Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nails in my tires--ok to patch for Racing?

Old 02-21-2005, 01:07 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Nails in my tires--ok to patch for Racing?

Hi fellas, (and ladies)

If you were me, w/ 1 nail in each of 2 tires, in the tread block not the side wall, would you patch them or leave them in there and apply rubber cement?

Is it safe to do high speed driver instruction/road racing w/ a patched tire? Would you do it?

Both of them are leaking air very slowly, a few lb a week. The front is more an immediate concern in the sense that some compound has worn away so the head is starting to be more exposed.

Last year, I didn't want to run w/ patched tire, so I used my 8.5" rims on front w/old tires on them. Can't do this for the rear tire.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:14 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

There is no way in hell I would get on a racetrack with a patched tire. Think of the stress you put on that tire under those conditions...

imho
Old 02-21-2005, 01:25 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2

Is it safe to do high speed driver instruction/road racing w/ a patched tire? Would you do it?

Lets see ?? High speed straights, high g-force cornes with sliding tires, hard braking, tire pressure goes UP with hard use from 30 to 40 psi real fast, on patched tires with slow leak and the cords may or may not be cut??? Hmmmmm Let me think here . . . . . .

No my friend, your life is more important then patch tires.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:47 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

How was a nail going to cut the cord? Aren't they tough?
Old 02-21-2005, 05:53 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

patch it on the inside and live dangerously
Old 02-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

I plugged one of my rain tires, but before I ran on track I took it off and patched it on the inside as well.

I think you would probably be fine, as it would definitely not go down suddenly, but it's your call.

Some people think I'm a bit crazy, so maybe you shouldn't listen to my advice? On the other hand, some people are a bit on the **** side. I had one dude on an fbody site tell me that I was an idiot after seeing one of my road atlanta videos. He was very upset that I had run a session with my v1 still mounted to the top of my windshield, like that was going to cause a major wreck...
Old 02-21-2005, 09:03 PM
silverz06vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Timz06
Some people think I'm a bit crazy, so maybe you shouldn't listen to my advice?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:07 PM
silverz06vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Timz06

Some people think I'm a bit crazy, so maybe you shouldn't listen to my advice? On the other hand, some people are a bit on the **** side. I had one dude on an fbody site tell me that I was an idiot after seeing one of my road atlanta videos. He was very upset that I had run a session with my v1 still mounted to the top of my windshield, like that was going to cause a major wreck...
I wonder what he would of said if he saw you on three wheels going thru the up hill esses at VIR.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:17 PM
BrianS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be a little concerned about the increased temperature of the tires while run on a road course and the effect of said temp on the glue. I may be a little **** with some of this stuff but I do not want to think about what would happen if you had a blowout at speed.

I am sure you would be fine on the road.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BrianS
I do not want to think about what would happen if you had a blowout at speed.

You would probably have an off track excursion did I tell you guys about the time that I forgot to tighten down my rear brake caliper bracket mounting bolt?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:48 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

i would run on it, but that is just my tight *** NW iowan in me
Old 02-22-2005, 08:09 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BrianS
I would be a little concerned about the increased temperature of the tires while run on a road course and the effect of said temp on the glue. I may be a little **** with some of this stuff but I do not want to think about what would happen if you had a blowout at speed.

I was thinking more on this last night, and I agree with you.

Still, if I have the tire dismounted from rim, have a pro put a patch on from the inside with a rectangular piece of rubber patch, with some adhesive, it's hard to comprehend how this could fail unless the adhesive delaminated on all sides or the patch rubber tore under 40 psi.

These are Goodyear F1 Supercar tires, almost new, 2k mi on them. I am thinking Goodyear engineers must have come up with something over the years for their performance tires to patch them in a way that's safe under extreme conditions.

I am going to contact Goodyear technical support. They were responsive last time I asked a question.

Thanks for your replies!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:16 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I was thinking more on this last night, and I agree with you.

Still, if I have the tire dismounted from rim, have a pro put a patch on from the inside with a rectangular piece of rubber patch, with some adhesive, it's hard to comprehend how this could fail unless the adhesive delaminated on all sides or the patch rubber tore under 40 psi.

These are Goodyear F1 Supercar tires, almost new, 2k mi on them. I am thinking Goodyear engineers must have come up with something over the years for their performance tires to patch them in a way that's safe under extreme conditions.

I am going to contact Goodyear technical support. They were responsive last time I asked a question.

Thanks for your replies!
They'll tell you that if it's patched correctly you'll lose one letter rating on the speed rating of the tire. The key is "if it's patched correctly". But it's your life, just don't take anybody else out with you when it fails...safety first in racing. There's a reason you won't find the Pros running patched tires....
Old 02-22-2005, 09:00 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

If its plugged and patched it should be OK... only you can decide based on your risk aversity whether you are comfortable with "should be"
Old 02-22-2005, 11:46 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TedDBere
They'll tell you that if it's patched correctly you'll lose one letter rating on the speed rating of the tire. The key is "if it's patched correctly". But it's your life, just don't take anybody else out with you when it fails...safety first in racing. There's a reason you won't find the Pros running patched tires....

Related to this: when is a tire too worn out to be safe? Does the cord have to show or do you throw them out long before this?

My left tire of the 2 "extra" tires for the front is worn on the corner, little tread left, obviously no cord, but I'm just as concerned about using this as a patched (from the inside) tire.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:08 PM
ToyC4
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

as long as it is patched with a plug patch (a patch with a plug in the center that is applied inside the tire) I would feel comfortable at any speed.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:27 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ToyC4

as long as it is patched with a plug patch (a patch with a plug in the center that is applied inside the tire) I would feel comfortable at any speed.
Does that go on with adhesive? Looks just like what I thought it should. As long as it's a good material and the adhesive bonds, I'd think it should be fine.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No sponsor here so I cord mine

Get notified of new replies

To Nails in my tires--ok to patch for Racing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nails in my tires--ok to patch for Racing?