Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Spoiler Warning) Mid Ohio World Challenge GT Race report

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:57 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default (Spoiler Warning) Mid Ohio World Challenge GT Race report

Hi Guys,

The race will be televised this coming Saturday the 27th at 9 PM Eastern time on Speed TV. So if you want to wait for the results please cover your eyes

here is the race report below. But in my own words, it was great to finally bring the car home for the win. At Sebring, we had the lead with 4 laps to go but a severe over-rev caused a failure. Then at St Pete, and Long Beach, I ran up front but was caught and could only finish 4th in each of those races.

So it was very important to the team that we finish where we started.

Thanks to all of the forum members for the support. I always get to meet some forum members to put faces with the names.

Next race, Infineon raceway (sears point), June 23-25 with the NASCAR weekend. The GT race is Sunday afternoon at 4:30.

See you at the races

Lou Gigliotti LGM

TEAM NEWS: LG Motorsports At Mid Ohio.... PERFECT (21.05.2006)
Photo by John Thawley www.trackbytes.com

Lou Gigliotti, driving the #28 LG Motorsports, ProLong Tube Header Corvette C6.R went wire-to-wire to win Saturday's SCCA Pro Racing SPEED World Challenge GT race taking at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. The race will be broadcast on SPEED Channel next Saturday, May 27 at 9 p.m.

Gigliotti set the fastest time in qualifying with a 1:26.973 at 93.463 mph to start the race from the pole. With 93 World Challenge starts to his credit, the 3-time World Challenge Champion (91, 92, & 96) this was Gigliotti's 26 pole. He has accumulated an impressive 20 wins.

Gigliotti led the field from the drop of the flag. Holding off challenges from Michael Galati and Lawson Aschenbach in the early going, Gigliotti gradually stretched out his lead. With Galati and Aschenbach battling each other behind him, Gigliotti took the opportunity to settle into his own race pace.

"Any of these guys will tell you, when you get the lead the idea is to win the race at the slowest possible speed so you don’t break anything,” Gigliotti said. “My car had a vibration from lap number one and I still don’t know what it is. I was really worried that I broke something on the standing start.

“Before the race, I thought I’d need a caution to win. Once the race was going the way it was, I didn’t want the caution at the end. The car was good and in cruise mode. I could adjust for the vibration I had. But, for all I know, if we went green the whole way, something would have broken. Something is wrong, so probably, the caution was a godsend.”

Aschenbach, ultimately got the better of Galati, but never had enough to pull up on Gigliotti. The outcome of the race did, however, play into the Drivers Championship. Mike McCann’s early departure from the race pushed Aschenbach into the Drivers’ Championship lead with 104 points. Gigliotti now sits in second, just two points back.

Right after taking the checkered flag, Gigliotti slowed on the back straight during the cool-down lap, not from a problem, but in order to honor a friend.

“A few weeks ago, a really dear friend of mine passed away. I carried a small vial of his ashes taped to my roll cage. That’s why I slowed down on the straightaway at the end of the race so that I could sprinkle his ashes. He always wanted to run a race. Now he ran one, he won one and he’s at Mid-Ohio forever.”

Lou also gave a nod to his LG Motorsports team and son, Louis Jr. In addition to todays winning outcome, the #28 LG Motorsports Corvette enjoys an outstanding reliability record.

"Louis Jr. and my guys operate with one objective," added Lou, "to race and we leave it all out on the track. I can't compliment these guys enough. The continually give all they have to the team... and then give a little more. They are the reason we are standing here on top of the podium."

Teammate, Claudio Burtin, moved his #27 Pabst Blue Ribbon/ProLong Tube Headers Corvette from a 19th place start to a 12th place finish.

"We'll take the 12th place finish," said Burtin, following the race. "We've got more work to do, but I think we're moving in the right direction. It was a pretty crowded track for the first half of the race, and I think we did real well hanging in and keeping out of trouble. We'll see what we have for them when we get to Sonoma. The crew is doing a great job."

Doug Peterson in the #87 3 Dimensional Services Corvette qualified to start in 12th position but did not start the race.

The SPEED GT race, part of the SPEED World Challenge weekend with the American Le Mans Series at Mid-Ohio, will be broadcast Saturday, May 27, at 9 p.m. (EDT).

LG Motorsports is located in Wylie, Texas. Known for their exceptional service and customer support, LG Motorsports provides high-performance parts and accessories for the Corvette C5, C6, C6- Z06, Cadillac CTS-V, Pontiac GTO and F body LS1 powered cars. LG Motorsports … where money buys speed. For more information about LG Motorsports, visit www.lgmotorsports.com.

