Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR HPDE1 & the "Point By" Racing Team

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:00 AM
ramairbrc
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default VIR HPDE1 & the "Point By" Racing Team

I want to thank my instructor, Rick Pauge, and the rest of the "Point By" Racing Team (working title) for making this weekend an excellent experience for me and my first time out with this car.

It's that type of comradery and encouragement that attracts newbies to a sport. And it is the lack for such institutions that repel newbies away from a sport... I know, I've seen that in action as well.

The HPDE coordinators would be well advised to pair up HPDE1 students with instructors who drive similar cars, at least similar configuration. I've only done one other HPDE1 event, over a year ago, and no offense, but the instructor did not know my car or its capabilities. It seemed as much of a learning experience for him as it was for me. So, that experience was not as rewarding as this past weekend. And to be honest, that, and only that, rewarding feeling will get HPDE1 students to come back and progress through the ranks.

I hope to continue this trend, and, of course, learn from instructors who drive different cars. But, I feel I will learn the most from instructors who drive a car like mine. Not just a vette, but front drive v8 cars that actually have some horsepower, which you can use to help manuever that car around the track.

Looking forward to next time.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:54 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bob, glad you had a good experience this weekend despite the heat I'll pass it on to Rick.

It's great seeing more and more new people bringing their 'vettes out to the NASA MA events. I think we ended up with 9 or 10 vettes up on 'Corvette Hill' over the weekend. The end-of-day bench racing, swapping lies, adult beverages and socializing is just as big a part of the weekend as the driving itself.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:27 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

It was a great weekend. I've got some pretty good video that I'll upload later.

- Walead (still cooling off...)
Old 07-31-2006, 07:32 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wallyman424
It was a great weekend. I've got some pretty good video that I'll upload later.

- Walead (still cooling off...)
Great, I can't wait to see it! I would really like to see the first laps of the last session on Sunday before we caught up with the back markers.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:51 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Although I didn't "join" in the actual event until Sunday, I had a blast. I would like to thank the "Gang" for making me feel welcome. Corvette Hill is definately the place to be with Point By Racing. I learned alot in just the one day. I am sorry that I didn't get another day with Mike as my instuctor. We coulda gone places (other than the grass and dirt) I had my first off track excursion in 3 HPDE's and I learned a lot from that also. I will never again take my car on the track with street pads on it. Holy $#!t !!!! I found the limit of thoe pads quickly and backed off a notch or 2. No where near the Carbotechs. That was my first experience with VIR also. What a world class place. NASA is a great group also. It was a pleasure to meet all of you and I hope to do it again soon.

Bob
Old 07-31-2006, 09:28 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Hey Bob. I'm glad you checked in. I was wondering how you fared on the drive to GA. Glad you made it okay.

Checked the calendar for the NCM event at CMP in October and it looks good. Jack and I need to get in touch with Tom or Roc about instructing.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:56 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Excellent weekend with NASA-MA. I never got up the hill to go meet you guys. I was over in the corner near the garage. Silver 02 Z06 running in HPDE III for my first time. It was a blast. Very fast moving group and fairly aggressive. It's a whole new ball game passing anywhere with a point-by.

I was up there with a bunch of buddies and we stayed in the hospitality suites so we chose to pit right next to them. Boy it sure makes the trip to the track in the morning nice. All 50ft of it It was nice going to the room to chill out between sessions. It was darned hot out there.

Other than the heat and getting off schedule it was a nice weekend at the track with no incidents for me. Well, except that one off in T3 when I slid onto the grass. No drama and right back on. I was learning to drive with no AH/TC at all and trying to ween myself from Comp Mode. So I guess I'm allowed one screw up...

Graham
Old 07-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by 96LT1
Hey Bob. I'm glad you checked in. I was wondering how you fared on the drive to GA. Glad you made it okay.

