Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default HPDE tires?

I have been running my Kuhmo V710's on HPDE days just like I do for Auto-x.

Although my front 710's seem to last 6 months of auto-x season and 4 HPDE days on the last HPDE event I cordered the fronts and ended up buying another set for auto-x.

I used to run the Victoracer 700's before the 710's came out, but the 710 is a much better auto-x tire. Now I am considering getting at least another set of 17 X 11 rims to run 315's all the way around on the big track. Don't know if the 710's are the best to get or other suggestions for 315/35 - 17's for track abuse...
Old 08-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Fluffernutter
Advanced

On my M3 I could only get 4 or 5 days out of a set of V710s. I find that the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups give me over triple that, and you can drive to the track on them.
I've tried everything... Well except for the Toyo Proxes RA-1s, but those are probably next after this set. The MPSCs really feel good and they last forever.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

I have never been a fan of driving to and from the track on the same tires that I race on. I have a tire trailer, but am in the process of getting a car trailer before the next event. Got tired of changing tires at the track!

I have run "expensive" street tires at the track and have never been all that impressed with them. Ended up burning through them quickly. They usually cost more than competition tires do in the long run.

Been a big fan of Kuhmo for value and tire life so far. Just don't know if there is something slightly better with the same quality and handling characteristics.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:35 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

I don't think there's a better DOT R than the V710, right now. Period.
They do seem to be sensitive to initial heat cycling, but once "right" I don't think there's any better bang for the buck.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

quick

Find a source for scrubbs on the west coast. Many times ppl will purchase scrubbs for 50-100 a tire and they only have one ot two heat cycles on. Then still get three or four weekends out of those tires.

Tires are very sussuptable to camber. Hoosiers love lots of neagtive camber. anything over -2.0 is great for the Hoosiers, but less then that and the tire wares out.

If you have a parromiter to chech tire temps that helps alot. the tire temp across the tire should be with in 10* or in the 180-200* range. If the tire is hotter then that on the inside edge you have too much negative camber, if the tire is hotter on the outter edge you need more negative camber.

My understanding is auto-x tires and road race tires are different enough that they should not be interchanged.

I know several guys who run the V-710s and lots of weekends out of them but and the BIG BUT is traction. They are never good for more then 3 or 4 hard laps at a time. after that they become greassie and slippery.

I run Good Year G19s ( when I can find them) or Hoosiers GACs or VRLs. Many ppl use the Hoosier RSO4s with good success.

I also dont like the idea or drive to an event on the tires you are using. Best to have a small tire trailer or trailer you car. Open trailers are not that expesive but tow vehicals can be.

Michelin has a new slick out. I think it is called the Piolet. It is not the CUP or the PS2 it is true slick. But then at $2700 a set new

IMHO look at the Hoosier RSO4s for track days or the Hoosier ASO4s for auto-x

Old 08-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I’m on my 3rd set of 710’s and couldn’t be more pleased. Until you use up the heat cycle life of them (probably 2 or 3 weekends) they have fantastic grip for every lap. I’ve had the tread on one set last 9 weekends of HPDE’s and some of those weekends were on some pretty gritty tracks. Although there’d still be tread left, after about 3 weekends the grip won’t last through the full sessions. The heat cycle life is used up at that point, but there’s still good laps left in them for the full 9 weekends, just not as many as when they were new.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:02 AM
rex_l
Advanced

Originally Posted by Falcon
I’m on my 3rd set of 710’s and couldn’t be more pleased. Until you use up the heat cycle life of them (probably 2 or 3 weekends) they have fantastic grip for every lap. I’ve had the tread on one set last 9 weekends of HPDE’s and some of those weekends were on some pretty gritty tracks. Although there’d still be tread left, after about 3 weekends the grip won’t last through the full sessions. The heat cycle life is used up at that point, but there’s still good laps left in them for the full 9 weekends, just not as many as when they were new.
Jody after the the 3rd weekend grip falls off would you consider the remainder of the tires life/grip to be superior to that of a good street tire or about equal?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Found this posted over in the 4 sale section. Phoenix Performance is selling some tires:

We have the following tires for sale. All prices plus shipping

1. Hoosiers, new, never used. $500 for set of 4.

Hoosier 305 30zr18 Rs304
335 30zr18 R s304

2. Used Kumho V710's. 3 heat cycles. Excellent condition

2 275's and 2 315's by 17.
$350 for a set of 4, plus shipping

3. Used Goodyears. 3 heat cycles. 315's by 17.
$350 for a set of 4.

Call 800-217-7870 or email jfaphoenix32@aol.com
Old 08-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Yes, Rex, they are still superior to street tires even in the diminished state. The drop off is linear, meaning they lose a grip a little earlier each weekend. By the last weekend there's only a couple of reasonable laps per session left in them, but the falloff is predictable. Keep in mind, though, these are just my experiences with them, and I’m sure others may have different results. YMMV.

The set I've got on my car now has 3 weekends on them and they still had good grip for the whole weekend at R/A where I used them last. If any tire is abused (overdriven), lap after lap, I'm sure they will lose grip after just a session or 2. I try not to overdrive them so they will last longer. I'll continue to do that until I have a pit crew and an unlimited tire budget.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Jody - are you getting your tires heat cycled from tirerack? or just mount and go? I am going to purchase the 710s next for z06 wheels, but was wondering if it was worth getting the 275s in front heat cycled professionally prior to use...in the past i just run them around for a good 30 mins before i take them out on the track...I am also going to get my car aligned to a more reasonable track setting...after my experience with my nitto 555rii's i NEED a better alignment since my nittos are trashed due to the stock alignment settings. It is a shame since the nittos would have plenty of tread left had they worn evenly I am going to run them one more time (the monday sept 26th PCA event) and then they are done for.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Ryan, I get mine heat cycled by Tire Rack. I don't know how well they do it, but I guess it's better than nothing. If I didn't get them to do it, I'd have to put them on at the track and get them up to heat, then come in take them off and go out on another set because I think they have to sit for 24 hours after the first heat cycle to for it to be effective.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:33 PM
johnsea06
Racer

I've been real pleased with the Nitto 555RII Extremes that I get heat cycled. Just not so good in deep water!

I haven't run the Khumo 710's yet. Anyone who has tried both sets care to comment?
Old 08-29-2005, 05:00 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Ron
I would buy another set of wheels and put on Kumho V710's on them. Have one set for autocross and the other set for Track days. Keep the better set for autocross. I'm running Toyo RA1 for street driving and Willow Springs. My spare set has V710's for autocross.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE tires?

Quick Reply: HPDE tires?