Regarded as the most relevant and top production car road racing series in the world, the SCCA SPEED World Challenge Championships are broken into two distinct sub-series that run separately from one another— SCCA SPEED GT and SCCA SPEED Touring Car. Each Championship is run in a 50-minute “sprint” race format, featuring recognizable cars, world-class drivers and standing starts. For more information about the SCCA Pro Racing SPEED World Challenge Championships, please visit www.world-challenge.com.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:22 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Lou!!

Old 05-22-2006, 09:26 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the victory! (and sweeping all the points)

good news - you're only 2 points out of first place in the driver standings

bad news - you're now + 40 lbs. and have the potential for adding another 160
Old 05-22-2006, 09:53 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:09 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Congrats Lou!!!

I was out on Fontana myself yesterday and had a blast!!!

Good luck in your next race!

JB
Old 05-22-2006, 10:09 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't be happier for you Lou (perserverance man)Finally linguinie and naps pay off

How many visits did the G.M. brass make to your trailer after the race?

To bad about Leighton, but Dave Farmer nice to see ya back.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Hi Guys,

Right after taking the checkered flag, Gigliotti slowed on the back straight during the cool-down lap, not from a problem, but in order to honor a friend.

“A few weeks ago, a really dear friend of mine passed away. I carried a small vial of his ashes taped to my roll cage. That’s why I slowed down on the straightaway at the end of the race so that I could sprinkle his ashes. He always wanted to run a race. Now he ran one, he won one and he’s at Mid-Ohio forever.”
Congrats and to your friend...........a classy way to honor a friend to be sure
Old 05-22-2006, 10:57 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great weekend, and well deserved. 2nd place in points is nothing to sneeze at either
Old 05-22-2006, 11:55 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Steven
Old 05-22-2006, 12:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations to the crew also!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:09 PM
daveydc5
Racer

Awesome job! I live 30 minutes from Infineon and hope to see you do it again in person.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:23 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by z060ntrack
I couldn't be happier for you Lou (perserverance man)Finally linguinie and naps pay off

How many visits did the G.M. brass make to your trailer after the race?
Answer: NONE

Unfortunately GM is paying for Cadillac to win the mfgs championship, so they have mixed emotions.

Thanks for all the props and my old saying," the harder I work, the luckier I get" is true.

I think the SCCA got a wisper in their ear from the Porsche team that my car was not legal, so they kept looking at it for 3 hours. It seems that my car didn't "Stall" quickly enough during the stall test to see if you are bypassing the restrictor plate, so they looked pretty hard.

We just switched to Speed Density for the race tune so there was no mass air meter. But it still stalled but not until the tech guy totally sealed the intake path. No matter.

At any rate, the race was a good one. I had to "block" the AWD Turbo Volvo for a few laps in one section where he was faster but after that, he burned his tires and brakes off.

The re-start was the clincher. I was right on top of it and got a great lead on the re-start. The Porsche was faster but he had to make up about 1.5 seconds in the last 3 laps. he couldn't pull it off so I won by .3xx of a second which was good enough.

thanks again, and see some of you at Sears Point (Infineon) on the june 25th weekend.

And yes, I am more excited about being 2nd only 2 points out of the lead in the Championship!!

Lou Gigliotti LGM

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 05-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Congrats....
Old 05-22-2006, 03:04 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the victor goes the spoils (or is that 40lbs). Congrats...the only downside is the weight. In this series it's probably better to come in 2 and 3rd every race and hope your competition isn't as consistent.

We knew you'd get it done!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Thanks for all the props and my old saying," the harder I work, the luckier I get" is true.
Good work and congrats
Old 05-22-2006, 03:28 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Lou, I am running at Sears Point for the Wine Country on June 3rd and 4th. I have checked on your site, and don't see any video's of that track. Do you have any video's of Sears Point that I can view?
Thanks,
Old 05-22-2006, 06:38 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Lou, I am running at Sears Point for the Wine Country on June 3rd and 4th. I have checked on your site, and don't see any video's of that track. Do you have any video's of Sears Point that I can view?
Thanks,

No sears point video from 05. Sorry.

I do have a qualifying lap (record pole lap) somewhere that I can get put up on the LGM video site.

Thanks
Lou g

Get notified of new replies

To (Spoiler Warning) Mid Ohio World Challenge GT Race report

Old 05-22-2006, 06:59 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Answer: NONE

Unfortunately GM is paying for Cadillac to win the mfgs championship, so they have mixed emotions.
GM's just being stupid.

We just switched to Speed Density for the race tune so there was no mass air meter. But it still stalled but not until the tech guy totally sealed the intake path.
Now that's interesting to read.
I bet they'll be a lot of threads in C6 tech!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:48 PM
sailohio
Melting Slicks

Nice run Lou. I was rootin for you.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:34 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Thanks Lou

Quick Reply: (Spoiler Warning) Mid Ohio World Challenge GT Race report