Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QA1, 04 Z06 or Bilstein Sports??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 12:49 AM
jessejay356
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Default QA1, 04 Z06 or Bilstein Sports??

I have a 99 C5 coupe, and I am planning to change to new shocks soon. Already have new tires, and Z06 sway bars. Also going to lower as much as the front will allow without cutting the bushings.
I auto-cross but don't want to give up too much ride on the street. So I am trying to decide between the following shocks... QA1, 04 Z06, or the Bilstein Sports.
If I go with the Bilstein Sports, or 04 Z06's I could use the extra $ to get a LAPD tunnel plate, and maybe some other goodies.
Are the QA1's worth it? Did they ever come out with the dual adjustable front shocks? What would you do!!?!
So many questions!

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2006, 01:23 PM
C5COM67
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As you already know.....set of Bilsteins= a single QA1. For a casual AutoX ( 1-2 times a month) I would go with Bilstein Sport, poly bushings, swaybars and springs and still be close to a set of QA1s in price. Then Hawk HPS pads and SS brake lines. I do know a few guys with adj. Konis who love em, but no QA1.

Just my .02, sure you will hear more
Old 02-10-2006, 01:56 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The nice thing about the 04's and Bilsteins is that they are designed for the C5 platform and bolt right up, work good, and are cheap. The QA1's and Moton's will probably work better, but how much more for the cost? and do you really need the extra 10%? You get what you pay for, but 4 times the cost are they really going to improve your handling 4 times as well? coming from the master penny pincher himself, I would get the 04's and buy something else with your money. just my personal opinion
Old 02-10-2006, 02:06 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've yet to hear of anyone really happy with the QA1 shocks, at least the SA's. Rumor has it the DA's are better? I do know that the type of valving used is similar to that used by KYB and is not exactly "leading edge".
Lots of very successful, national autocross guys have migrated to the SA Konis, which I believe are right at $1000/set.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either the Bilstein or '04 Z06 shocks. Only thing that I think makes the Bilsteins cool is that they are rebuildable, so you could change the spec depending on your needs.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:19 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

I have a set of QA1s on my Cobra replica. I can't speak to the performance or value of thses shocks for your car, but I will say that it is very convenient to be able to adjust the shock action with the turn of a dial without even jacking up the wheel. ... Incidentally, these are my first adjustable shocks and the difference between the various settings is very noticeable.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Paras
Drifting

I think that more than performance, adjustability is key. I had non-adjustable coilovers before and they were a pain...
Old 02-10-2006, 04:49 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Question regarding Bilstein Sports vs. Heavy Duty.

I am getting conflicting information. Which are stiffer? I called Bilstein and were told by them, that the sports will not work with stock z06 springs? They are more for T1 (heavier) springs, and would cause a stock sprung car to handle poorly. He recommended the heavy duty for a zo6 suspension even under track conditions? Did this guy know what they heck he was talking about?

Don't many run the sports on stock z06 suspension?
Old 02-10-2006, 07:27 PM
jessejay356
Pro

Default info from bilstein

http://www.bilstein.com/ProductDescriptions.pdf

HEAVY DUTY
For most vehicles including full-size sedans, wagons and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability without
sacrificing ride comfort.
They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling for occasional off-road use, while maintaining an
exceptional “street” ride.
SPORT
For the performance-minded driver, Bilstein “Sport” shocks deliver absolute mastery of the road surface.
Designed to push a car’s suspension to it’s performance peak, these super-firm shocks are well suited for use with special
springs, anti-sway bars or other suspension upgrades.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:57 PM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

Any reason you're not considering a Koni single adjustable?
Old 02-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Question regarding Bilstein Sports vs. Heavy Duty.

I am getting conflicting information. Which are stiffer? I called Bilstein and were told by them, that the sports will not work with stock z06 springs? They are more for T1 (heavier) springs, and would cause a stock sprung car to handle poorly. He recommended the heavy duty for a zo6 suspension even under track conditions? Did this guy know what they heck he was talking about?

Don't many run the sports on stock z06 suspension?
Ive never heard of anyone on the Forum getting anything but the Sports.

My car is lowered and I put Z06 springs on it ....... handles great
Old 02-12-2006, 01:41 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Paras
I think that more than performance, adjustability is key. I had non-adjustable coilovers before and they were a pain...
I don't have coil overs, but the range of these shocks are great, Caddillac to go-cart. They also 'click' so you know where you are in the adjustment.

Originally Posted by TravisD
On a C4 you need to either remove the shock from the car to adjust it, or drill a hole down from the inside and down through the frame. Koni is a better shock, and if I was doing door-to-door endurance racing I'd get them. But not on car that driver to events. Get there crank them up, do your thing, and the end of the day, reset.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:13 PM
jessejay356
Pro

Originally Posted by TravisD
My understanding is that they are not adjustable while on the car. I want to be able adjust them at events, and the adjust again when I'm done. The QA1's are adjustable without removing.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:07 PM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jessejay356
My understanding is that they are not adjustable while on the car. I want to be able adjust them at events, and the adjust again when I'm done. The QA1's are adjustable without removing.
Not sure about a C5 -- the adjusters are on the top of the shock. Can you get to the top of the shock easily?

On the C4 it's easy on the front -- pop the hood and it's right there. The rears, as Brian mentioned, require pulling just the top mount of the shock - couple of 8mm bolts and pull the shock down, adjust, re-place. That said, I run my rears full-soft anyway so I really don't even touch them all season long.

Get notified of new replies

To QA1, 04 Z06 or Bilstein Sports??

Quick Reply: QA1, 04 Z06 or Bilstein Sports??