I have an issue with my left foot so need to switch to automatic. I am looking for safety and suspension over power. That being said, here is my list: coilovers and swaybars, at least a 6 point if not full cage, upgraded brakes, tranny-diff- and oil coolers, and race seats with belts. Would take C5 or 6, although guessing Grand Sport is going to be the front runner. I am really trying to keep the budget under $50k as I will be selling mine and guessing it will be worth around $25K. (only has 27,000 miles) Let me know what you people think.

Thank you for looking and any help.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:25 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Not to be a downer but I wouldn't recommend any automatic transmission for a race car. If you have an issue which prohibits you from driving a manual, I think your best bet is to look into a Porsche with a PDK transmission (paddle shifters).Perhaps you can come across a Cayman with a salvage title or even one of the old ITC cars which Bodymotion built.

I've seen a few people try to race automatics and they never seems to get the transmissions to survive more than a few events due to the heat. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2017, 11:03 PM
FRC Z51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

100% agree with that statement. A PDK or DCT situation would make for a much safer track car.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:18 AM
huskerhank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have thought about that a lot. I actually do a lot of HPDE's with the local PCA group and obviously see quite a few of those. I just love vettes obviously and know how to work on them. Was hoping to stay in the family. I really appreciate the comments.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:42 PM
Jetblackc6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I have ran my grand sport a6 in paddle shift hpde for 2 years without a issue. All that was added was a derale trans cooler and wrapping the exhaust by trans
Old 03-01-2017, 02:04 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
Not to be a downer but I wouldn't recommend any automatic transmission for a race car. If you have an issue which prohibits you from driving a manual, I think your best bet is to look into a Porsche with a PDK transmission (paddle shifters).Perhaps you can come across a Cayman with a salvage title or even one of the old ITC cars which Bodymotion built.

I've seen a few people try to race automatics and they never seems to get the transmissions to survive more than a few events due to the heat. Good luck!

I do tend to generally agree with you, but we have had two customers with auto's put the time into cooling and the transmissions lived for multiple years at a dozen or so track days per year.

OP, why not just have your Z06 swapped to an auto if you are happy with it?
Old 03-01-2017, 10:38 PM
BTTBSS
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Auto Trans

I have no experience with the newer GM automatics but a 4L60E can be made to live in a HPDE environment. Heat and fluid breakdown is what kills them so a large cooler and frequent fluid changes help them last. The torque converter locking and unlocking is what puts heat into the transmission. On the LT-1 cars we ran a switch to the PCM that allowed you to lock the TC once you were moving. With the newer cars you might be able to have your programmer set the TC to lock at a certain MPH and not unlock until the car slowed below the cut off point.

Last edited by BTTBSS; 03-01-2017 at 10:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
huskerhank (03-02-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Cnkcali
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by huskerhank
I am looking for a fairly well set up track car with an automatic transmission. I am only do HPDE's now, but will be racing soon hopefully. I currently have a 03 Z06 that is set up perfectly for me but I have an issue with my left foot so need to switch to automatic. I am looking for safety and suspension over power. That being said, here is my list: coilovers and swaybars, at least a 6 point if not full cage, upgraded brakes, tranny-diff- and oil coolers, and race seats with belts. Would take C5 or 6, although guessing Grand Sport is going to be the front runner. I am really trying to keep the budget under $50k as I will be selling mine and guessing it will be worth around $25K. (only has 27,000 miles) Let me know what you people think.

Thank you for looking and any help.

http://www.racingjunk.com/NASA-Super...=7&from=search

Im selling my z06. It has a sequential transmission. ^ my contact is in the ad if you have any questions or pm me. good luck on your hunt!

Get notified of new replies

To Track Car with Automtic Transmission

Quick Reply: WTB: Track Car with Automtic Transmission