Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silver State Classic Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 12:49 AM
Siren714
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silver State Classic Challenge

Well, It's official, I'm registered for the SSCC in Sept. I'm a little nervous, but I have to get my feet wet sooner or later....That said, has anyone run it before, and if so, how was it? What should I expect? Any info is appreciated - Thanks!!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:34 AM
zipnz
Racer

Originally Posted by Siren714
Well, It's official, I'm registered for the SSCC in Sept. I'm a little nervous, but I have to get my feet wet sooner or later....That said, has anyone run it before, and if so, how was it? What should I expect? Any info is appreciated - Thanks!!

I haven't run the SSCC, but I have run the Big Bend Open Road race in west Texas a few times. Even for a FIRST TIMER, I would run the fastest allowable speed that you can(most likely 125mph class). Reason: I understand that the SSCC course is much straighter than the BBORR; thus, even 125mph gets fairly mundane on a loooooong straight, four lane highway.
I have run the BBORR solo every time, busy at times, yes; a navigator helps, but you'll find that driving 145 mph solo using only a stopwatch and course notes can be equally as rewarding.
The biggest concern at those speeds is TIRES. Don't skimp, make sure your tires are in excellent condition! Read the rules carefully, especially regarding the safety equipment for your speed class.
Run this event once, and I can assure you that you'll be hooked.
Regards,
Paul

P.S. the pic in my avatar was taken from the last BBORR
Old 07-28-2005, 08:19 AM
vetteheadracer
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 26 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My mate Joel English (stupid name as he is Irish) won this last year in "Skunk" his blakc supercharged Dodge Viper GTS.

He is running it this weekend in TOTB www.totb.co.uk as am I in the Twin Turbo Z06
Old 07-28-2005, 01:49 PM
98vettemann
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have run in the silver state, gold rush challenge, big bend, and sandhills races. I am running in the upcoming sandhills race in Nebraska and may run in the silver state in September. Once you do this you will be hooked. I have numerous mods to my 98 coupe, but a stock vette will do fine. Give me a call or email and I will fill you in on all the details and try and answer any questions that you have. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2005, 03:08 PM
vettl83
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 98vettemann
I have run in the silver state, gold rush challenge, big bend, and sandhills races. I am running in the upcoming sandhills race in Nebraska and may run in the silver state in September. Once you do this you will be hooked. I have numerous mods to my 98 coupe, but a stock vette will do fine. Give me a call or email and I will fill you in on all the details and try and answer any questions that you have. Good luck!
Michael, look forward to seeing you at the Sand Hills Classic, I'm running the mile and the road race. Later, 84 CF 91 ZR1
Old 07-30-2005, 07:02 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

I ran the CARS Gambler's Run and Pony Express "backwards"
in an LS1 Z28 vert, top down at 170+

A vette coupe at 160 MPH is a piece of cake, you'll have fun
You'll be used to the speed by the end of practice, slowing down at that speed is a bit of an issue, however.
ask me how I know that...
Old 07-30-2005, 07:08 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

best of luck
Old 07-31-2005, 11:29 AM
bbunting
Racer

Originally Posted by vettl83
Michael, look forward to seeing you at the Sand Hills Classic, I'm running the mile and the road race. Later, 84 CF 91 ZR1
Same here.....

As noted above, give the car a complete "nut & bolt"....even the smallest mishap at speed is costly.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:24 PM
Siren714
Intermediate

Thanks for the info - Although I hate being the newbie, the only way to learn is to ask questions and get out there and do it.
I have all the required safety equipment (seats, roll bar, harnesses, helemts, shoes, gloves, fire extinguisher, etc.) Invested in new tires all the way around, upgraded the rotors, pads, stainless steel lines and fluids (the rotor job was a PIA).
I read something about over filling the oil by 1/4 quart, 1/2 quart, etc. Any info on that would be helpful....
Before I we go I will to a fluid level check on everything, check pads, check lugs, etc.
Am I missing anything?
Thanks!!
Old 07-31-2005, 10:06 PM
vettl83
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you've covered the obvious, anything else they should cover at tech in. They like you to have everything ready at tech i.e. helmet, fire suit, nomex underware, shoes, gloves, fire-x, etc. Good luck at the event. 84 CF 91 ZR1
Old 07-31-2005, 10:09 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to ask what class you plan to run. I was looking to run in a low class at some point but haven't got to that point where I'm willing to sign up. I will be running Reno-Fernley in two weekends with a Corvette group and will probably look at a map to see how much further it is to get to the starting point. I know the first run of the year was all the way over in Wendover.

As to over fill, I've been running two years at various road courses and have filled about a 1/2 over for most of that time. running two hard sessions, 40 to 55 minutes will bring it down some, but I don't see any lower levels in normal street driving. I'm guessing you will want to start 1/2 over. The lugs for the C5 are good at 100 ft/lb torque and I've seen a 1/16 or so turn after an hour or so on track, good thing to check. Good luck!
Randy
Old 07-31-2005, 10:45 PM
Siren714
Intermediate

Since I'm pretty much a novice I'm doing the 100 mph division. I'll work my way up through the divisions as I am comfortable, and feel ready for more speed. There's no need to go out and do something stupid just because the car is geared for more speed than the driver, and I have nothing to prove to anyone out there. It's more about the ear to ear grin that I get than how fast I actually went
I just wish September would get here faster!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Silver State Classic Challenge

Quick Reply: Silver State Classic Challenge