Checked the calendar for the NCM event at CMP in October and it looks good. Jack and I need to get in touch with Tom or Roc about instructing.
Howdy,

Yup, got to Commerce, Ga last night and called it quits at about midnight. Got a $44 room at the Days Inn and finished it this morning. All paperwork in Ga is done. I am now home and getting ready to head to CT. Leaving in the morning and heading up 95. If you see me WAVE and pull me over cuz I probably need a break

I truly enjoyed myself. I learned a ton and cannot thank you enough. I will be properly prepared next time. I cannot wait to get to run full course and the other one you mentioned. I am looking to plan out the next year. Talk to Tom. Send him a PM. He answers those promptly these days.

Originally Posted by vms4evr
Excellent weekend with NASA-MA. I never got up the hill to go meet you guys. I was over in the corner near the garage. Silver 02 Z06 running in HPDE III for my first time. It was a blast. Very fast moving group and fairly aggressive. It's a whole new ball game passing anywhere with a point-by.

I was up there with a bunch of buddies and we stayed in the hospitality suites so we chose to pit right next to them. Boy it sure makes the trip to the track in the morning nice. All 50ft of it It was nice going to the room to chill out between sessions. It was darned hot out there.
Ummm, yes you should have come up and said hi...then invited us to your a/c suite. J/K It was HOT. Still fun.

Hope all is well

Bob

Last edited by Kanmer; 07-31-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:24 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Other than the heat and getting off schedule it was a nice weekend at the track with no incidents for me. Well, except that one off in T3 when I slid onto the grass. No drama and right back on. I was learning to drive with no AH/TC at all and trying to ween myself from Comp Mode. So I guess I'm allowed one screw up...

Graham
I got a chance to run the 2nd session on Saturday with HPDEIII. Seemed to be a good bunch of people.

The heat definitely made for an interesting weekend, that and all the oil dry that had to be put down in T3 and the SNAKE.

Stop by and say Hi if you get a chance next time. We get to all of the NASA MA events except for CMP.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:50 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Great, I can't wait to see it! I would really like to see the first laps of the last session on Sunday before we caught up with the back markers.
https://jshare.johnshopkins.edu/whes...s/VirNASA1.mov

There we go. I like the line for turn 7 on the lap where we passed the cobra between 3-4.

Also, I think theres some to be gained in braking for 4 and then carrying that extra speed into 5 and 5a. That is for another day however...

Now I'm trying to find a way to get out to Mid-Ohio on the 12-13....
Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Howdy,
Ummm, yes you should have come up and said hi...then invited us to your a/c suite. J/K It was HOT. Still fun.

Hope all is well

Bob
I got a chance to run the 2nd session on Saturday with HPDEIII. Seemed to be a good bunch of people.

The heat definitely made for an interesting weekend, that and all the oil dry that had to be put down in T3 and the SNAKE.

Stop by and say Hi if you get a chance next time. We get to all of the NASA MA events except for CMP.
Yeah I should have dragged my lazy butt up the hill. I usually hang out with the BPKM gang (they're a bad influence but they've been great instructors and have taught me a lot). So this weekend I just chilled with my buddies from the local club I'm a member of.

It was hot enough that it's convinced me to take the rest of the summer off. Otherwise I'd be down at Road Atlanta with NASA-SE. I'm sure I'll catch up to you guys somewhere.

I didn't see a 96 coupe out there in GR III. There were 3 Silver Vettes. A C4 race prepped, my C5, and a C6. Had fun with those guys and 3 P-cars that were quick. It was a good group to run with, aggressive but good communication with hand signals. And no one gave me the International Passing Signal this weekend. That was a plus

Graham
Old 08-01-2006, 07:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Pm sent

Glad ppl had a good time
Old 08-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

I didn't see a 96 coupe out there in GR III. There were 3 Silver Vettes. A C4 race prepped, my C5, and a C6. Had fun with those guys and 3 P-cars that were quick. It was a good group to run with, aggressive but good communication with hand signals. And no one gave me the International Passing Signal this weekend. That was a plus

