Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dispel the rumor (Castrol SRF)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 06:50 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by C6RAPTOR
Randy
This 10 year old post is the only post I could find on the subject of Castrol SRF brake fluid seal problems.
I have been using SRF for 8-9 years for my brakes & clutch fluid.
I recently installed Tilton master & slave cylinders and found out from Tilton that SRF causes the seals to swell . Tilton stated that they tested all of the high temperature brake fluids and SRF caused swelling faster then the other fluids tested. Swelling started in three months.
I never had a problem with leaking with my OEM master or slave cylinders and Tilton stated that they use the same seal material as OEM.
I still have it in my Tilton clutch & Stoptech brake systems.
You have been around our race cars. They always used Tilton or AP masters, Tilton clutches and AP or StopTech brakes.

For brake fluid it has either been SRF or Endless 650 fluid. We have never had a single issue with a Tilton master or slave and as far as I can tell, never rebuilt any of them. The longest going WC car we had in our possession was Lou's 2005 car which was ran under different colors and by different drivers from 2005 through 2007 so 3 full race seasons with not a single issue.

I trust Kirk at Tilton on what he has to say but I can also say real world experience (unless they changed something), is that it never caused an issue.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
You have been around our race cars. They always used Tilton or AP masters, Tilton clutches and AP or StopTech brakes.

For brake fluid it has either been SRF or Endless 650 fluid. We have never had a single issue with a Tilton master or slave and as far as I can tell, never rebuilt any of them. The longest going WC car we had in our possession was Lou's 2005 car which was ran under different colors and by different drivers from 2005 through 2007 so 3 full race seasons with not a single issue.

I trust Kirk at Tilton on what he has to say but I can also say real world experience (unless they changed something), is that it never caused an issue.
Anthony
I removed my Tilton clutch master that has had SRF in it for months and sent it to Tick to have Matt compare the well used seals to a new master's seals. Matt reported that the seals looked like new.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:33 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

To further that point, I just rebuild my Stoptech brakes after 5 seasons (I thought I was pushing it). I only use SRF and I had trouble telling the new seals from the old ones. One of the guys in the shop even questioned me, asking why I was throwing away new seals.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:43 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

SRF! Nothing better with Tilton or any brake system. It has probably been used in 50+ race cars I have driven.

Jim

Quick Reply: Dispel the rumor (Castrol SRF)