Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Report from Sebring: PBOC/SunShine Bimmers track weekend

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Ag-z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Report from Sebring: PBOC/SunShine Bimmers track weekend

Hey fellow Vette lovers-
I had my first track weekend with the '04 Z06 at Sebring on Sat/Sun with the PBOC (Porsche/BMW Club Racing) and Sunshine Bimmers (BMWCCA).
Hope I don't bore you to tears with my weekend summary - but if you don't like it, you can move on to the next thread with my apologies.

If I had one word to describe the vette on track it would be "Awesome".

Car is totally stock except Motul 600 brake fluid and Cobalt Spec VR pads. Goodyear F1 Supercar tires with approx 4500 miles on them. Mobil1 5/30 (slightly overfilled, just above the upper hold in the dipstick). I haven't run at Sebring since 1998, so it took a run or two to get familiar with it again. I was running in the Solo group with most of the cars in the group running R-comp tires (Hoosier mostly) and other track-day mods.

Day 1: Approx. 50F, dense fog mixed with rain - yuck.

Run 1: All groups cancelled due to corner workers not able to see the previous corner (fog too thick) - bummer. And the rain looks like it is coming soon...

Run 2: on/off rain, with puddles at several corner apexes. I found out 3-4 times just how good the traction control is on the Z06, as it saved my butt from spinning. Track was drying out enough at the end of the run for me to start testing the stock brake pads. Good, but not great, as they started to fade somewhat. Not a bad first time out but tough to get the power down when wet...

Run 3: the rain stopped, and the track started to dry out. Kept traction control on, as there were still some wet areas just off-line and some minor puddling at a few apexes. Swapped stock pads out for Cobalt Spec VR pads front and rear (Thanks Andie Lin at Cobalt!!!) before the run. HUGE difference in braking power and no fade at all, even slowing from 120 down to 25 at the "safety pin" turn. The car has tons of corner grip even on the stock tires and the TORQUE seems to be everywhere in the rpm range. Sorry M3s and Carreras (even ones on Hoosiers) - you'll need more than just 6 cylinders to even think about hanging with the Z06.
Not a drop of oil burned, highest oil temp was 289F, at which point I would drive 1/2 lap short-shifting at 4500-5000 rpm until the temp came down to the 250-260 range. Definitely need to get the oil cooler soon so I can run hard all day. Also have to get some harnesses to keep me in the seat - my pecs are killing me from holding on the wheel just to stay in the seat!

Day 2 - 45F but clear, forecast was rain; day just got clearer and clearer and up to high 60's F. Turned into the PERFECT track day!

Run 1: Requested an instructor to see if I could learn a few tips, a new line, etc. (always a good idea to get others' viewpoints and always a learning experience); Mark Dana, the chief classroom instructor for the event, came out for a ride and to give me pointers. I put the car in Competition Mode to prevent the Traction Control from kicking in all over the place, which it was doing at the end of Run . After the warmup lap, I started really driving the car, following Mark's suggested line and stretching the car's legs. Neither of us could believe just how amazing this car is - he was laughing coming out of each corner and thoroughly enjoying the ride! "There's a Porsche ahead! Let's go get him!" 4 corners later, we're on his butt, getting the point-by over the roof down the back straight. The car is able to really hustle through the esses and the brakes were simply fantastic, especially for stock calipers. ABS works very well, without a lot of rear-end happiness like I've seen with other cars - good front-rear brake balance. For a "stock" car on "stock" tires, there is just about nothing that can run with this car - simply unreal!

Run 2: Track is dry, sun is shining, and all is right with the world. Another excellent run with the car, starting to take the car a little deeper into the braking zones. Funny thing happens - I let off the brakes and begin my turn-in, but the brake pedal is still pumping in ABS mode. Must be the Active Handling thinking I'm panic stopping and continuing to apply brake. Once I get my foot to the gas pedal, the braking has stopped and I'm able to power out. It is a strange sensation to have electronic do-dads trying to drive for you, but I do like the concept of ABS so I don't flat-spot my tires... Even in competition mode, I am seeing the Active Handling message across the display, so I must be hitting the "safe" limits of that the computer has set.