Graham
Thats because he was running incognito. He runs a black C5 Z06. He can run but he can't hide He is also a very good instructor. He is also a bit ....well a lot

Bob
Old 08-01-2006, 09:07 AM
96LT1
Safety Car

He is also a bit ....well a lot

Bob

Thats me alright
Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Thats because he was running incognito. He runs a black C5 Z06. He can run but he can't hide He is also a very good instructor. He is also a bit ....well a lot

Bob
Oh ok. I saw a black Z06 with the numbers 455 in gold or something like that. The one I just couldn't miss was the black one with the big blue/white sheriffs badge on it. That makes a statement!

I can appreciate your feelings about the instructors. I have had 3 really good instuctors and 1 that just spent a session with me to help me tighten up the line. They're all a "little touched". Think about it. They jump in a Vette with a total stranger on track! Then they take you out in their car. It isn't to show you the line. It's to try and scare the crap out of you to get even!

But my hat is off to them and I really appreciate all the help I've been given.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:08 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Oh ok. I saw a black Z06 with the numbers 455 in gold or something like that. The one I just couldn't miss was the black one with the big blue/white sheriffs badge on it. That makes a statement!

I love my sheriff stars.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:23 PM
ramairbrc
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh ok. I saw a black Z06 with the numbers 455 in gold or something like that.
That was me... but not a ZO6, it's a 2000 FRC... but with 395 rwhp and ZO6 suspension, it's pretty darn close.

The one I just couldn't miss was the black one with the big blue/white sheriffs badge on it. That makes a statement!
That it does!

I can appreciate your feelings about the instructors. I have had 3 really good instuctors and 1 that just spent a session with me to help me tighten up the line. They're all a "little touched". Think about it. They jump in a Vette with a total stranger on track! Then they take you out in their car. It isn't to show you the line. It's to try and scare the crap out of you to get even!

But my hat is off to them and I really appreciate all the help I've been given.
Hats off to the instructors. And I'm glad I just happened to park at Corvette Hill. I think we need one of those at every event, so we don't get stuck in Bimmer-land or Miata-ville.

It was great to meet all of you.

Bob (the other one)

Get notified of new replies

To VIR HPDE1 & the "Point By" Racing Team

Old 08-01-2006, 08:07 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Yeah I should have dragged my lazy butt up the hill. I usually hang out with the BPKM gang (they're a bad influence but they've been great instructors and have taught me a lot). So this weekend I just chilled with my buddies from the local club I'm a member of.

It was hot enough that it's convinced me to take the rest of the summer off. Otherwise I'd be down at Road Atlanta with NASA-SE. I'm sure I'll catch up to you guys somewhere.

Graham
Graham glad to see you have started weaning off Comp Mode - now come on down to CMP and/or Roebling and we will get those tires warmed up!

By the way, the BPKM crowd is a known bad influence ......

jeff
Old 08-01-2006, 08:11 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ramairbrc
.....The HPDE coordinators would be well advised to pair up HPDE1 students with instructors who drive similar cars, at least similar configuration. ......I hope to continue this trend, and, of course, learn from instructors who drive different cars. But, I feel I will learn the most from instructors who drive a car like mine. Not just a vette, but front drive v8 cars that actually have some horsepower, which you can use to help manuever that car around the track.

Looking forward to next time.

Glad to see you had a good time. Most groups do try to match up instructors to similar cars - but it does not always happen. I have had some pretty dismal "instruction" myself over the last few years. There is a pretty good cadre of Vette instructors out there now....

jeff
Old 08-01-2006, 10:58 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wallyman424

I love my sheriff stars.
He, he. The first time I saw it I was trackside and said WTF is that paint job

Then I went up on the deck in front of my room and waited for you to go by. That's when I could actually make out what it was. Too funny. Something to do with, "Watch out, there's a new sheriff in town..."

Quick Reply: VIR HPDE1 & the "Point By" Racing Team