Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patched Tire Still Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 04:25 PM
MIZR1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Patched Tire Still Safe?

OK, this is probably a dumb question, but here goes: I ran over something and got a hole in my front passenger side tire. It has been successfully patched and does not leak. I assumed that this tire is no longer fit for high speed track day events, but I spoke to a fellow at Bestusedtires (an internet site specializing in used tires) who claims patched tires are safe for high speed driving, so long as the patch is on the bottom and not near the edge of the tire. I'd like to hear from others their opinion on this.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Ag-z06
Racer

Originally Posted by MIZR1
OK, this is probably a dumb question, but here goes: I ran over something and got a hole in my front passenger side tire. It has been successfully patched and does not leak. I assumed that this tire is no longer fit for high speed track day events, but I spoke to a fellow at Bestusedtires (an internet site specializing in used tires) who claims patched tires are safe for high speed driving, so long as the patch is on the bottom and not near the edge of the tire. I'd like to hear from others their opinion on this.
Funny to see this, as I just experienced the same thing this past weekend.
When I was bleeding my brakes with the tires off prior to a track event this weekend, I noticed BOTH a plug and a new nail in one of my rear tires. I brought the car to two tire shops, and both confirmed that I should not run on the tire, even with proper patches. I panicked and called TireRack for two new rear F1 Supercar tires, to be Fedexed Saturday Delivery to Sebring, as I could not find the tires anywhere locally (Goodyear dealer, Chevy dealer, and a few others). The cost of this was uncomfortable, but I needed insurance that I wouldn't waste a whole track weekend because I had a tire problem.

I had the tire shop dismount the tire and do proper patching from the inside for the drive to the track, expecting to have to have the new rear tires mounted there. The tires held air without a problem on the drive to the track. Consulting with a half dozen DE Instructors, two of whom are family members, they recommended running the tire and just checking pressure after each run, being careful to note any signs of instability or problems while out on track. They all admitted to running on track with plugged/patched tires without a problem and felt that with proper precaution, all would be safe.

Personally, a tire plug is not something I'd run on. I had the tire shop do a proper tire repair from the inside - and only on the tread, not anything near the sidewalls.

Now, I'm not recommending to anyone else what to do - it's your safety at risk - but I went the whole weekend without any pressure loss or performance impact. I now have to ship the tires from FL to home in SC, incurring even more cost, but I know I'll use the tires soon anyway just from normal street driving.

I'll probably get flamed something fierce by the community here for running on this "bad" tire and risking my safety and the others on track -but in consulting with those folks, I was told that catastrophic tire failure was extremely unlikely, and that the tire would generally just have a slow leak if there was any failure of the patch. I stand by my decision to run on the tire, and I'd do it again, just being extra careful to check pressures before/after each run and check the tire for any outwardly apparent damage.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:08 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's fine in my opinion, I might feel better if was a 120 MPH event not 165
Old 01-26-2005, 05:12 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

i dont thing it is a problem IMHO
Old 01-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MIZR1
We will use a inside patched tire if the orginal hole is just a small screw size or nail and there is no cord damage.Will not use a sidewall patched tire.As luck would have it,wife's car lost a month old rear GY F1 to a large bolt on freeway,5 days later another well used rear F1 was lost to a 16d form nail and then the next day I lost a one day old GY slick to something real big on the track.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:40 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told it depends on how close it is to the sidewall (flexing issues). If it's more than a couple inches away, you should be good.

As a matter of fact...I think everyone of my street tires has a patch somewhere. I ran plenty of times with patches.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:50 PM
MIZR1
Advanced

Thanks folks for the quick input. I feel a lot better now about using the tire. And you saved me quite a few bucks. Now, lets see, what upgrade should I spend that money on?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:31 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

there is a thing called a "patch-plug" combo. it pulls through the tire from the inside, and is a patch at the same time. the plug portion prevents water from seeping in there and destroying the cords from the inside out.

that is the only thing I would run at the track.

however, I have seen personal friends of mine run on PLUGS !!! (against my advice) speeds up to 145-150 mph on a plug.
nothing happened... and he still has the plug in the tire till this very day.

I always have extra tires with me. one lost event is enough dough to cover a spare tire. that's how I look at it, and that's why I always save my old R tires. My tire rack is always packed to the max.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:47 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

I would run a DE on a patched street tire but I would never race on a patched tire or even bother patching a race tire, just toss it out
Old 01-28-2005, 09:56 AM
ToyC4
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

If it's a plug-patch from the inside on a small puncture as mentioned above you've got nothing to worry about, it's safe.
A regular plug on the other hand I'd be worried about coming out at higher speeds with the tire heating up and expanding/distorting with speed.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:27 PM
MIZR1
Advanced

Its not a plug. and I will confirm that it is satisfactory when I switch to the new wheels I just bought. Bearing in mind I'm just about to start the autoX and track day stuff (although I am a longtime MotoX rider), please dont flame me if I acknowledge that I don't know the following: what is a DE? thanks again for the input
Old 01-31-2005, 11:01 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on extent of damage and qaulity of repair. I say, small damage and patched correctly (from the inside) is acceptable. How hard due plan to push the car should be considered.
I patch a Goodrich R1 tire from the outside to finish a track weekend without issues.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:50 PM
atoyf
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the original damage wasn't a big hole you will be fine - i had my motorcycle tire patched and took it to .. let's just say very fast - works great !

Get notified of new replies

To Patched Tire Still Safe?

Quick Reply: Patched Tire Still Safe?