Run 3: Weather is still wonderful. I take another instructor, Sandy Shuster (he's also my father), out for a run. He has been running all weekend in his Subaru WRX STi (with newly installed Tein Flex coilovers and Kumho Victoracer V700's) and feels like he's been pretty fast all weekend. His comment after the run - "WOW! This thing is a BEAST".

All in all, a fantastic weekend to drive the car in both inclement weather and clear weather. I was really able to get a good idea of what the car can do. I know that the limits on this car are well above my abilities, but I really look forward to probing those limits further. The car did not disappoint all weekend. Didn't burn any oil at all. Tires looks great. Brake pads still have plenty of 'meat' on them.

Next stop: CMP (Kershaw) with Carolinas Region PCA, March 5-6. I'll have to see if the brand new wife will let me drive at VIR with Mazdadrivers. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I was in Florida to get married the weekend before - Sebring was pretty much my honeymoon. I'm a lucky guy to have a new wife that shares my passion for the track, huh?

See Y'All at the track soon!

Adam
Old 01-26-2005, 12:55 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Went up to Sebring for my first real track event this past Dec 4 with NASA. What a class act. Had an instructor help me with the right line. Nothing in green or yellow group could keep up with my car in the str8's. turns 3,4 and 5 were the toughest for me esp on street tires. Got up to Moroso road course this past Sunday and was driving much better, the green group was pretty fast. Even with my tranny it was great.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ag-z06

If I had one word to describe the vette on track it would be "Awesome".

Sorry M3s and Carreras (even ones on Hoosiers) - you'll need more than just 6 cylinders to even think about hanging with the Z06.

Requested an instructor to see if I could learn a few tips, a new line, etc. (always a good idea to get others' viewpoints and always a learning experience); Mark Dana, the chief classroom instructor for the event, came out for a ride and to give me pointers. I put the car in Competition Mode to prevent the Traction Control from kicking in all over the place, which it was doing at the end of Run . After the warmup lap, I started really driving the car, following Mark's suggested line and stretching the car's legs. Neither of us could believe just how amazing this car is - he was laughing coming out of each corner and thoroughly enjoying the ride! "There's a Porsche ahead! Let's go get him!" 4 corners later, we're on his butt, getting the point-by over the roof down the back straight.
Seems there is not love lost between BMWs and Porsche owners either.
Next stop: CMP (Kershaw) with Carolinas Region PCA, March 5-6. I'll have to see if the brand new wife will let me drive at VIR with Mazdadrivers.
See you at CMP. Deffinilty come up to VIR for Mada drivers. I think there are 12 vettes signed up for that
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I was in Florida to get married the weekend before - Sebring was pretty much my honeymoon. I'm a lucky guy to have a new wife that shares my passion for the track, huh?
KIM Are you readding this sweety???

We are thinking of taking our Honeymoon at "The Lodge at VIR" during the Grand Am race in October Yah right

Glad you had a great time Adam

to you and the new bride.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:55 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Adam,

Great to hear you're pleased with the car, I figured you would be. Like you noticed there is an abundance of torque and it is available about anywhere you want it.

I want to get to Sebring, but haven't had the opportunity, yet.

How was the 11 hour trip back?

BTW, congratulations on the wedding and we'll see you at CMP in March.

Jody
Old 01-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Ag-z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Adam,

Great to hear you're pleased with the car, I figured you would be. Like you noticed there is an abundance of torque and it is available about anywhere you want it.

I want to get to Sebring, but haven't had the opportunity, yet.

How was the 11 hour trip back?

BTW, congratulations on the wedding and we'll see you at CMP in March.

Jody

Jody- "Pleased with the car" is a definite understatement!

Sebring is probably the best road course in FL, but it doesn't compare with Road Atlanta or VIR. The surface is a mix of concrete, asphalt, patches, and lots of cracks/craters. It is not the smoothest around. It is also insanely flat - there is no elevation whatsoever. That said, it is a VERY fast track, with three long straightaways, some very high speed bends and several esses. There are a few places where you do not want to go off, especially 17 under the bridge. If you track out too far there is nothing but tirewall and concrete wall.

See you at CMP! I'll try to make it to VIR. That Grand East course looks incredible!

Get notified of new replies

To Report from Sebring: PBOC/SunShine Bimmers track weekend

Quick Reply: Report from Sebring: PBOC/SunShine Bimmers track weekend