Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lugs/Studs - when to change?

Old 08-16-2006, 08:09 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Lugs/Studs - when to change?

I was taking off my wheels the other night to put the track pads on and started to think how many times I've done this in the past 2 years.

They were getting kind of ratty from all the impact action...

Do you guys change the lugs/studs out for new after so many mounts/dismounts?

I assume after a while they'd start to lose their ability to hold torque.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:15 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I changed mine when I needed to put on a wheel spacer the first time. Now it is each winter when I change the bearing I replace the studs too.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I changed mine when I needed to put on a wheel spacer the first time. Now it is each winter when I change the bearing I replace the studs too.
The hub assembly/bearings come with new studs, don't they?
Old 08-16-2006, 08:38 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Falcon
The hub assembly/bearings come with new studs, don't they?
Yes I take them out and put in ARP studs. Have a big pile or OEM studs now
Old 08-16-2006, 08:52 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I change em when the break, which is about 3 a season.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:57 AM
forhamilton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I had multiple problems at the track this past weekend with the jacketed lug nuts getting stuck in the impact socket. Any suggestions? Does anyone make a solid lug nut without jacketing for the track?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:10 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
I was taking off my wheels the other night to put the track pads on and started to think how many times I've done this in the past 2 years.

They were getting kind of ratty from all the impact action...

Do you guys change the lugs/studs out for new after so many mounts/dismounts?

I assume after a while they'd start to lose their ability to hold torque.
Most bolted connections are designed to have a static tension (torque) that exceeds the cyclic loading applied later on. If that is true, then the bolt will only break when the torque is applied while tightening and not from the cyclic service loads.

I have never known anyone who broke a properly torqued wheel stud. One guy swore up and down that his 3 broken studs where torqued, but when we removed the wheel, the two remaining lug nut were finger tight. With cyclic loading the studs break due to fatigue. The remaining 3 wheels on his car were torqued.

I raced a Fiero for 11 years with the same stock wheel studs without a failure. The wheels were on and off every other weekend during the AX/Timetrials season.The peak cornering loads on my G-Analyst were typically around 1.25 G's on R-compound tires, which is probably a lot more than GM ever planned on the lowly Fiero/Grand Am/Chevette suspension. I replaced the lug nuts 3 times over this period because the hex was wearing and difficult to get out of the Snap-On Flank Drive socket I used to torque wheels.

My 96 Grand Sport did 5 seasons without changing studs and the Z06 is on the 3rd season. Your mileage may vary.

By the way, I enjoyed your event at Grattan. Erik
Old 08-16-2006, 10:13 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Originally Posted by forhamilton
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I had multiple problems at the track this past weekend with the jacketed lug nuts getting stuck in the impact socket. Any suggestions? Does anyone make a solid lug nut without jacketing for the track?
I ditched the stock ones and got Dorman replacements from Rock Auto for about $1 each. They are open end OEM types that have outside thread for the screw on plastic caps that came on some Corvettes. You can probably buy the same thing at any GM dealership for a few $$ more.

I don't bother with the plastic caps.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:45 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably pick up some new lugs just because my cheapo Harbor Freight impact sockets have a tendency to round them off a bit.

Erik,

Glad you had a good time and looking forward to October. I need to get some of those scrubs

Going to pick up the car tonight and trailer it home.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:20 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I have some hardened open ended lug nuts I got from NAPA.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:46 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoOne
Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably pick up some new lugs just because my cheapo Harbor Freight impact sockets have a tendency to round them off a bit.

Erik,

Glad you had a good time and looking forward to October. I need to get some of those scrubs

Going to pick up the car tonight and trailer it home.
Seems a little unfair that the event organizer has all the breakage.

I would mount that manifold block rigidly to frame somwhere. I don't think the mass moving around does those flex lines any favors. Maybe even ditch the line-lock completely if you are not using it.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Those jacketed lug nuts are the pits. When the jacket comes off you have to pound a socket on the non-standard size nut in order to remove it. Then you are out the cost of a new socket in addition to the nut. For years GM used them on a lot of their other cars but not Corvettes. I was really disappointed when they went away from the good lug nuts with the plastic covers. I use a set of lug nuts from a 97 on my track wheels. They work fine but the ones with the threads on the outside for the plastic covers stick out further and are easier to get a wrench on. The lug nuts that GM used for the ZR1 and GS wheels are excellent.

Bill
Old 08-17-2006, 01:08 PM
forhamilton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Those jacketed lug nuts are the pits. When the jacket comes off you have to pound a socket on the non-standard size nut in order to remove it. Then you are out the cost of a new socket in addition to the nut. For years GM used them on a lot of their other cars but not Corvettes. I was really disappointed when they went away from the good lug nuts with the plastic covers. I use a set of lug nuts from a 97 on my track wheels. They work fine but the ones with the threads on the outside for the plastic covers stick out further and are easier to get a wrench on. The lug nuts that GM used for the ZR1 and GS wheels are excellent.

Bill
Thanks, where can I obtain similiar lug nuts without selling the farm?

Chris Hamilton
Old 08-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Some guys are getting lug nut sets from SLP. I think they're about $25 for a set of 20 with the plastic threaded caps.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:31 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

You'll feel them start to get harder to spin the nut on. Replace them before it gets completely jacked up with your race tires on at the track, in the rain, with no other way home.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:16 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Wheel studs

If you have stock ones definitely replace them with ARP or similar. I would get them an extra 1/2 in. in length in case you use brakes and or wheels that need spacers.

I just saw a Camaro that had stock studs after two seasons and his repair bill for replacing the front end of this car was rather expensive.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Rogue Leader
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I have 2 sets of lugs, open ended ones for my Track Wheels and closed chrome pretty ones for my street wheels....

Get notified of new replies

To Lugs/Studs - when to change?

Old 08-19-2006, 06:29 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
I have 2 sets of lugs, open ended ones for my Track Wheels and closed chrome pretty ones for my street wheels....
Foget plastic caps as you have to take them off for track days anyway.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:47 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Yes I take them out and put in ARP studs. Have a big pile or OEM studs now

I bet you do!
Old 08-21-2006, 11:22 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default Gorilla Nuts ...

From Gorilla-Auto

ACORN BULGE 13/16" HEX (13/16)
12mm X 1.50

1.4" length
60 degree seat

Quote from a recommender: "Try Gorilla lug nuts #91137 (bulge, acorn, 12mm x 1.5). Heavy, tough, superior chrome and lifetime warranty."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lugs/Studs - when to change?